Caliber dilemma

I have a Sako TRG in .308 that I think is going to be pretty much redundant when my 6.5x47 is completed.

I could keep the TRG as a range rifle but there are more suitable calibers to reach out too and beyond 1000 yards.

One thought was to re barrel the TRG in a suitable caliber but being a short action I think the choices might be some what limited? bearing in mind I will have a 6.5x47. I have considered the 6.5x284 but it seems I can't mag feed from a short action. Other considerations are .260 AI or 6.5x55AI or similar?

So it seems that If I want a mag fed rifle I will have to sell the TRG and get something else built. I'm doing a lot of reading about the 6.5x284 and find it very interesting, the only downside being barrel burn out, not that it will stop me, shoot it and enjoy it is my policy. Is the 6.5x284 still the king of F class or is there a new kid on the block for precision long range shooting?

What other calibers should I be looking at and why?

hi

i'm not sure of the bolt set up on the stg but it may be possible to open the bolt face up to a WSM (but then again it may not)

but if it could be done then you could have a 270 WSM / 7mm WSM / 300 WSM

you will not go far wrong with a WSM

ATB

Colin :wacko:

For what it's worth:

* If you're going for a 260 you'll probably want to use heavy bullets and seat them well out (more powder, less pressure). How long will that be and will the rounds fit in your magazine? The magazine on my 260 repeater won't take heavy bullets seated well out and this probably knocks a bit off the top end of the performance. However, it's an awesome chambering with 139/140g bullets, very accurate and well good for 1000 yards++.

* Will the sharp shoulder on a 260AI feed smoothly through the magazine?

* Not much choice in quality 260 brass - you'll have to roll your own from 243

* If you go 6.5 x 55 will you have to open out the bolt-face?

* Have you dismissed the idea of having two rifles in 6.5 x 47, your new one and the TRG?? One set of dies, one set of cases, powder etc etc. You could get both barrels cut with the same reamer.

* If you wanted a 6.5 x 284 you might be better getting your new rifle in this chambering and the TRG in 6.5 x 47, which will feed from a magazine??

* Is your 308 shot out? Why not just shoot the sh*t out of it until it is? Everybody needs a 308.

Cornishman.

Colin, do the WSM mag feed ok? it's not critical that it has to mag feed, it's just better if it does.

Cornishman, thanks for the interesting points, it's given me something to think about. The TRG is far from shot out, but I just don't think I will use it enough if the 6.5x47 proves to be as good as everyone says.

I think I will looking at another purpose built 1000+ yard rifle.

Colin, do the WSM mag feed ok? it's not critical that it has to mag feed, it's just better if it does.

Cornishman, thanks for the interesting points, it's given me something to think about. The TRG is far from shot out, but I just don't think I will use it enough if the 6.5x47 proves to be as good as everyone says.

I think I will looking at another purpose built 1000+ yard rifle.

Hi Elwood

The WSM range of cartridges feed fine from the mag,A lot of the Americans say you should full length size so they feed perfect,i have neck sized all mine (I'm on my 3rd),and so have the others that i know who shoot them,all have had no problems at all. but if you go 300 WSM you may have problems with getting the bullet on the lands and in the mag. you can all so have this problem with the 7mm WSM but we have got a reamer that works fine in a H&S precision mag, :wacko: i have the 270 WSM reamer,and the 7mm 313 tight neck reamer,and minimum sammi speck 7mm WSM reamer, and the 300 wsm reamer. if you need one just give us a shout :blink:

ATB

Colin :ph34r:

As others have said there are only three options:

Keep the TRG on all of them

260 Rem - throated for 123 - 140 bullets. (Norma doa 130 that is awesome)

6.5 x 47 (another) love this calibre.

Open boltface and do a WSM, yes it will mag feed (they do in AI mags anyway - sure TRG is similar)

4th option just thought of it,,,, rebarrel as 308,

Last option (yes I know I said three)

Give me the now defunct TRG and I will play with it :wacko::blink::ph34r:

Ian, that would be the 284 Win under accuracy cartridges in this link? http://www.precisionrifle.co.uk/

Yep, thats the one mate, after nearly 45 years shooters are finally starting to realise the accuracy potential of what is the parent of one of the most popular LR cartridges, the 6.5-284.

Ian.

A 308 bolt face is a desireable thing - open it up to WSM and you reduce your cal options.

Two options I would consider - keep it as a 308, use it for comps with a 308 only class. Also not being a barrel burner it has a feel good factor using it for practice (that is how I use my 308). I guess 6.5x47 will give cca 3k rounds at top accuracy - you can soon feel need for a new barrel........and then you wish you had a 308 in the safe to keep shooting with whilst the 6.5 is being re-tubed.

On the other hand if barrel life is not a worry........then 243 Win (possibly 243 Win AI) with a tight twist and shoot 115 grain DTACS, wind drift comparable with 338LM and less drop. It should give you a mag feeder that will go well past 1k. I know someone who has gone this route with an AI platform and seems happy.

Downside cca 1500 rounds barrel life. If you like to be exotic possibly 6mm BRX, 6mmXC etc........getting brass may be fun.

David.

A 308 bolt face is a desireable thing - open it up to WSM and you reduce your cal options.

Two options I would consider - keep it as a 308, use it for comps with a 308 only class. Also not being a barrel burner it has a feel good factor using it for practice (that is how I use my 308). I guess 6.5x47 will give cca 3k rounds at top accuracy - you can soon feel need for a new barrel........and then you wish you had a 308 in the safe to keep shooting with whilst the 6.5 is being re-tubed.

On the other hand if barrel life is not a worry........then 243 Win (possibly 243 Win AI) with a tight twist and shoot 115 grain DTACS, wind drift comparable with 338LM and less drop. It should give you a mag feeder that will go well past 1k. I know someone who has gone this route with an AI platform and seems happy.

Downside cca 1500 rounds barrel life. If you like to be exotic possibly 6mm BRX, 6mmXC etc........getting brass may be fun.

David.

David,

That would have been my though too. Go the 243 with a fast twist barrel and shoot heavy bullets. The dies for a 243 are common, you're already on the right bolt face, and there are a lot of bullet options available.

Or, if you want to go something a little different yet, why not set up a 22BR (or variants), 22-250AI, or 22 middlestead to shoot 80-90 gr bullets from a long tube. You could push the 90 gr heads past 3K which should make 1K. Maybe not an ideal rig, but it is someting different.

Thanks,

Rick

Hi Ian. If when you've exhausted all your options, you decide to sell the TRG, i have a buyer in waiting mate.

She's in the market now for a good example but would want to buy complete with monuts and rings. Maybe even the scope too unless you're hanging onto that bit.. Pm me if you decide to sell please...

Grant...

Grant, should I decide to sell I will give you/your friend first refusal, it will come with rail and rings, either Sako optiloks or Richard Near 20 MOA base and rings, but of course the price will reflect that.

I can rule out both 22 BR and 6BR as I have both, all be it I'm waiting on the 6 BR. Two .243's might be a bit tricky with Sussex constabulary, they really don't like us having two rifles of the same caliber or at least not without good reason, I'm having to justify why I need a 22BR and .22.250 at the moment.

So far my considerations at the moment are 6.5x284 and 7WSM or perhaps the .284, I need to do some research on all three.

The cheapest option would be to re-barrel the TRG into 7WSM, but who said anything about common sense :rolleyes:

Please the more comments, the better (about the rifle and not common sense)

I'm waiting for Baldies input, he mixes in the F class circles I believe.

Elwood,

A couple more thoughts - I played around with the idea of 7mm-300 wsm (the cases between 300wsm and 7wsm are different) with one - 7mm-300wsm it as possible to fit into an aics mag and still box feed after the re-enforcing strip was removed. This may have no bearing on what you can do with a TRG though. The turn off for me was about 800 rounds top accuracy according to some Scottish F Class folk.

Different from what you wanted but I did play around with the idea of a 338wsm up to the point of having the reamer made. As a thought IF you could mag feed a 250 grain scenar and rebarrel with a full length PES moderated barrel it could make for something quietly different.

No ones mentioned RSAUM cases yet either - are they available???

David.

I have a 7mm/270WSM reamer effectively same benefit at 7mm/300WSM without hassel of necking down (easier to upsize)

just over the last few days i have been thinking of putting together a 20-6.5x47 (20x47 laupa) but i don't know anything about the 20 cal, i would probably like to shoot 50g (if there is a 20 cal that size or a barrel to stabilize it) or possibly the 39s should be very flat shooting.you could go this way

ATB

Colin :D

just over the last few days i have been thinking of putting together a 20-6.5x47 (20x47 laupa) ... i would probably like to shoot 50g (if there is a 20 cal that size or a barrel to stabilize it) or possibly the 39s should be very flat shooting.you could go this way

ATB

Colin :P

Sounds like an interesting wee toy Colin. Should be "definitive" on rabbits :D

What vels are you expecting?

Chris-NZ

Why not do something completely different and go for a .338 BR :D If you do any woodland/high seat shooting its a very fun caliber. Loopy as anything past 150 but hits home very hard close up, with no meat damage. Get a fully modded 20-24" barrel and you can shoot 1 MOA accuracy to 400-600 yards and as quite as a .22lr. Just an idea.

The current kings of the hill, supposedly, in "f" class, are the 7mm,s buddy, usually wsm,s.

Didn,t stop me caning all their arses at Bisley with my 6.5x47.

Personally, i would look at the 7mm.284, but if i was starting with a .308 bolt face, and wanted a mag feeder, it would , without a doubt go to the 6xc, shooting dtac,s at 3000 fps. Better barrel life than the 6.5x.284, and that particular bullet is a belter in wind.Look how much David Tubb has won with it.

Personally, i,m moving away from the big bangers, there are more accurate cartridges about, in the 6mm, 6.5 calibres, with usually better bc,s.The trick is to drive the buggers hard.

Purely personal you understand.

Dave, any particular reason for your choice being .284, is it purely based on accuracy plus barrel life or are there any other virtues?

If I went the 7 WSM route would it be advisable to go for a long action to overcome any seating depth problems or would a short action be ok? For arguments sake lets say I used a Surgeon short action would I still have to use a .308 bolt face and have it opened up?

Dave, any particular reason for your choice being .284, is it purely based on accuracy plus barrel life or are there any other virtues?

If I went the 7 WSM route would it be advisable to go for a long action to overcome any seating depth problems or would a short action be ok? For arguments sake lets say I used a Surgeon short action would I still have to use a .308 bolt face and have it opened up?

if you are buying a new action then get one built for the job, SYSS do them and may have one in stock, Dave will let you know.

if you speck the reamer right then feeding from the mag will not be a problem,on the 7mm WSM but you do have to speck your reamer right.you don't have to go long action,this will just defeat the hole point of the wsm round.

go for it you know it makes sense ;)

ATB

Colin

Cheers for the info Colin, would using a short action decrease bullet choice? although it will primarily be a target rifle it will also be used as a very static stalking rifle .

I'm thinking along the lines of AI stock or a Terry cross KMW stock and using a straight tapered heavy varmint barrel, hence the static stalking remark ;)

Archived