.308 barrel length? How short?

I'm in the process of putting together a .308. its a varmint weight barrel and will be used for stalking and informal steel shooting out to as far as the gun will shoot accurately.

I want to keep this rifle as short and compact as possible so I'm wondering how short could I get the barrel. From reading online the speeds achieved from an 18" barrel are good enough for what I want from this rifle, I'm just wondering would it be a bit snappy to shoot with such a short barrel.

So is 18" a clever choice or should I go with 20"??

Go for, it 18 or 16 would make a neat little package.

Totally capable on deer with the right bullet at normal stalking distances and beyond.

Go for, it 18 or 16 would make a neat little package.

Totally capable on deer with the right bullet at normal stalking distances and beyond.

I'm sure it would be more than capable! My worry is that I had a short barrelled .25-06 before which was fairly prone to muzzle flip.

Now I'm sure an 18" .308 would be perfectly shootable off a bipod, would it cause any problems shooting off sticks or awkward positions in the field?

Also to note I'll be shooting with a brake or mod.

good evening,try to find some one who actually has the short 308,most factory barrels will be 20 or above maybe there is a reason.i know velocity loss in the 308 is not huge but shooting a 16inch will make me flinch even with a moderator.if you intent to keep the short barrel its not a problem but if you want to sell on it may become an issue.good luck which ever way you go.

16-18 inches seems fine in my 308s. Certainly out to 800 yards(750 M) it will on a day without too much wind hit V bulls with my reloads which are mild. There is a bit more muzzle flash, so can be antisocial. The deer will not complain much!

I would imagine shooting a short barreled 308 takes a bit of practice?

I dont like to hold a rifle much and some of my rifles I can get away with so very little hold but I suspect this would be a little whipper snapper.

Would be harder to stay consistent?

Had a DTA with 16" tube, extremely accurate to 600m. Put a suppressor on and recoil is not an issue.

With 16' or 18' use a 1:8 twist. Good for 155 grain scenars and up. Did not try lower weights.

I'm not concerned about its ability to shoot at distance, I'm aware of what it will and won't be able to do.

I'm just concerned about the shootability of it, but by the looks of it, it's not causing Ye any problems!

But how about shooting from positions other than prone??

The shorter the barrel, the closer the CofG is to the body, the easier it is to shoot in any position other than prone.

What he said.

With a 100 round under your belt you will be happy shooting it in any position.

I would imagine shooting a short barreled 308 takes a bit of practice?

I dont like to hold a rifle much and some of my rifles I can get away with so very little hold but I suspect this would be a little whipper snapper.

Would be harder to stay consistent?

Not with a mod! My Sako 85 is the carbine version; with a mod on it will put 5 rounds inside a ten-pence piece easily at 100.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived