.22 Semi Auto - Ruger or Remington etc

tonyshooter

53 minutes ago, Dodder said:

How about an AMT which is a stainless clone of a Ruger 10/22?  Not many about but I think there is currently a rather nice looking one on Guntrader?

i sold one of those a while ago in a more original form .  Shot really well and felt like a heavy 10/22  . Shot everything i put through it no problems   but cant keep them all ....

The Ruger 10/22 is definitely a good choice. The factory trigger can be on the heavy side @ +/- 6 to 8+lbs, so if you can find a used one with a BX trigger (2 to 3lbs) then that would be the way to go. A new BX is around the £90 mark, so if you can find an old 10/22 for around £140'ish, you'll still come out with a decent rifle. There are also plenty around with Volquartzen/Timney/etc triggers fitted, but they can sometimes be a bit pricey.

The slide can be lightened to accept subsonic amunition, and with a moderator fitted they can be vewy vewy quiet, so you won't frighten the bunnies too much.

What you get will usually depend on how much you're prepared to pay, with some 10/22's going for well over 1K, but the bog standard rifle is definitely good enough for 99% of any shooters needs.

I had an AMT Lightning when they first came out in about '92, it came in the butler creek folding stock, it was properly accurate and functioned flawlessly-I would recommend them

i sold it and regretted it--like you do

i now have a stainless 10/22 in the same folding stock, so I am happy again 😊 

Just to put the cat amongst the pigeons I have just accumulated a Browning SA 22 to get back a bit of a misspent youth when I had one mainly as a snake rifle. As soon as Mark Drakeford lets us out to play I expect to have a lot of fun. It is the first semi 22 design ever built. In production for over 100 years so something might be right in the design.

Bit of history and a lot of fun.

David.