Recommendations

I currently have a .223 with a longbow on the top which I use for foxing and crow bashing out the truck window up to 200/250 yards. My longer range rifle is .22/250 ackley fireing 75g amax comfortably out to 500/600 yards however I'm getting fed up with the hassle of fire forming when I need new brass. So with that in mind what would be the best option to replace the .22/250? I'd like to stretch the range a bit further and have something deer legal when I come to rebarrel it. Will 6mm284 be a hassle to reload for or would I be better of with a .260 or similar?

260 Rem is nice, I have two. 6.5 Creedmoor is gaining ground and 6.5 x 47 Lap is also good. Were I starting from scratch today, I would be having a long hard look at the 6.5 Creedmoor for two reasons -

Factory ammo is available.

Works well with 2.8 inch length magazine in a SA rifle.

I'm sticking with the 260 Rems as that's what I've worked with since '99.

Have fun.

JCS

If youre after a workhorse, do everything including crow, Fox and deer the the 243 takes some beating. 55/58 grains for crows and Fox. 85 grain for roe. I know it's not the most fashionable caliber but it does the job and does it well.

Drum

quote name="drum" post="269753" timestamp="1459521497"]If youre after a workhorse, do everything including crow, Fox and deer the the 243 takes some beating. 55/58 grains for crows and Fox. 85 grain for roe. I know it's not the most fashionable caliber but it does the job and does it well.

Drum[/quot

If youre after a workhorse, do everything including crow, Fox and deer the the 243 takes some beating. 55/58 grains for crows and Fox. 85 grain for roe. I know it's not the most fashionable caliber but it does the job and does it well.

Drum

I agree to a certain extent but for the longer ranges I'm talking about are the ones mentioned not a better option?

260 Rem is nice, I have two. 6.5 Creedmoor is gaining ground and 6.5 x 47 Lap is also good. Were I starting from scratch today, I would be having a long hard look at the 6.5 Creedmoor for two reasons -

Factory ammo is available.

Works well with 2.8 inch length magazine in a SA rifle.

I'm sticking with the 260 Rems as that's what I've worked with since '99.

Have fun.

I'll look into that, thanks.

JCS

How often do you need new brass, I would have thought that 100 count of brass should last best part of the the life of a barrel on a 22-250

My brass on my standard 22-250 lasted to about 1100 shot count which included load development when I had the 1-12 twist swapped out to a 1-8 twist after about 1000 rounds

Nothing to stop you pushing the range with what you've got 800-1000 yds can be achieved just have to be slightly more vigilant on you reading of the wind

Unless of course you just want something new

Ian

+1 for 260. Great selection of bullets, brass easily made from .308 derived cases, 243, 7-08, 308, etc.

6.5x47 and 6.5cm will give similar performance at higher brass costs, but are a more modern design, and as said above, creedmoor will allow for some long rounds that still fit in a short action magazine.

You'll be happy with whatever 6.5 you get I'd bet.

How often do you need new brass, I would have thought that 100 count of brass should last best part of the the life of a barrel on a 22-250

My brass on my standard 22-250 lasted to about 1100 shot count which included load development when I had the 1-12 twist swapped out to a 1-8 twist after about 1000 rounds

Nothing to stop you pushing the range with what you've got 800-1000 yds can be achieved just have to be slightly more vigilant on you reading of the wind

Unless of course you just want something new

Ian

That's a lot of reloads, I take it you anneal them regular?

I haven't got the time or the patience hence looking for something that's less hassle and also deer legal.

I annealed them by hand after about 5-6 reloads and they have just started to split the necks but that is down to the change of barrels / chambers and change from 52 amax to 75 amax and me not paying full attention to neck tension difference on new chamber

I have a 6.5x47L, I have heard of people having 23 reloads per shell case and still going, so that is good to know given the initial cost of brass :)

I believe that some people have struggled to get dies for the Creedmoor. Factory rounds are available but in short supply in the UK, limited supply of Brass for reloading currently but Norma now producing in addition to Hornady.

Agree any of the 6.5's will fulfil the brief. If you want factory ammo, look at the 6.5x55.

Yes it can , parent case of the CM is 308 / 30-06 etc , i built a 6br on a 22-250 action and its sweet . Again the br cases parent is 308 / 30-06 , personally id go 260 rem rather than CM or 6.5 x 47L , it will be my next step up the ladder ... Atb tim .

Archived