Posting of shooting equipment

Richie88

Advice wanted please gents.....

Whats the situation with regards to posting spent ammunition in the post (RM)? I won’t deprime the cases but they are most certainly ‘spent’. 

Also where do we stand with posting (RM) rifle components? Nothing pressure bearing as such - Just items like muzzle brakes, pistol grips, etc  

Royal Mail clearly state no ammunition other than lead pellets are to be sent in their system. 

The above may be a silly question but I’m most certainly under the impression that there are no silly questions when it comes to firearms. 

cheers

Non licensable gun parts can be posted no problem. It’s only things like chambered barrels, receivers, bolts and sound suppressors that cannot. So as you say, muzzle brakes and pistol grips are fine.

Spent ammunition is also fine. Though I’d personally suggest that if it’s a ‘dummy round’ (as in it has a bullet seated in the neck but no powder) then I’d use a case without a primer, spent or otherwise, because we all know how ridiculous or uneducated the authorities and non firearms people can be on these things.

And to that end, I personally wouldn’t go into detail what the consignment contains in the description. I’d just say something like ‘sporting goods’ if shipping non licensable gun parts. Or ‘brass metal bits’ for spent cases or ‘lead metal bits’ for bullets.

Ive always used MyHermes for these sorts of things and never had any issues.

On 12/8/2020 at 8:49 AM, Catch-22 said:

Non licensable gun parts can be posted no problem. It’s only things like chambered barrels, receivers, bolts and sound suppressors that cannot. So as you say, muzzle brakes and pistol grips are fine.

Sporting firearms and components can be sent through Royal Mail but the length might be the limiting factor, then you have to go with Parcel Force. PF will only do it for account holders and you need an RFD to get one.

Live ammunition cannot be sent though.

• 1 month later...

Gents,

just been looking at the post office regulations re shipping (non firearms related) and came across this , as in it appears you ‘can’ post section 1 firearms:

https://business.help.royalmail.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/867

Brgds T

23 hours ago, terryh said:

Gents,

just been looking at the post office regulations re shipping (non firearms related) and came across this , as in it appears you ‘can’ post section 1 firearms:

https://business.help.royalmail.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/867

Brgds T

You must have missed my post above then.

Yes you can, firearms are not prohibited. There are certain packaging and service requirements, but that's it.

I think the longest parcel for Royal Mail is 90cm (in tube form) and then the diameter cannot be bigger than about 7cm, if I read the chart correctly (although that might be PF only too). Or box like parcels can be 61cm long only.
Any bigger has to go Parcel Force.

It's how they get out of sending stuff - it's allowed but only if it is smaller than it could possibly be, legally or practically.