Caliber dilemma

Cheers for the info Colin, would using a short action decrease bullet choice? although it will primarily be a target rifle it will also be used as a very static stalking rifle .

I'm thinking along the lines of AI stock or a Terry cross KMW stock and using a straight tapered heavy varmint barrel, hence the static stalking remark ;)

what size bullet are we talking??

ATB

Colin ;)

what size bullet are we talking??

ATB

Colin ;)

I have no idea Colin, I have ventured into unknown territory's with this one, can you tell? ;) it would be built to do 1000 yards first and foremost, and hunting secondary.

Berger's website doesn't even list 7mm heads!

lapua lists one that looks like a world war II torpedo!!

Sierra thankfully have a nice selection

Nosler would appear not to make a match bullet, hardly surprising though.

Hornady come up trumps with a 162 Amax

I have no idea Colin, I have ventured into unknown territory's with this one, can you tell? ;) it would be built to do 1000 yards first and foremost, and hunting secondary.

Berger's website doesn't even list 7mm heads!

lapua lists one that looks like a world war II torpedo!!

Sierra thankfully have a nice selection

Nosler would appear not to make a match bullet, hardly surprising though.

Hornady come up trumps with a 162 Amax

i think there is a 180g bullet out there for such a job, but don't quote me on this. i believe the UK record is set with a 300/7mm wsm. so you would be in good company.

i will have a look when i get a bit more time and see what bullets are available, unless someone beats me to it.

ATB

Colin ;)

Have a squint on snipers hide buddy, there is a rake of info on this cal.

I,m fairly sure you can get a 180 grain bullet, into an AI magazine with a small modification, so mag feeding it wont be a problem...certainly not with the 162 a-max.

Using the AI mag, means you can virtually have any stock option.

Surgeon do a wsm action, which is obviously the correct bolt face etc. If you use another action, and open up the bolt face, it will neccessitate a sako extractor being fitted.We have some wsm actions coming on the shipment which should now be on its way to our exporter, so they may be only a couple of weeks away hopefully.

I cant really say i have a preference for the .284, i just know it works, but the wsm also works , and works well.

There is a new berger bullet out for the 7mm apparently, as they are becoming popular.

Brian Fox, also has quite a few 7mm barrels [truflite] i believe, in the sort of contours you want, i would certainly give him a ring. Truflite are superb.

Berger 180's are the bullet of choice for the task you want Ian.

Accubonds would also be suitable - they come in 160 and 180g - but the Bergers are (IMHO) the better bullet - they are also listed on the Berger site as suitable for game.

(read into that what you will)

If you restrict yourself to 180's you should be able to seat them far enough out of the case not to impinge on powder capacity and still fit in an AI mag, you can pinch an extra .100" from these mags by removing the stiffener at the inside front of them - itself an easy task to drill out two spot welds - remove the stiffener and re-weld without.

(Hope thats clear)

If you are looking at single shot mode then you can use as long a bullet as you want (but that is restricted to throat length) the Canadian Wildcat Bullets (200g RBBT) are excellent if you can get them - still waiting for my order 2 yrs down the line.....

A WSM action would be best - this prevents having to open up bolt faces and insert sako extractors to standard actions - all extra cost that will work out to be comparative in price to getting a new action (if you sell the TRG as well)

Get a Surgeon WSM action, fit it in a AICS stock, 7mm barrel (as Baldie says - Foxy has some 7mm Tru Flites in stock) and have all "plumbed" tigether in the chamber of choice and you will have a rifle that is accurate, robust and up to the job in hand.

You know it makes sense :angry:

If you are looking at single shot mode then you can use as long a bullet as you want (but that is restricted to throat length) the Canadian Wildcat Bullets (200g RBBT) are excellent if you can get them - still waiting for my order 2 yrs down the line.....

Here's a fluke 3-shot group at --600yds- with 7mm Wildcat projs by the editor of NZ Hunter magazine.

Totally kosha but he freely admits there's near zero chance he'd be able to do it again.

(sorry- crappy snapshot off a cellphone)

Chris-NZ

Right you guys have sold me enough on the 7WSM, I will do a little more research on the .284 before making my mind up one way or another.

First things first I need to sell the TRG to fund the project, Streaker's connection has first shout.

Can't believe I'm contemplating a third build, when I still have two rifles unfinished, oh well it's all in a good cause :angry:

Why not do something completely different and go for a .338 BR :angry: If you do any woodland/high seat shooting its a very fun caliber. Loopy as anything past 150 but hits home very hard close up, with no meat damage. Get a fully modded 20-24" barrel and you can shoot 1 MOA accuracy to 400-600 yards and as quite as a .22lr. Just an idea.

Is this what the yanks call the Whisperer?. I think it probably is. I had a chat with my old forces FEO about one probably 7 or 8 years ago but the largest diameter they were giving for deer was .300/.308 at the time irrespective of case capacity. I can see the benifits and from a high seat you would elimate the obvious richocet problem.

A

What bolt face does the .284 work on? and I know it's designed for a short action but will it work with the 180 Berger VLD?

I have just had a very pleasant chat with Brian Fox (very helpful guy) and he mentioned the .284 being possibly a better bet than the 7WSM mainly due to barrel life, although it will give a little bit less of FPS.

I have to say I was very impressed with his pricing on the True-Flite barrels and I am very tempted indeed.

Can anyone give me some real figures on the 7WSM barrel life, I thought it was about 1000 rounds or perhaps up to 1500 with sensible loads.

The 284 uses the same size boltface as the 308.

If you intend to use the long 180grn Bergers i would reccomend a long action simply because this will allow you to unload a loaded round without having to remove the bolt, also if you do decide to use a mag feed you will have enough room to accomodate the bullet with out having to seat it deep into the case using up vital powder capacity.

Ian.

One last question (not) what is the optimum barrel length, I don't want any more weight than necessary and would you go for a 1-9 or a 1-8.5 twist? baring in mind I would want the rifle set up primarily for 180 grain Berger's and also 162 grain Amax.

Archived