300m Electronic @ Bisley

martin_b

Ive got an hour booked on the Electronics at Bisley this week-end at 300m . After I've shot away a days wages with the 6.5CM & .223  I was thinking it might be entertaining to try the .22LR however ive got a couple of worries. 

1: Will the electronic target register a  rimfire round?

2: Is it bad form to even try. as the chance of me hitting a working bit of the target is increased.  ( it its windy I woudn't consider itrying it)

cheers

Martin

Martin,

Pretty certain the bullet needs to be supersonic at the target so 'no' as most accurate 22rf rounds are not even that at the muzzle!

T

2 hours ago, Private Marker said:

You need a manual target, and a person with two ears!

Not an option ATM.  

Thanks..  I'll stick with centerfire ammo then.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry but one thing the new system at Bisley has shown is how much i much prefer the electronic version.  Im sure there is still a place for manual targets,  but for what i need electronics are perfect, the only downside is the ammount of Ammo im using with no message 4's 🙂

8 minutes ago, martin_b said:

Sorry but one thing the new system at Bisley has shown is how much i much prefer the electronic version.  Im sure there is still a place for manual targets,  but for what i need electronics are perfect, the only downside is the ammount of Ammo im using with no message 4's 🙂

I think you have had bad markers in the past. Have you only had NRA markers?

>I think you have had bad markers in the past. Have you only had NRA markers?

Im afraid so, they have ranged from Ok to abismal. However the thing  I really like about the electronics is the extra info you can get, speed and group size. Plus its simple to take a picture of the group.

I understand you have vested interest in manual targets but they do seem a bit of an anachronism to me these days.

Yes, obviously I do work on manual targets. I'm an NRA marker, as well as a private marker. As I am told I am better than OK, we obviously haven't met across the ranges. I can't remember when I last had a message 4.

Interestingly electronic targets aren't used for competitions. As you can see from the other posts in this thread, electronic targets aren't suitable for all disciplines. 

I could tell you many many stories about the electronic targets going wrong. Every time I get a control radio, I hear somebody complain about the electronic targets.

As much as it seems the NRA would like to be rid of the markers, it's not going to happen any time soon, so I look forward to marking for you some time in the future 😁

Martin

Electronic targets are used at 300 metres for International matches, European, World Cups, and World Championships, and have been for the last 20 years, on well maintained units they are no problems. 

The UK NRA 300 mt championships is held on the Kongsbergs units in the 300 mt shed on range 10 at Bisley, and used by the gb300m club through out every year with no problems. Eectronics are valid for British, European and world records.

Announcement this after noon from the NRA,  looks like everything is planned to open up at Bisley on the expectation of a further government relaxation on July the 4th.

Sorry I wasn't clear. I meant outdoor competitions at Bisley. All the electronic targets are removed for competitions like the Imperial.

I just checked the NRA Facebook and the dates are not clear. At one point it states Mon 4 July. Also no mention of Tuesdays . At least the bogs are open again!

17 hours ago, Private Marker said:

I just had a look at the membership and I don't think they would have me without a 5 day training 

On 6/20/2020 at 7:25 AM, John MH said:

Become a member then as you'll get all the email updates.

If you’re competent and safe already you can do the safe shooter certification condensed into one day, which is what I did ,

it consists of a full day of  Safety awareness and includes live firing with 22 s/a lever action rifle and 308 target rifles all weapons and ammo included ,culminating with a short exam at the end of the course, I found it enjoyable ,go for it.