Rust pitting or whats the cause

Lloyd

So I got the rifle back after 10 months with the barrel replaced by Tikka in Finland. I continuously  had to chase both the supplier and retailer throughout the whole process.  The first thing I did was scope the barrel for my own record on 10 Apr 2021 barrel was dirty which I expected from test firing so i cleaned with KG-12 carbon remover before I mounted and got the gun ready to set up to zero . On the 30 Aug 2021 after 70 rounds down the tube I re scoped the barrel to discover the same problem starting to happen once again. 

I was super cautious with the new barrel and took very good care and took every precaution to keep it well maintained.

Have contacted the retailer and advised of the problem once again they are trying to blame me this time by the few emails that have gone back and forth.

I have now advised the retailer because of his terrible attitude that he will have to deal with my solicitor this time as I want my money back this time and refuse to send the gun away again for another shitty barrel to be fitted and be without it again for god knows how long.

I've seen other threads on this site for the same Tikka T3 TAC A1 gun in different calibers with the same issues since I originally started this thread.. (Links to threads to follow) (Links to Youtube videos to follow)     

*ADVICE*

To anyone considering buying a Tikka T3 TAC A1 is don't unless you are going to immediately going to rebarrel it. 

19 minutes ago, Lloyd said:

So I got the rifle back after 10 months with the barrel replaced by Tikka in Finland. I continuously  had to chase both the supplier and retailer throughout the whole process.  The first thing I did was scope the barrel for my own record on 10 Apr 2021 barrel was dirty which I expected from test firing so i cleaned with KG-12 carbon remover before I mounted and got the gun ready to set up to zero . On the 30 Aug 2021 after 70 rounds down the tube I re scoped the barrel to discover the same problem starting to happen once again. 

I was super cautious with the new barrel and took very good care and took every precaution to keep it well maintained.

Have contacted the retailer and advised of the problem once again they are trying to blame me this time by the few emails that have gone back and forth.

I have now advised the retailer because of his terrible attitude that he will have to deal with my solicitor this time as I want my money back this time and refuse to send the gun away again for another shitty barrel to be fitted and be without it again for god knows how long.

I've seen other threads on this site for the same Tikka T3 TAC A1 gun in different calibers with the same issues since I originally started this thread.. (Links to threads to follow) (Links to Youtube videos to follow)     

*ADVICE*

To anyone considering buying a Tikka T3 TAC A1 is don't unless you are going to immediately going to rebarrel it. 

While I sympathise with your particular issue, the fact is that there's plenty of these rifles out there that don't have the problem you've encountered.  10th April to 30th August;  can I ask how many times did you shoot and clean between those dates?  How many rounds in a string do you shoot and do you clean after every shoot?  Do you push a lubed patch through at the end of your clean?

4 minutes ago, Lloyd said:

I don't doubt there's a problem,  I've read through that thread - doesn't really shed any light on the issue other than to simply blame the manufacturer.  If it's metallurgy then why don't all Tikka barrels fail,  if it's a batch of 'bad' barrels then why would your new barrel also fail as it's surely a different batch? 

15 minutes ago, Popsbengo said:

While I sympathise with your particular issue, the fact is that there's plenty of these rifles out there that don't have the problem you've encountered.  10th April to 30th August;  can I ask how many times did you shoot and clean between those dates?  How many rounds in a string do you shoot and do you clean after every shoot?  Do you push a lubed patch through at the end of your clean?

If I shoot strings they are 3 shot strings which since I got the gun back have not done many of. No more than 3 occasions. Its been cleaned regularly because of what happened last barrel i use the KG line of cleaners KG-12 and KG-Copper eliminator and after each shoot it gets a minimum of brunox gun oil and a bore snake through it. 

A bit of rust / pitting is nothing to really worry about , if you have a half decent round count or just a hard life in general, i just put it down to being used , barrels are just a consumable item . 
I would be more concerned about throat being burned than pitting , a barrel will shoot with a pitted barrel I know . 

I think some  people worry needlessly. The rifle will tell you when you need a new barrel , not the bloke trying to sell you a new one 😂

I have an  30 yrs old .220 swift over 3k round count at 3850/4000 FPS  the barrel looks like the inside of a scaffold tube and I will still shoot  0.2 mils .

But glad you have it sorted . 

Just now, Lloyd said:

If I shoot strings they are 3 shot strings which since I got the gun back have not done many of. No more than 3 occasions. Its been cleaned regularly because of what happened last barrel i use the KG line of cleaners KG-12 and KG-Copper eliminator and after each shoot it gets a minimum of brunox gun oil and a bore snake through it. 

so, from the point of view of a target shooter, hardly anything.  Bore snakes are the work of the Devil, pull all manner of sh1te through.

So you might shoot, run a bore snake with oil and put away, maybe for many weeks?

The chaps I know with the the same rifles shoot hundreds of rounds.  Maybe something in that?

good morning my cz527 varmint 223rem did exactly the same thing,cz said i had used reloaded ammunition and this had voided any warranty,i had and was honest so my fault!! you were lucky that sako/tikka helped with the new barrel if you read their warranty it does state it is only warranted if factory ammunition is used

2 minutes ago, Popsbengo said:

so, from the point of view of a target shooter, hardly anything.  Bore snakes are the work of the Devil, pull all manner of sh1te through.

So you might shoot, run a bore snake with oil and put away, maybe for many weeks?

The chaps I know with the the same rifles shoot hundreds of rounds.  Maybe something in that?

I only have the gun back 4 months! And the bore snake only does an oil clean out after being out of the safe even if it has not been fired on a shooting trip 

12 minutes ago, banus02 said:

good morning my cz527 varmint 223rem did exactly the same thing,cz said i had used reloaded ammunition and this had voided any warranty,i had and was honest so my fault!! you were lucky that sako/tikka helped with the new barrel if you read their warranty it does state it is only warranted if factory ammunition is used

I see that in their warranty but I have not used reloaded ammo in this barrel 

I take it the first video was the original barrel?

The 2nd video - looks pretty ok to me, copper fouled and very oily but ok.

1 minute ago, Popsbengo said:

I take it the first video was the original barrel?

The 2nd video - looks pretty ok to me, copper fouled and very oily but ok.

First video is the replacement barrel that Tikka fitted i hadnt even fired the gun 

Second video is after 70ish shots in the 4 months

3 minutes ago, Lloyd said:

First video is the replacement barrel that Tikka fitted i hadnt even fired the gun 

Second video is after 70ish shots in the 4 months

28 minutes ago, Lloyd said:

OK, I see.  2nd barrel new and 2nd barrel after 70 rounds and storage cleaned & lubed.

12 minutes ago, Lloyd said:

Have had to re zero it three times in recent weeks. bullets are hitting lower than when i zero it at 100 yards. 1.5"  low first time 3" low second time and 2" low third time. very little windage corrections on all three occasions but they also had to be made 

The issue you report wouldn't cause the shift in zero.