6.5x47 advice

foxpig

Hey all. Soon be getting my hands on a 6.5x47 . New caliber to me.

There is so much info on the Internet that my brains a fried . It seems a very easy caliber to find accurate loads for.

But what would your advice be to someone who only wants to fire 123amax or at a push 130 berger hunting.

What primer type?

What powder?

I'm after 2900 fps+ from a 26 inch barrel.

Any help be great

Cheers

Your gonna get loads of responses on this but in my experience is which is limited but..

Cci br4-primers

Varget start at 36.5 and work up to 38g in 0.1 intervals with your 123 amax I'd be suprised if you didn't find a load, push them up to the lands.

Good luck.

CCI 450s are the default primer for this case.

Varget or RL15 are the trad go-to powders though N140 or equivs will be fine.

38 of Varget touched off by a 450 behind a 123 Scenar or A-Max is near guaranteed :)

Great thanks tuck. Trouble is varget is a nightmare to get hold of. I wouldn't want to even start with it to be honest.

I know at least 2 places at the show had it , and a regular place i shop have 15 tubs right now ! PM if you want to know . ATB

Ps- id be looking to get some of the new sierra TMKs in your new rig , just not sure if there here just yet ...

FoxP,

The CCi 450 SR mag primers work very well, the 'starting' load combination that seems to have worked in a few rifles that I know of directly is 37.5g R15 under the 123 Scanar (usual rules apply).

Varget did dry up for a while but has come back on the scene again, personally I would not go with any of the American powders unless I could stash sufficient for a couple of years use - this would be down to how much shooting you plan to do?

Once my current batch of R15 is finished I will be looking at N140 and one of the Swiss powders as a reliable source. FYI I beleive primers will actually become more of a problem in local RFD's (price and/or availability) in the near future due to the transport companies faffing with charges.

The '47' is a great cartridge, as to your 2900fps, I'd say well North of 2800 with a 120ish bullet is within sensible bounds.

Brgds and 'happy hunting' :)

Terry

Are the 123gr Amax still avaiable i was told they have stopped producing these in place of 120gr Amax ?

dunno but A max will be phased out when the new ELD Match comes online

Why would they stop the 123s when they have better bc ??

because they only have so many machines and have proved the A max tips are not as good as the new ones

dosnt look like a 120 version of the ELD yet but the 140 has a G1 of .610 (G7 .305) the 123 A max only .510 (G7 .252)

then again the 143gn ELD X are .625 (G7 .315)

A max 140gn seem to have disappeared of the Hornaday site But had a G1 of .585 lower than both the EDL M and ELDX I would assume that a 120gn replacement would be similer or better

This has made it hard for me to get my gear together.

It sounds like all the tmks that came into the country where sold within days. Plus they won't be any good for varminting.

Might have to go with these 130 berger hunting . I Dout these elds will be availible within the next 6 months anyway will they?

This has made it hard for me to get my gear together.

It sounds like all the tmks that came into the country where sold within days. Plus they won't be any good for varminting.

Might have to go with these 130 berger hunting . I Dout these elds will be availible within the next 6 months anyway will they?

I've read that the TMK's expand readily, much like Amax.

Well when they come out and are availible readily ill grab a box and try em.

I've settled for rl15 cci 450 mag primers.

And 123amax for time being .

Fingers crossed..

Well when they come out and are availible readily ill grab a box and try em.

I've settled for rl15 cci 450 mag primers.

And 123amax for time being .

Fingers crossed..

My friend has bought 500 i think 140 grain ELDs recently , cant remember who from , could ask him , were prob out Saturday using his new 6.5 CM ruger precision / breaking it in . Ill compare expansion against my Amaxs .

Archived