Jacket quest......will it never end

Shytalk

No doubt, like a number of others I have managed to acquire yet another green coat for Crimbo.

No great shock, I have almost enough of them. Like a growing number of rifle shooters I still maintain the mathematic formula for working out if you actually need another green coat as C+1. C being the number of green coats you currently own!

Having watched the excellently produced short article on Fieldsports Britain, on how to shoot a duck at half a mile (filmed in one of my favourite and previously frequented parts of the world) - I am keen to try to ID the jacket brand of one of the shooters Ulf Lindroth. If there are any coatspotters or total anoraks out there that can assist - please do.

I appreciate Bergans, Haglofs and Norrona make great pieces of kit - but I don't think it is one of theirs.

No great shock, I have almost enough of them. Like a growing number of rifle shooters I still maintain the mathematic formula for working out if you actually need another green coat as C+1. C being the number of green coats you currently own!

That's made me laugh! and just shown your post to my wife who said 'did you write that?'! :lol:

No doubt, like a number of others I have managed to acquire yet another green coat for Crimbo.

Having watched the excellently produced short article on Fieldsports Britain, on how to shoot a duck at half a mile (filmed in one of my favourite and previously frequented parts of the world) - I am keen to try to ID the jacket brand of one of the shooters Ulf Lindroth. If there are any coatspotters or total anoraks out there that can assist - please do.

I appreciate Bergans, Haglofs and Norrona make great pieces of kit - but I don't think it is one of theirs.

Try asking Roe on here, I think he was involved in that film.

This is the plain green version of the jacket that TAIGA make for the Swedish Army in M90 cammo. I have the M90 version and it is a very well designed jacket having maximum function for minimum weight. It is similar to many of the very high end shell jackets made by some of the Scandinavian companies mentioned earlier in this thread. They are all nice and comparable to the arcteryx LEAF gear which can be bought in the UK for mega money. You can occasionally come across a used version of the military M90 version on E Bay but you will have to be patient.

Thank you all. Informative replies and all appreciated. I now have a few smocks/coats (Swanndri, Karrimor SF and Harkila) to move on - before possibly seeking one of those jackets or a Norrona Recon as a perhaps more readily available UK alternative.

I used Goretex ski wear, and it started letting in water after one season. This occurred around areas prone to rubbing, armpits and inside of knees.

Ventile would be worth considering. It's been up Everest............. http://www.horseandhoof.eu/keela-falkland-ventile-country-jacket---olive-53758-p.asp?variantid=53759

H/man

The quest for the ultimate jacket will never end as one will not suit all conditions , you need at least half a dozen , more if you visit warmer climates.

Over heating is a problem I find with most , I like to crack on and get some miles under my belt if I`m out on the moors or in the Highlands , I soon end up wet with sweat even on a dry day so a light breathable jacket is best.....until you stop for a break or stalk then you freeze your **ts off , so then something like a Berghaus Hydrodown works well as they can be packed into a day sack ....plus a poncho for heavy rain :(

Its worth having a look at Fortis , they offer something for most environments ... http://www.fortisclothing.co.uk/fortis-woodsman

I have two Arktis/Country Covers/Fortis jackets. One I have had for over 10 years (waterproof camoreal smock) that doesn't let anything through surprisingly, given the age and condition. It has been well and truly paggered. It is always washed it with nikwax so that has helped to prolong its use, and one of their Forester jackets which is my all round game shooting jacket. They are great items and worth investment. They have an offer on the smocks at present and massive savings on the stalking/sniper style smock. Maybe not for some - but they have enough features. Ventile.....I can't argue. I have a ventile smock which is nearly 20 years old and is my fair weather/chance of rain favourite. I am watching the new Keela range for this next year - that includes a new ventile smock, it may be another addition or replacement.

It's a Arc'Teryx Leaf Alpha.

I have one for work (in fact I have 2)

Not sure how much they are in civvy street won't be cheap £800+

Ditto, Alpha parka is the best one yet, I must have tried most of them, glad its not just me who has the jacket quest.

Guest Stacka

Awesome to keep you dry and warm.

Good access to pockets when using chest rigs.

I wouldn't use one for stalking or hunting, they aren't as silent as other stuff. Silent enough for bad guys, but not for hunting

For fox shooting and stalking I wear a waterproof wool fleece smock from ridge line

If it's a range smock your after. Go for it you won't regret it, and it will last you

Awesome to keep you dry and warm.

Good access to pockets when using chest rigs.

I wouldn't use one for stalking or hunting, they aren't as silent as other stuff. Silent enough for bad guys, but not for hunting

For fox shooting and stalking I wear a waterproof wool fleece smock from ridge line

If it's a range smock your after. Go for it you won't regret it, and it will last you

Cheers , They are around $350 US on flea bay dot com.

Another decent jacket as a green goretex shell is the Harkila Laponia. As above, not overly quiet but worthwhile. I got one because it was half price as a throw in the truck work jacket. Makes for a good paclite layer. For stalking (waterproof and smock'wise) I am currently trialling a Swedteam Pro Titan smock. Expensive but seems to be a fair piece of kit.

Archived