Novice to reloading??

Drivinfish

Well, OK you're on a budget. But if you buy the cheapest stuff you'll only end up replacing it as you get more into it.

Like the man said - 'Buy the best and cry once.'

There is some decent value stuff out there - for example, the Lee Cast Classic press is one of the few Lee branded items worth buying. Forster make great dies and, you'll need some scales - this is a minefield so I'll let others take over.

Stand by to be pounded with good advice!

When I started to reload (and I am still a novice), the best thing I did was attend the reloading course at Diggle run by 'The Gum Pimp' and Stuart of Osprey Rifles - it could avoid many expensive and/or even dangerous mistakes - well worth the £35 and you even receive a Hornady reloading manual in the price - what's not to like!

Look at Fox Firearms for any deals on reloading equipment, I eventually bought the Hornady Lock n Load single stage press. I started with one set of dies, brass, bullets and powder and added as required.

Find a member of your club (if your in one) who has been reloading for some time (experience) and who reloads the caliber your thinking of (knowledge) and who's results speak for themselves (skill).

Ask if he/ she wouldn't mind showing you their method of reloading - in general, most people are happy to show their process and advise on the potential equipment your thinking of buying. They may even know others with stuff for sale in the budget range you have.

Buy them a bottle of their favourite tipple and you have a source of information, guidance and help for life!

You'll end up with equipment that may not be the latest and greatest but perfectly serviceable and capable of producing good quality, safe reloads.

Apart from the above mentioned Lee Cast Classic press.......do NOT buy anything else made by Lee, that is unless you like being frustrated, swearing a lot and throwing things in the bin

Not to start a fight but I disagree. I have many sets of Lee dies and they work fine. The last two sets of dies I have had serious issue with were Hornady and RCBS.

Stay away from Lee Powder measures and their scale; the former is OK if you don't load very fine powders. The latter is too finicky to use well.~Andrew

Reloading is very addictive! Can't beat reloading . Best thing I ever did, other than join Diggle Range!

You're "thinking of reloading"? ..Then you're not going to know if reloading will engage you or deter you. Yes it can be addictive, but not for everyone. I know for some who reload their own ammo it has become a chore and openly admit that it's easier for them to purchase factory ammo, however unsatisfying their final outcome of bullet on target. You will indeed cry more than once if you splash out £100 on let's say for example a micro seater and, six months down the line wish you'd bought the Lee Deluxe full set for a third of the price should the reloading 'buzz' wane and you decide reloading isn't for you.

Returns on second-hand equipment might recoup you some of your initial outlay for the more expensive tools but, that's your choice.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Lee dies. They load cartridges and the result is the same as any other die manufacturer and, load cartridges as effectively - your own reloading procedures and technique will ruin the cartridge before a Lee die is to blame. Learn to use any die correctly, from any manufacturer and you or I, or anyone else will not be able to tell the difference which maker of the dies produced this cartridge or that cartridge.

ATB

Archived