Help !!

colin jalland

I am trying to strip the old varnish from the stock on a Rem 700 and the paint stripper is just not touching it, can any of recommend a good brand i am currently trying the Nitro Mors liquid and it's just not working.

Thanks Colin

Colin,

strange? I've used Nitromorse previously for exacly this task with no problems, but it was a while ago, perhaps there is a new 'green' version that does not damage the enviroment (but does not work as well?)

Someone will probably have an alternative?

T

Colin,

strange? I've used Nitromorse previously for exacly this task with no problems, but it was a while ago, perhaps there is a new 'green' version that does not damage the enviroment (but does not work as well?)

Someone will probably have an alternative?

T

Was it the gell ( green tin) or the liquid (yellow tin ) ?

Ive found a heatgun works well on paints and varnishes in the past. There is a knack to it, unless you like scorched patches ;)

Was it the gell ( green tin) or the liquid (yellow tin ) ?

Gel, like thick wallpaper paste.

My guess (and bore out by Mike's comment) is it has gone green I.e. Is less effective by being friendly to the environment.

T

Yep, you're right terryh.............no longer using methylene chloride in the formula, as it's a bit nasty...................in fact, it's very nasty indeed.

H/man

Diall paint and varnish stripper, B&Q's 'no name' brand, is excellent. I have stripped 5 stocks with it so far, and it has worked on every type of varnish/finish without any trouble at all.

Apply one coat, leave for an hour and apply a second coat. Wait a further hour and the old finish can be easily scraped off or washed off.

Diall paint and varnish stripper, B&Q's 'no name' brand, is excellent. I have stripped 5 stocks with it so far, and it has worked on every type of varnish/finish without any trouble at all.

Apply one coat, leave for an hour and apply a second coat. Wait a further hour and the old finish can be easily scraped off or washed off.

Thanks will try this next ,bought some green Nitro Mors today !!!! total rubbish so that's £18 in and the varnish is still there !!!!!!

Archived