Moa or mrad

Scf31

hi all friend of mine is looking to start shooting and is looking to know whats best moa or mrad he has a 223 rem 700 looking to do 3 to say 6/7 yards scope he's also looking is a vortex viper hst 6/24/50 sfp 

Any help much appreciated 

Thanks 

A subject covered repeatedly so worth a search on the forum:

There's no 'better' just preference.  I use both.  MOA is easier to understand and apply the rule of thumb that one MOA is approx. 1 inch at 100yds, 2 at 200, 3 at 300 etc etc.

Ranging at long distances (+1000) is easier with a mil scope (in my opinion) especially if first focal plane.

Whatever the choice, ensure the turrets and the reticle are all in the same measurement system.

If purely shooting on targets with marking (butts or electronic) a simple fine reticle is to be preferred.

Others will have entirely different opinions - all as valid.

Vortex Viper is a good scope with possibly the best warrantee available.

Personal preference 

Neither is better than the other 

Just a unit of measurement 

Be mindful that your friend chooses a scope with a reticle that corresponds to the turret clicks.

Eg, a MOA scope with elevation and windage in MOA needs to have a reticle that is also MOA. Same with MIL, MIL reticle must have MIL turrets.

Most modern scopes have matching reticles to turrets but some older designs or those at the lower end of the price range still have mismatched values.

Vipers are nice, I once had the Gen1 Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP in MIL and was perfectly fine, especially for just starting out.

Also worth noting that with FFP you don’t need to place it on max magnification in order to have corresponding clicks to reticle marks. Reticle to turret clicks match at any magnification. If using a SFP scope, when not in max magnification you’ll need to run some conversions to match clicks to reticle hash marks. It’s for this reason why I and a lot of other people prefer FFP.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2014/10/mil-vs-moa-reticles-which-are-better-for-tactical-tasks/

Other factors to consider are FFP or SFP, also CW turrets or CCW turrets. Then there's the minefield of reticles. Fortunately scopes hold their value and can be resold if they don't suit.

Regards

JCS

OK thanks all for your feedback on this matter,

Some great advice and answers.

One thing I should of asked in this thread is that he has a kestrel 4500, and wants to know whats the easiest way to apply information from kestrel to scope ie clicks/dial in, sorry if this is an asked / dump question, as am no use to him lol 

Thanks 

5 hours ago, TJC said:

MOA turrets, MIL reticle...best of both worlds 🤩

That's evil. 

To the OP: Do NOTdo this!

Scf31

Get him to try Strelok (free) or Strelok Pro app on IOS and android (it has a red star on a yellow background as the logo) for working out what to dial or hold off for range, atmospherics and wind data. You can set it up for either MOA or MIL output. The output will only be as good as the information he puts in to it though.

Scotch_egg

I am glad you rate that book as I bought it a week or two ago.

Matt