Tikka t3 sako safety

Hi all

I'm a big fan of my Tikka rifles but the one thing I think that could be a worthy retro fit would be a sako style safety catch ie.. The ability to remove a chambered round without having to take the rifle off safe

Does anyone know of a Smith or a DIY retro fit kit to a enable this

Regards

SP.

has there ever been a reported incident with the tikka safety.no.if there was we would all know about it and tikka would not be selling their rifles with this design,worry about where your fired bullet is going not about a factory safety catch contact tikka and listen to the manufactures advice

Banus, when the single screw that holds the trigger assembly on a T3/Sako and several other rifles of similar design loosens, a shot can go out if the trigger is on safe or not. This has happened in the past and it was mentioned once or twice on this forum.

If one retro fits an aftermarket 3 position safety to a t3 that acts on the firing pin then it is somewhat safer but will fire upon changing from safe to fire if the screw holding the trigger assembly would be loose. So no matter what safety, the single m6 screw on T3/Sako etc. should be checked every now and then, correctly tightened from the start possibly with Loctite.

AS.H in Germany manufactures a 3 position safety for the T3, I have one in use since a while and think it is very good. Not very easy to fit and more of a rifle smith job.

edi

ps,

AS.H safety in fire position.

DSC_1084_zpsa4llsdgb.jpg

Dump post in my view , the safety on a Tikka T3 works fine , the nut behind the stock is the safety risk , you should always be alert enough to remember how it works and use it accordingly, it you cant , give up.

Banus, SWS, you are both missing the point. Providing the trigger unit screw is tight then the safety is functional. However the bolt cannot be opened whilst the safety is on to remove a chambered round. To remove the chambered round you need to set the safety to fire at which point the bolt can be opened and the chambered round removed. I would like to be able to remove a chambered round with the safety on in the safe position. I have looked at and corresponded with AS.H and the figment to a 595 action is not straight forward but it does look like a nicely made unit.

Banus, SWS, you are both missing the point. Providing the trigger unit screw is tight then the safety is functional. However the bolt cannot be opened whilst the safety is on to remove a chambered round. To remove the chambered round you need to set the safety to fire at which point the bolt can be opened and the chambered round removed. I would like to be able to remove a chambered round with the safety on in the safe position. I have looked at and corresponded with AS.H and the figment to a 595 action is not straight forward but it does look like a nicely made unit.

So you cant trust yourself to keep the rifle pointed in a safe direction or to keep your finger off the trigger once you've taken off the safety to open the bolt? , like I said before its the nut behind the stock that needs attention / training .

Thanks for the input guys, I'm sure everyone is fully aware of the process of loading and unloading a rifle in a safe manor, however judging by some of the above comments something that adds another aspect of safety to this is obviously a stupid idea.

Regards

SP

Not stupid but an unnecessary waste of money , over 30 years shooting and never an N.D.

You're still missing the point and bragging about 30 years with no ND doesn't mean you won't have one, it implies you are becoming complacent.

Why make a firearm ready to fire simply to unload it when an alternative safety mechanism that allows unloading whilst still on safety is available?

As to whether or not that is a waste of money is down to the individual.

You're still missing the point and bragging about 30 years with no ND doesn't mean you won't have one, it implies you are becoming complacent.

Why make a firearm ready to fire simply to unload it when an alternative safety mechanism that allows unloading whilst still on safety is available?

As to whether or not that is a waste of money is down to the individual.

The OP is talking about modifying a perfectly serviceable safety , my point is its unnecessary and wont actually make the gun any safer or reduce the likelihood of a N.D.

All the safety mechanisms available will not stop N.Ds , hence most rifles have a basic but sufficient safety , some with very very light triggers have no safety ! never heard of anyone being shot because of this.

No he's not talking about modifying an existing safety but retro fitting a safety with the ability to remove a chambered round whilst the safety is still on. A perfectly sensible idea.

A safety modification is good it it makes you feel better but if the lack of this feature is a problem for you, then that is a problem in itself. If you can't handle a firearm with enough prowess to take off the safety on a T-3 and then raise the bolt without touching the trigger, you probably should practice a bit more. ~Andrew

good evening ,I fail to understand why the tikka is a problem at all ,anyone who buys a tikka knows how the safety works .if the buyer does not like it or thinks its unsafe BUY A DIFFERENT RIFLE MAKE.i think that tikkas are fine .out of interest if a replacement safety is fitted AND a problem occurs who will HSE side with. a manufacturer or a tinkerer? any one can do as they wish its supposed to be a free world.be safe out there

Jeez I've asked a simple question as to if anyone knows of a retro fit available for my rifle and some people see the need to doubt my ability to be safe with a firearm !!!

As for your call to have the post closed by admin banus02 what gives you that right ? If you don't like my question then that's okay I don't mind but I personally think it would be worthwhile retro fit and it's my rifle not yours

Many thanks to the sensible replies

Regards

SP

Some hardcore Tikka lovers cant see why you'd want to modify their beloved T3(yuck).....

I wouldn't worry about their opinion, it's your rifle. The AS.H unit looks smart.

Sp, I too have a Tikka rifle. It is a good sound rifle and the safety works as it should. I do however share your point of view that I would like to have a safety that allows unchambering whilst the safety is on. This has nothing to do with lack of practise, incompetence or such like. And no one has said that Tikka rifles are unsafe.

Ignore the posters who do not understand what you are looking for and do not let this experience put you off the forum, there is a wealth of sensible experience here.

I have several rifles, and none work in a way that permits a chambered round to be removed with the safety on. This in itself is not a problem and doesn't make the rifle any less safe as long as muzzle awareness is practised at all times. I have read about the T3 trigger assembly screw working loose and increasing the risk of an ND, safety applied or not, so that would be for me the priority, and thank you to those that have raised this issue as not all T3 owners have been aware of this problem.

I get around the T3 2 position safety by never having a round chambered until I am ready to make a shot, even when hunting. Some like to hunt with a round chambered and the safety on but I don't, especially if shooting with others. IMHO, whilst there are systems available which allow retrofitting of a 3-position safety, it may make the user feel safer and add another level of safety, but that becomes redundant if a round isn't chambered in the first place so I don't see the need. I perfectly understand those holding a different opinion and there will be times at the range when the RO calls make safe when you have a round chambered too. Again, not a problem if muzzle awareness is followed. Frankly, the only real safety issue that I see is the risk of the T3 screw coming loose on some rifles, but as with all firearms, it is for the user to ensure that their firearm is maintained in a safe and serviceable condition. Good luck to the OP though and hope you're able to sort the 3 position safety if that's what you want.

Rifle handling and safety is something completely different to rifle design and designed safety features. I can't understand why one would mix these two up in a discussion. A rifle manufacturer has no control over what level of safety awareness the owners will be at however they can build safety features into their rifles. The Mauser brothers already designed a great 3 position safety well over 100 years ago. Many copied it many made aftermarket safeties for rifles based on the design.

Fact is, it is safer to unload a rifle when on safe position even the 2 pos. ala Remington.

edi

Rifle handling and safety is something completely different to rifle design and designed safety features. I can't understand why one would mix these two up in a discussion. A rifle manufacturer has no control over what level of safety awareness the owners will be at however they can build safety features into their rifles. The Mauser brothers already designed a great 3 position safety well over 100 years ago. Many copied it many made aftermarket safeties for rifles based on the design.

Fact is, it is safer to unload a rifle when on safe position even the 2 pos. ala Remington.

edi

That's all very true. It is also worth mentioning at this point that I have never, ever heard of a T3 going off when someone was unloading one due to a fault with the firing pin or trigger unit but have heard about the loose trigger bolts. You are right in so far as it's an increased level of safety having a 3 position or 2-P which allows the bolt to be lifted and round extracted but nonetheless, not to be treated as intrinsically safe.

Archived