Hello all,

have two Tac a1s, I keep them clean and looked after using boretech products.

however I recently discovered some light rust in both rifles chambers, the gun room and cabinet clearly has a humidity problem so will be shoving as much silica gel type products in there ASAP.

however, I didn’t expect this given I was using bore tech eliminator, which itself is recommended as a bore cleaner as well as an anti rust measure.

have read that EEZOX is a gold standard in anti rust, so will give that a try before putting the rifles away, and clean out the bore and chamber before shooting.

thoughts welcome!

Stainless or chrome moly..?

Is it rust or brass deposits from the cases. Does it look a bit spotty looking in through the breech or are you using a borecam to view it more clearly..?

Every bore clean I use a 45 cal bisley bronze brush to keep the chambers clean.

Cabinet heater such as a vivarium pad and something like VP 90 spray at end of cleaning is suggested 

4 hours ago, No i deer said:

Stainless or chrome moly..?

Is it rust or brass deposits from the cases. Does it look a bit spotty looking in through the breech or are you using a borecam to view it more clearly..?

Every bore clean I use a 45 cal bisley bronze brush to keep the chambers clean.

Chrome moly - have a bore scope arriving so at present it appears to be rust - good idea on the brush!

3 hours ago, Ronin said:

Cabinet heater such as a vivarium pad and something like VP 90 spray at end of cleaning is suggested 

Thanks ronin!

just a point on silica-gel.  It only works until its adsorbed moisture.  That can be quite quick - ie weeks not months.  If the cabinet is being opened and closed regularly it introduces moist air.  Silica-gel is best for closed cabinets where the dryer air is 'trapped'

Some types can be regenerated with a long low bake in the oven .  I have 2Kg of the type that changes colour when it's absorbed as much as it can - turns dark blue.  Bake it out and it's light orange.

Many packaging supply companies will supply large tubs of the stuff for peanuts.  I use loose weave bags (little sacks from eBay) to hang in the cabinet, let the air circulate, easy to fill and empty for regeneration.

A heater is ok but a dehumidifier is better, it removes the water rather than just raising the vapour pressure like a heater.

1 hour ago, Popsbengo said:

just a point on silica-gel.  It only works until its adsorbed moisture.  That can be quite quick - ie weeks not months.  If the cabinet is being opened and closed regularly it introduces moist air.  Silica-gel is best for closed cabinets where the dryer air is 'trapped'

Some types can be regenerated with a long low bake in the oven .  I have 2Kg of the type that changes colour when it's absorbed as much as it can - turns dark blue.  Bake it out and it's light orange.

Many packaging supply companies will supply large tubs of the stuff for peanuts.  I use loose weave bags (little sacks from eBay) to hang in the cabinet, let the air circulate, easy to fill and empty for regeneration.

A heater is ok but a dehumidifier is better, it removes the water rather than just raising the vapour pressure like a heater.

Many thanks for your feedback mate!

1 hour ago, Kalahari said:

A 410 shotgun brush works in a 223 and may be cheaper.

David.

David - many thanks - considered this but will try and get one which attaches to my boretech rods

The vivarium pads or ‘Golden Rods’ are a good idea, but only if you can easily get a cable into your cabinet. Much better than Silica gel is a ‘Vapour Phase Corrosion Inhibitor’. The one that is marketed for the shooting community is Napier VP90, with the sachets being sold specifically for cabinets.

I favor two product's, Birchwood Casey Rust Inhibiting Grease or Corrosion X. Both work! I have a heating rod in the gun safe with a low humidity environ I still need something to stop all forms of rust. This is the third rust related Tika post i remember so it may not be all Bore tech related.