What's causing this?

Grum87

20160319_1125431_zpsbvvb3qya.jpg

A little background first - Brass is Federal 7-08 FL sized down to 260rem, then trimmed to length, chamfered inside and out. No neck turning, and no other work done to the brass.

Load is a 120gr Nosler BT over 43.8gr of H4350 all over a KVB7 - so not exactly hot stuff. And being honest, everything I've fired through it also does it.

The load shoots well, and there are no signs of pressure or anything else to worry about - and being honest these marks don't worry me - I'm more curious than anything.

Should I be turning the necks down for these? Or is it perhaps something to do with how the chamber has been cut? It is a factory Remington chamber, so nothing would surprise me, aswell as it does shoot.....

I don't know of any shops that stock 260rem let alone anyone shooting factory stuff through theirs......

20160319_1125431_zpsbvvb3qya.jpg

A little background first - Brass is Federal 7-08 FL sized down to 260rem, then trimmed to length, chamfered inside and out. No neck turning, and no other work done to the brass.

Load is a 120gr Nosler BT over 43.8gr of H4350 all over a KVB7 - so not exactly hot stuff. And being honest, everything I've fired through it also does it.

The load shoots well, and there are no signs of pressure or anything else to worry about - and being honest these marks don't worry me - I'm more curious than anything.

Should I be turning the necks down for these? Or is it perhaps something to do with how the chamber has been cut? It is a factory Remington chamber, so nothing would surprise me, aswell as it does shoot.....

Are you using a redding competition neck sizing die?

Lapua make 260 Remington cases (link), so it shouldn't be that much trouble? Hannam´s Reloading Ltd is a Lapua distributor. Spud1967 lists them too (link). I'm sure other shops can get them.

80 odd quid or more per 100 brass is a very expensive way to find out....and even at that, Lapua brass is so ridiculously tight necked I'd ordinarily size it before its first loading. So that may not tell what the issue is.

Are you using a redding competition neck sizing die?

No, just a plain old redding FL die

Is it not something to do with the chamber cut like that to show the case is from either a civilian rifle or a military rifle, I can't remember which? Sorry.

If it were a Russian made rifle I'd agree with you ;)

Rifles built for the civvy market in Russia are chambered in such a way it makes brass similar to this.

• 1 month later...

Never got to the bottom of this, happened with proper 260 brass also.

Cross section of the chamber coming when I pick up my rifle from being re--barrelled in the near future......

Has to be the way the chamber is cut Grum87. If it was the resizing causing it it'd be there before you shot it not afterwards.

Standard Redding neck sizing die with a carbide button.

Pete at PJS Precision kindly sectioned the chamber during my semi-custom build.

13219874_1028798100540177_215525855_n_zp

Aye, it shot pretty well being fair to it, but as with anything mass produced, you pay your money and you take your chances......

Archived