Off the shelf relaoding bench..

martin_b

Hi Guy's

Im beginning to assemble bits to start reloading,and a good bench seems the place to start. Unfortunately due to space constraints a folding 'workmate'  style is going to be the most practical.  On youtube I've seen a couple of videos where people seem to have there presses mounted in a stand that then  clamps into channels/rails on the bench, which looks ideal.

Is this something you can get in the UK, and if you can will it dictate what press i have to use? 

thanks

Martin

I followed these instructions and built a portable stand for my RCBS Rockchucker Supreme press.

Works a complete treat. My loads have very little run-out. I reload off my dining room table, so it’s easy to take the press out of the cupboard and plonk it on the table. Or if doing more mundane tasks (eg depriming, expanding necks etc) I can place it on the sitting room floor whilst I watch some TV.

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2012/11/12/portable-reloading-press-plans/

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2012/07/17/rcbs-rock-chucker-reloading-press-mounting-template-dimensions/

7 hours ago, Catch-22 said:

I followed these instructions and built a portable stand for my RCBS Rockchucker Supreme press.

Works a complete treat. My loads have very little run-out. I reload off my dining room table, so it’s easy to take the press out of the cupboard and plonk it on the table. Or if doing more mundane tasks (eg depriming, expanding necks etc) I can place it on the sitting room floor whilst I watch some TV.

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2012/11/12/portable-reloading-press-plans/

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2012/07/17/rcbs-rock-chucker-reloading-press-mounting-template-dimensions/

Do you then clamp it to the table is is it OK to use just free standing?

ta

Free standing. 

With the press it’s heavy as f***. Doesn’t move around unless you’re doing a f/l sizing operation, but I simply hold the front down with one hand as the ram handle goes up with the other hand. 

I must say, I thought I’d really miss out not having a dedicated reloading bench with press bolted to it. But the portability with this is great!

It is actually very easy - the instructions are super simple to follow.

I am not a DIYer, my best endeavour with making something from wood was about 20yrs ago in DT class at school. But I found this nice and simple and everything available from B&Q.

I’ll snap a few pics of mine later on.

90779963-5F04-4D12-9B82-79F6733FFD67.jpeg

8BEAA677-6591-41FF-90BB-49CFF03A20CE.jpeg

44D1CC69-051B-40DA-8817-297096D639A5.jpeg

Martin just get a nice wide solid board of timber, the width of your kitchen table plus depth of press, hold press on end of timber,mark the two bolt holes and drill through board to clamp press down with M10 or m12 bolts with wingnuts so the press hangs over table, then just g clamp the other end of boatd and press end to table. You can screw a block of timber on side where you set up scales to mount powder thrower too.

Simple and when done, put it all away to get out of the wife's way😀

Easier than that.

One Steel plate, two clamps. I suppose a solid bit of wood would work as well ?

Open the bench a bit. Steel plate onto the surface. Clamp the press and steel plate onto the bench. One clamp angled in at the front, one at the back. You get the idea

No drilling, no bolts, comes apart fast when you need the space for something else.

If you either use a flat ply top and srew and glue a 4x2 on to it (through the cetre of the short sides) you can clamp it securely into a black and decker workmate .. Similar thing with these wooden press holders .