.20 cal specific custom action?

lapua

Defiance and a few others offer a Model 7 length action which is suitable for smaller cartridges. Otherwise there are some short BR actions available too.

The newish Howa Mini Action (factory,not custom) is a quite petite action (6",13 oz)-in 223 and 204-maybe more to come-and there are a few savvy shooters on here using this as a semi custom......probably they will comment in detail....

Zastava did quite a tidy small action,mine is in 223...

As did Sako,in an early 222 rifle - a fine action indeed. (A1-?)

"Smaller than 223....well,that would include any Hornet action...lots-especially the Euro ones,for quality."

Wayne Zwoll and Frank De Haas "Bolt Action Rifles" might help,though not focussed on 'minis'.

"Custom" can eventually mean "yes of course-how much can you afford"-but there are some comparable to above.except in price.

gbal

+1 for the defiance action. I have one already and they are a big investment but well worth it IMHO. I would suggest you speak to Baldie on UKV about these actions. Defiance will make you one and to whatever spec / extras etc as per the website however for the money perhaps consider something in that call but in a different action size so you can use your considerable investment more widely perhaps. You won't regret a defiance deviant tho.

The early short action Sako was the L46,made from 1946-1961,the later ones also called "Vixen"-it came in 22Hornet,218Bee and 222rem (and a few in 7x33Sako,25-20,32-20).

The 46 in 222-especially the 'Bofors steel' barrel ones -were a cult rifle combo in USA,setting new standards for accuracy in a (pricey) factory rifle. In 1953 I was ten, and that was all I wanted in life (outside the trout season,and a BSA 22 Martini on Tuesday evening Drill Hall shoots).Took a while longer,shoots in the low twos.

The L461 was a stretched version for the 222rem mag cartridge,and was superseeded by the A-1 (vixen).

The much later 75 was a fine action,and maybe the 85,but neither had the diminutive charm of the earlier 46 action for a short action,small cartridge build. They remain a very desireable action among

afficionados.

I'm not sure if any custom action is comparably dinky,but I hope one still is made.Pure joy in 222.

gbal

Fired a 20 tac built on a Remington 700 Action recently built by Les at VARTAC precision. .280" C-C with my first 5 shots firing blitzkings and an unfamiliar rifle. impressed with the calibre too.

Do you need a custom action when a factory one will perform that well with a custom barrel?

Nothing wrong with that....u gotta love a bit of bling

I had a nice John Carr one built to speck in 20 practical , it's a beauty to use ! Just showing off again I suppose

post-11882-0-20194900-1472499637_thumb.jpg

post-11882-0-96658800-1472499700_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

got 2 x 2 tacs,

one is on a tikka 595 and is a pleasure to use as my NV set up.

the other is built on a sako s/491 again a cracking rifle to use, this is my daytime rifle set up,

just had a annealing machine from this forum so no issues with brass etc,

Bob.

got 2 x 2 tacs,

one is on a tikka 595 and is a pleasure to use as my NV set up.

the other is built on a sako s/491 again a cracking rifle to use, this is my daytime rifle set up,

just had a annealing machine from this forum so no issues with brass etc,

Bob.

was looking at something special, i.e. custom high tolerance actions, not run of the mill factory actions.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
23 hours ago, munkjack said:

I think stiller predator do a short custom action!!  saw one in .17 fireball for sale on hear once beautiful looking thing. 

I don’t think so- the Stiller Predator shares the Remington 700 footprint, so is not a true short action.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived