.308 preferred bullets / loads

David Hancock

Somewhere in the region of 42-42.5gr of IMR4064 under a 175gr SMK is devastatingly accurate.

For deer a 150grain flat based spitzer with 44 to 46g of N140 is popular. As usual work up all loads with care, may not be safe in your rifle etc

That's a very open question and difficult to answer

What deer species are you after?

What twist rate is the rifle?

Most popular weight in 308 for hunting deer will be 150ish gr with others preferring up to 180ish gr, SGK, Lapua, Speer, Barns, take your pick

Powders are likely to be N140 or Swiss reloaded equivilant, or varget being the mainstream ones

150gr best running at 2800ish FPS 160ish gr running about 2600fps 180ish gr running about 2400fps

As you can see bit difficult to nail down recommendations

My 308 is a 10 twist so I run 165gr SGK with 43gr N150 running about 2600fps

Duey

Forgot target loads

For my stalking rifle I run 167gr Lapua Scenars with no decernable difference in POI at 100yds and useable out to 600yds but sporter barrel and moderator make it impractical for prolonged target shooting, usually 3 shots then let it all cool down for 10 mins give best target shooting results

I use 150g SGKs and 43.1 grains of Vhit N140 in a 24 inch 1/11 twist barrel for my deer loads. Works a treat. Low enough velocity that it'll take small Munty without a lot of meat damage but still enough oomph to drop a larger deer no problem at all at 150 yds. If I want a bit more velocity, in my rifle, the next sweet spot is loaded to 43.8, which happens to be the exact same as the accuracy load for my 155 SMK target rounds. Punches .3 groups at 100 yards with this recipe for me with the SMKs. Most people I speak to find that somewhere around the 44 grain mark is about the sweet spot for Vhit N140 and 150 to 155gr loads. I load to mag length, so 2.8 inches COL

Somewhere in the region of 42-42.5gr of IMR4064 under a 175gr SMK is devastatingly accurate.

IMR 4064 is my top choice for 308. About 44 grains with a 165 Interlock from a FL resized case, loaded to recommended OAL (and otherwise well attended) will shoot sub-moa from most 308's. I've seldom seen the contrary. ~Andrew

For deer a 150grain flat based spitzer with 44 to 46g of N140 is popular. As usual work up all loads with care, may not be safe in your rifle etc

Yep fully agree.

46 grs behind a Nosler 150 bt was great in mine although getting a bit hot.

44 grs behind a sierra 2125 is a good all round load.

I use 44.5 grs behind a sierra 2140 and is my normal load in a Remy 700

All COL's are 2.820" as this is the max the magazine will take nicely.

SMK Palma (155gr obv) I haven't tried the tipped ones as I have a ton of non tipped to get through so will move to them when I re-barrel and move to small primer Palma brass. I use 46.0gr of Vit N140 with CCI BR primers. A stiff load but works well in the AI and 4 of us use this recipe to good effect in club comps and plates to 700-800m.

I agree you need a chrono to work out how they fly but its whats on the paper that counts. If you haven't got a micrometer adjustable seating die it might be worth the investment, I have found it has helped with repeatability and not guessing increments plus a decent notebook to write down everything. Enjoy the work up and keep an eye on pressure signs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

IMR 4064 is my top choice for 308. About 44 grains with a 165 Interlock from a FL resized case, loaded to recommended OAL (and otherwise well attended) will shoot sub-moa from most 308's. I've seldom seen the contrary. ~Andrew

I'm a big 4064 fan. Runs well under 198-200gr bullets in my 7.92x57 also.

Ok some contrary views. Nothing new !

Deer bullets.

Any bullet will work on any deer species in the UK. It's a boring lazy comment. So what? Well why not pick bullet/s that will maximise the advantages of the calibre and minimise the variables of your particular shooting scenario. i.e. pick a bullet that increases the probability of a hit. Particularly that this is a 308, their best feature is their flexibility, so why not use it.

OK, that is a bit generic but you get the point.

Most people seem to be suggesting light for calibre generally 150 ish sometimes a bit less. If you are in an environment where the winds are not 'high' and the furthest you are shooting is the 300/350 mark then these are good as they give you some allowance for range estimating errors, only really an issue these days if you don't have a LRF and don't hold but there is a reason this is the traditional choice. Range estimation was the biggest unknown.

If you are going to be up on the open hill and use a range finder, then your drop errors should no longer be the critical error so you can choose to switch bullet to a higher bc bullet which also tends to mean heavier as the biggest error is now the wind.

Up the hill I shoot 180gr Accubonds as I can get good v from RL17 in my Sako 75 so I get lots of energy and momentum on the target but also get good performance in the wind. Higher hit probability and when it isn't quite right the extra power still brings them down fast. Was getting 2700fps out a 24".

I changed rifle and can't get the same performance (v) with it at 180gr but I have an excellent load with 165gr Gameking. I use this on hill red and woodland sika. I was a bit worried about this load as it was highly frangible on the sika and was not penetrating fully at the usual 150 yard range so I was concerned about its performance on the hill. I need not have worried at 300 yards it blew clean through and also dropped them in their tracks at 330. It is out a 20" barrel and I am getting 2700fps with RL15.

I have shot Roe with the 180 Accubonds (also 200gr Accubonds !) and they worked well. Not a lot of damage. Hardly optimum though. Just saying.

I used 150gr Ballistic Tips for a while but was not really a fan. The roe ran about too much for me a bit further out (awful ground to find them) and close in they were explosive.

Best bullet I have shot for terminal effect were 150gr Grand Slams. Hit with the power of Thor but they are shaped like a brick so don't really fly well. I suspect the two are linked!

125gr I think is a bit 'square' for the 308. If this is the ideal bullet weight for the species then my view is that a 6.5 is a better choice, but hey that's the beauty of a 308, it can do good, reasonable impersonations of other calibres.

Target rounds.

I have loaded lots of different stuff, I could not get 175 SMK so shot the 180gr. Very accurate as well, very consistent. Shot them over RL17 and was getting good velocity. The shape is not as good as the 175 (boat tail angle is too steep) so use the 175 if you can get it. I have also shot 208gr AMAX. It rides the wind well but is heavy. Still if you can seat long and get a bit more powder in (single shot?) it works well.

I was going to say very accurate (again), but to be truthful everything I have loaded has been accurate. It has all been around the 0.5 moa mark. Some a shade less some more. And I don't count 1 three shot group, I do a load of testing. I am sure some of the rounds would shoot better with tuning but it is good enough for me. Other things to do in life.

Shooting Berger 155gr Hybrids out the AI at the moment....

So lots of choice there. Other loads worth looking at Berger 185 Juggernaught and 2000MR.

World is your oxter, so scrounge a few bullets in the range of 125gr to 180 gr and see what works

Winter target/stalking load of 47 grains of Varget pushing a Hornady 3031 150 grain spire point

Same hole when I sometimes shoot straight

Alan xxx

Chanonry

Thank you for your sermon!

David was asking for advice on deer loads and specifically requests not long range loads.

Why so critical of other members suggestions? Members may find your strong opinions "boring, lazy, nothing new" and perhaps missing the point.

Relax, your not the only one with an opinion.

Subsonic

What he said. Others may say more but keep it simple to start with.

I think most would agree that 44 grns N140 behind most 150 grain bullets should be a safe starting point for you to find something that works (safely!) in your rifle.

Archived