Anyone fancy trying some fun long range shooting at Bisley? NOW MUCH EASIER THAN BEFORE!

Hi folks,

The NRA has made it easier to shoot in the Imperial shooting competition this year by expanding the “Any Rifle” competitions meaning you don’t need some weirdly configured, only good for targets rifle in .308W to shoot there – and as a pleasant surprise, SOME OF THESE EVENTS ARE ON A WEEKEND!

“Any Rifle” is a pretty flexible set of competition rules and as implies can use any rifle and scope as long as:

Less than .577” bore

A trigger weight of more than 0.5kg (Set a bit heavier is not a bad idea as they pick the rifle up against a hanging weight)

Not a .50 bmg or .338 cal

Less than 7000 Joules (5160) ft lbs Muzzle energy*

No bipods but you can use a front hand rest and a glove (“The dimensions of the area of contact must not exceed 145mm x 102mm”) most people use something like this

CJcqsJil.jpg

And you have to put your hand on that and hold the rifle.

No muzzle breaks - Makes shooting next to someone with one very anti-social.

You cannot have the butt of the rifle supported and it must be in the shoulder (so no rear bags or rear monopods etc I’m afraid).

So, that’s quite a lot of rifles that are allowed.

You can compete in the following events with your “Any rifle”

9V3cCOKl.png

Targets are an NRA long range target which is a big black dot which is 48” across. (Smaller scoring rings within that dot and larger ones outside it. Don't worry about the details, more bullets nearer middle = better)

So, if you fancy a go at some fun long range shooting, come and have a play! I’ll be there with my 7x64 deer rifle. I entered the 1,200 any rifle last year. First time I’d ever shot at 1,200 yds and I didn’t come last so don’t be embarrassed. If I can hit the target, you can too (Trust me). You don't even have to be an NRA Member.

If I can help in anyway, please shoot out.

Scrummy

Official website is here: https://online.nra.org.uk/mr-imp21

The official rule book is here: https://nra.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/NRA-Handbook-complete-2021.pdf?fbclid=IwAR0_ZN1FG3XFBkxvZl0ERRc8cxzxDJakIDN-oV-02iu2-Gi2_9frKDtY4OU

* A note on more powerful rifles - High Muzzle Energy aka “HME” – if your rifle has a muzzle energy of more than 4,500 Joules (3,319 ftlbs) you will have to do a zero check. What the NRA ask you to do is shoot 3 rounds at a target placed at ~24 yds. You shoot at the little black dot and the bullet holes should appear in the dashed box above it – This lets the Range Officers check that you are not so likely to plough rounds into the ground in front of the target or launch them over the top of the backstop and keeps the Ministry of Defense (who actually own Bisley) happy. (Also is a handy one to do to check your scope isn’t totally out of whack and you are tracking straight even if you aren't shooting something HME).

That looks great Scrummy.

Oh how I wish I lived closer......................😢

I would be really interested to see the results and which calibres do well, also how the S&M weirdos target shooters do vs those on a front rest.

With regard to the rest, can a bag/sandbag be used to rest the front of the rifle on?

ATB

☺️

1 minute ago, gruntus said:

That looks great Scrummy.

Oh how I wish I lived closer......................😢

I would be really interested to see the results and which calibres do well, also how the S&M weirdos target shooters do vs those on a front rest.

With regard to the rest, can a bag/sandbag be used to rest the front of the rifle on?

ATB

☺️

Hi gruntus,

So, usually the NRA publish the results online. Not sure if they collect the calibre. Might be interesting to find out. I'll certainly encourage them to do so.

Re: front rest. A bag or sandbag is likely to be a bit big but you don't need anything super fancy. A block of wood with some felt on is used by a quite a few

Generally, it would seem the NRA is trying to broaden it's appeal - which is welcome. (They are having the PRL visit in September I think). I live just over 20 miles from Bisley and I was amazed how little I could shoot there, not owning a .308W.

However, they seem to be changing a bit so trying to spread the news a bit and hopefully get them more atune with shooters of other disciplines and in other regions.

The NRA have started promoting a calendar for events away from Bisley too which is also a step in the right direction and to be encouraged.

If you change your mind and can get down, be great to meet up.

Scrummy

Yes, that's what I like about. You can enter pretty much anything in F-Open but it's just inimidating against some of those monsters. I wonder if the NRA might do well with Any Rile iof they held say 300 and 600 yd events so people could start getting their drops easier.

Scrummy

An opportunity for shorter long range stuff might be good. People could dip their toes into the water and see if they enjoyed it without having to invest in sloping rails and stuff. Most people could probably manage out to 300 with a standard deer legal rifle and with a bit of luck and maybe a 12 o'clock hold even out to 600. Probably a good plan to get more people interested.

David.

15 minutes ago, Kalahari said:

An opportunity for shorter long range stuff might be good. People could dip their toes into the water and see if they enjoyed it without having to invest in sloping rails and stuff. Most people could probably manage out to 300 with a standard deer legal rifle and with a bit of luck and maybe a 12 o'clock hold even out to 600. Probably a good plan to get more people interested.

David.

Yep.

I feel the it is slowly dawning on the NRA that they could recruit people to target shooting easier if they

1) Made it easier for people to use a rifle they own

2) Made it easier for people to work out their drops and they let people start off at a closer distance

Scrummy

Kalahari.... re your comment about 'a standard deer rifle' and the inference that it will not cope with long range.

The below is probably only outlining what you already know but here goes....😁

I think the only constraint there is in the optics as eg any 6mm or 6.5mm will do 1000 yards no problem with the right bullet.

If you have enough scope elevation or are willing to buy a modestly priced sloped rail you are surely good to go.

Dave, thanks for this. I accept your point completely. The point I was making that at the closer ranges people would be able to try out the whole experience without the trouble of altering the set up. In most cases the standard setup would cope with the distance and if people liked the 2hole ides they could get a sloped rail and move on. I just wondered if the fact that people had to spend extra money and change their setup for an unknown quantity prevents people even trying the event.

Tegards,

David.

2 hours ago, Kalahari said:

David.

The Phoenix Meeting in May has a 100/200/300 competition, lots of classes including Sporting rifle and 'ANY' rifle.

Then there is a 400/500/600 as well.

You can get squadded to do 1,2,300 AM then 4,5,600 PM and get drops for all ranges.

100 is standing, 200 is sitting, 3,4,5,600 are prone.

Then there is the 8,9,1000 comps as well, again lots of classes to shoot in.

It's not pressurised, just turn up at the designated time and the RO's herd the cats.

If you are a serious competitor it may frustrate you, but there are plenty of novices and they go at the pace of the slowest shooter, so to speak.

Then there is a 200 yard comp in the Spring and Autumn action weekends, with 'ANY' rifle classes, with prone slow time, prone rapid, sitting slow time and sitting rapid.

Plenty of opportunities if you can get to Bisley.

It's a good point both ways in my view.

A lot of stalking calibres will get out to 1,000 but the way most stalking rifles and scopes will run out of elevation.

I just like it when people do more shooting. So, as someone who took a hunting rifle out 1,200 yds last year, happy to talk anyone about my experiences.

Scrummy

4 minutes ago, Roy W said:

The Phoenix Meeting in May has a 100/200/300 competition, lots of classes including Sporting rifle and 'ANY' rifle.

Then there is a 400/500/600 as well.

You can get squadded to do 1,2,300 AM then 4,5,600 PM and get drops for all ranges.

100 is standing, 200 is sitting, 3,4,5,600 are prone.

Then there is the 8,9,1000 comps as well, again lots of classes to shoot in.

It's not pressurised, just turn up at the designated time and the RO's herd the cats.

If you are a serious competitor it may frustrate you, but there are plenty of novices and they go at the pace of the slowest shooter, so to speak.

Then there is a 200 yard comp in the Spring and Autumn action weekends, with 'ANY' rifle classes, with prone slow time, prone rapid, sitting slow time and sitting rapid.

Plenty of opportunities if you can get to Bisley.

Sounds great Roy. I am going to try and shoot the Phoenix in May, mainly for the gallery rifle though.

Should try the Sporting rifle stuff though due to committee commitments..

Scrummy

29 minutes ago, Scrumbag said:

Sounds great Roy. I am going to try and shoot the Phoenix in May, mainly for the gallery rifle though.

Should try the Sporting rifle stuff though due to committee commitments..

Scrummy

Lots of people use it as an opportunity to check drops at each distance. it is rare to be able to shoot all distances in one day.

Don't get too competitive though as there are lots of rules transgressions, some innocent mistakes and others, well..............

1 hour ago, Roy W said:

Lots of people use it as an opportunity to check drops at each distance. it is rare to be able to shoot all distances in one day.

Don't get too competitive though as there are lots of rules transgressions, some innocent mistakes and others, well..............

Surely not! Unsporting persons taking nice relaxed rules and bending them!?!

21 hours ago, gruntus said:

Thanks Scrummy,

I like the idea of removing all "driver aids" to level the playing field and it also encourages good fundamental shooting form which is no bad thing.

All the best

G

Gruntus

excellent observation - but almost heresy in some quarters 😉

2 minutes ago, terryh said:

Gruntus

excellent observation - but almost heresy in some quarters 😉

Actually that's why I like MR. You don't need a bipod that costs more than a small car. I know it's a little far feteched but I'd like to think it's not too unlike lying down in a field and shooting.

Scrummy

I read one of Nathan Fosters books and he certainly advocates shooting off your back pack/day bag. 

He even discusses using a hand resting on the scope to steady as well.........

I've never had the opportunity to try his techniques but the NRA comp would be an ideal opportunity.

Cheers

G 🙂

18 minutes ago, gruntus said:

I read one of Nathan Fosters books and he certainly advocates shooting off your back pack/day bag. 

Gruntus,

This is my approach, you need to carry a  pack of some kind (keep it small otherwise you fill it with unnecessary crap) so why not use it.

To this end I made up a light 'packer' to go into the hydration pouch as an experiment (NB very much a WIP 😉). you can rotate the pack to give the necessary height you need, might cut a divot out of the packer to allow various heights.

packer.thumb.jpg.d3e5fc34778bdcfc8394c342d8ef4860.jpg

Saves ending up looking like an advert for sofa warehouse carrying about 4 different cushions round 🙄.

Hopefully pack and one good, well designed rear bag (that 'locks up') and I'm done.

T

On 3/27/2021 at 12:14 PM, terryh said:

Gruntus,

This is my approach, you need to carry a  pack of some kind (keep it small otherwise you fill it with unnecessary crap) so why not use it.

To this end I made up a light 'packer' to go into the hydration pouch as an experiment (NB very much a WIP 😉). you can rotate the pack to give the necessary height you need, might cut a divot out of the packer to allow various heights.

packer.thumb.jpg.d3e5fc34778bdcfc8394c342d8ef4860.jpg

Saves ending up looking like an advert for sofa warehouse carrying about 4 different cushions round 🙄.

Hopefully pack and one good, well designed rear bag (that 'locks up') and I'm done.

T

That's excellent T, I would probably end up using my sandwich box and a bottle of fizzy pop and hope for the best!! 😁

All the best

G🙂

16 hours ago, gruntus said:

That's excellent T, I would probably end up using my sandwich box and a bottle of fizzy pop and hope for the best!! 😁

Iron Brew no doubt? 😉