.223 load

Orka Akinse

Surprisingly, to me at least, my Rem 700 1 in 12 twist .223 shoots 60g VMax very well.

I've used Vit N140 at the 26grain mark as a trial load but I'm flattening and cratering the primers a smidgen too much for my preference.

Anyone else got a good load or powder they can recommend for this bullet wt please?

OA

when I did shoot 223 it was using N140 and under slightly heavier bullets (69 & 73g).

from memory it was in the 23g/24g range - but that was in my rifle

what speeds are you getting? Which primers?

t

The Remmy action will normally look like it's cratering the primers (mine does even on light loads).

Also soft primers have a tendency to appear to flow (I found Winchester always flatten but not flow).

Vhit site shows the upper end as being above 27 Grn, so you still have enough space to allow for temperature variation.

Any signs heavy bolt lift?

On 7/27/2020 at 5:16 PM, cooter said:

The Remmy action will normally look like it's cratering the primers (mine does even on light loads).

Also soft primers have a tendency to appear to flow (I found Winchester always flatten but not flow).

Vhit site shows the upper end as being above 27 Grn, so you still have enough space to allow for temperature variation.

Any signs heavy bolt lift?

No but I am starting to see the bolt face leaving marks on the head at 26g,  Didn't notice at first until I had a real close look. I've bought a tub of N133 so will experiment with that shortly work permitting.

Try N133 and work up to 23.2gr.  YOU NEED to use magnum primers NOT 20 thou cup thickness standard primers with 223.

N133 works, IMHO, better than N140 with this bullet.  I get 3100fps from 23.2gr.   My initial load was 23.6 for incredible low ES/SD but it started blowing magnum primers and a check on BBT's internal Ballistics simulator showed this to be over-pressure (60KPSI) despite various load manuals showing it to be within safe loads, so be careful.  

As a separate note, hats off to "borbal" of this parish as his revised BBT seems now to be bang on with most of my loads (usually within 100fps or far better and my load ladders would correlate with BBT's upper recommended pressures) so I use it with confidence rather than keep having to bother RS for their QL data!

In my .223 Remington, with a 20" barrel and 1:9 twist I use 69 grain Sierra Match King, Lapua brass and 25grs of Vit140 with good results speed is 2811ft/s (this works in my rifle, don't know about others). For results see my post here:

https://ukvarminting.com/topic/50919-223-rem-longer-range-load/?tab=comments#comment-382249

• 2 weeks later...

Hi lads, just joined site its nice to see shooters trying to see how far they can push .223 calibre, I shoot a .223 savage 26 inch barrel with a 7 twist, 77grn TMK with RS40 powder, 1,000 yrds is no problem to it, been out to 1400 yrds with it but you need a good calm day for to do it. Will be mounting a new 30 inch barrel on it for next year with a heavier bullet and i will be attempting a mile shot with it

I found good results in my Tikka T3, 1 in 8  twist with Lapua brass, 55 V-Max bullets, Fed Gold primers, and 25.1 grains of Viht N135! Averaging on the Chronograph at 3200 ft/s.

It was my general purpose round for quite a few years, but I've switched over to N133 and 53 grain V-Max, now i can get hold of them!!. I'm more or less happy with the load. With the same velocity as the 55, at 3200 ft/s. Just need a bit of work on the seating depth and it'll be sorted.

Chaz