Tikka Tac A1 - 308 barrel pitting issues?

cdrsss

Whilst recently speaking to my gunsmith he advised he'd had 2 people recently requiring new barrels for their 308 Tac A1's.

Both apparently only had about 800 rounds through them and despite (allegedly) religious cleaning had significant pitting (requiring new barrels).

Might this be a batch problem with some Tikka 308 barrels?

Had the same problem with my 6.5 CM version shot about 600 through it and the Barrel had rusted out. probably my fault for not cleaning as often as i could but even so a pretty poor show, New Bartlein fitted now by Neil Mckillop, not shot it yet but if it shoot as well as the previous barrel, i will be happy and i'm sure it will.

Taken one off last week, that never shot well, and had only 5-600 rds down it.

I've never seen such a bad barrel, it was scored and cross hatched down its entire length. Never going to shoot. 

3 hours ago, baldie said:

Taken one off last week, that never shot well, and had only 5-600 rds down it.

I've never seen such a bad barrel, it was scored and cross hatched down its entire length. Never going to shoot. 

What do you think the problem is?  Machining faults? I understand they are hammer forged barrels and;  "each barrel is inspected at the factor" according to Tikka.

7 hours ago, Popsbengo said:

What do you think the problem is?  Machining faults? I understand they are hammer forged barrels and;  "each barrel is inspected at the factor" according to Tikka.

These were machining marks. It had definatly not been inspected. Fit for growing tomatoes up.

Had several similar - stainless barrels that had encrusted rust after a couple of weeks use.

Rifles back at GMK now..

The problem is far from specific to Tikkas. Many shooters have a hopeless cleaning regimen and leave patches of carbon that result in pitting. Only a borescope can really tell you how effective your cleaning efforts have been.

50 minutes ago, Chris-NZ said:

The problem is far from specific to Tikkas. Many shooters have a hopeless cleaning regimen and leave patches of carbon that result in pitting. Only a borescope can really tell you how effective your cleaning efforts have been.

Agreed ! 
I have a .308 tic tac ( 2 years old ) with a round count of 1865 and the bore is mint 

I also have a .223 T3X super varmint in stainless steel  ( 18 months old ) round count of 1500 of hot hunting loads and bore is 98% , just the slightest bit of erosion around neck , that’s it. 

2 hours ago, Chris-NZ said:

This does seem very related to Tikka and we've not had much recently about pitted low-shot count barrels otherwise

The 2 unfortunate owners were apparently both adamant that they had religiously cleaned their barrels - so it was not a cleaning issue if that is to be believed. Also appears other people on this thread have had similar recent issues with low round count Tikka barrels. I've not seen this before on the forums, so appears to be relatively recent issue.

Religiously cleaned ?  I think I've found the problem - the erosive quality of holy water, well known in vampire society

😁