Shooting a suppressor 'wet'

bradders

Knights Armament Corporation design In service with US SOCOM since 1996 and definitely designed to be shot wet. And clearly subject to 'real' use rather than 'play'!

Ha! I think we may be muddling reasons here .......'can be shot wet' vs ....'must be wetted' ;)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Both! But definitely designed to be shot with the baffles wetted. IIRC they are about 10db quieter when loaded with a teaspoon worth of water, which is a lot.

As for vets, years ago, pre-handgun ban, I was asked to teach a stonkingly beautiful female trainee vet how to shoot. Her practice used 0.357 for humane dispatch and she was terribly nervous and gun shy about the whole thing. We spent a really enjoyable couple of hours together 'soothing her nerves' on the range! It was great to see her banging away with confidence by the end. :)

Ha! I think we may be muddling reasons here .......'can be shot wet' vs ....'must be wetted' ;)

Must be wetted?

Who said that?

I was asking if anyone has ever wetted one and seen an improvement or deterioration or whatever

At the risk of getting berated for firing blanks in a suppressor to see how effective they are at slowing and cooling the gasses I did write about First Round Pop after encountering it on a rifle moderator whilst shooting blanks.

http://blog.stegough.com/moderators-suppressors-first-round-pop/

Still need to get to the range to test this out with some better equipment for further testing. Incompetency ruined my live round testing last chance I had to try it.

http://blog.stegough.com/live-rounds-testing-tier-one-spartan-3-moderator-223/

:lol: I can't think of any circumstance; operationally, where having to wet a suppressor in order to make it work quietly makes sense!

It's a 'play' not 'real' idea.

Just read up on the VP-9 you mentioned - blimey, it really is a welrod - and clearly for very real 'stuff' !

attachicon.gifB&T-VP9-Apertura-Pag2.jpg

(the training suppressor makes far more sense than a 'pour water in your suppressor when it's real' solution! :lol::) )

https://www.all4shooters.com/en/Shooting/pistols/2015-articles/B&T-VP9-9mm-single-shot-repeater-silenced-pistol/

Indeed. B&T don't seem to acknowledge the 'pedigree',but there are changes,of course, in their VP9. It still 'looks like' the Welrod,to use the exacting descriptor of proposed Euro legislation.('looks like to whom' etc).

The VP9 seems to have options-training mode with baffles,and 'operational' (vet-veterinary,not veteran) mode with rubber sealing..

One likely change from the 1942 BSA Welrod is the price: seems around 2800 euros......can it be that much? Will it sell in Herriot country?

gbal

Indeed. B&T don't seem to acknowledge the 'pedigree',but there are changes,of course, in their VP9. It still 'looks like' the Welrod,to use the exacting descriptor of proposed Euro legislation.('looks like to whom' etc).

The VP9 seems to have options-training mode with baffles,and 'operational' (vet-veterinary,not veteran) mode with rubber sealing..

One likely change from the 1942 BSA Welrod is the price: seems around 2800 euros......can it be that much? Will it sell in Herriot country?

gbal

Apparently, spraying an inert gas such as CO2 into the bore and sealing the bore has the same reduction in "first round pop" - I can't see much more use of shooting wet than trying to deaden the first round, unless you are re-applying water each shot for follow up shots.

Depends on the application really, for hunting, I'd say a squirt of CO2 and a bit of tape over the end of the bore to stop the gas leaking should be more than enough to deaden the first shot. follow up shots will have burnt gasses in the can anyway.

On the range, its pointless anyway since half the people on the line will be shooting unmoderated regardless, a few Db here or there will make no difference surrounded by masses of gunfire.

The VP9 action does seem pretty pointless unless its made that way for legislation reasons , as I see it its purpose is to dispatch animals in sensitive and confined areas , ie where the public maybe watching , a small firearm and low noise will mean less panic from the viewing public , but sometimes a follow up shot may be required ,also if you are a farmer trying to dispatch a wild boar thats trying to chew your leg off whilst your feeding them faffing around with that action is not good, a moderated 9mm semi would be better.

The VP9 action does seem pretty pointless unless its made that way for legislation reasons , as I see it its purpose is to dispatch animals in sensitive and confined areas , ie where the public maybe watching , a small firearm and low noise will mean less panic from the viewing public , but sometimes a follow up shot may be required ,also if you are a farmer trying to dispatch a wild boar thats trying to chew your leg off whilst your feeding them faffing around with that action is not good, a moderated 9mm semi would be better.

I suspect that you may be the only person in the world to be seeing it as a veterinary pistol! :lol:

If I were to rename it the shortrangesilentassassinator would that help?! :lol::)

I suspect that you may be the only person in the world to be seeing it as a veterinary pistol!

Well I doubt Mossad , "Them" , the FSB or the likes will want a manual cocking "hit" pistol,it offers no benefits , its bulky , heavy ,cumbersome and slow to reload, , the lower noise output compared with some other moderators is negligible making it as obsolete as the 1930`s Welrod for Military use.

Well I doubt Mossad , "Them" , the FSB or the likes will want a manual cocking "hit" pistol,it offers no benefits , its bulky , heavy ,cumbersome and slow to reload, , the lower noise output compared with some other moderators is negligible making it as obsolete as the 1930`s Welrod for Military use.

Well, we all have opinions :wacko:

Apparently, spraying an inert gas such as CO2 into the bore and sealing the bore has the same reduction in "first round pop" - I can't see much more use of shooting wet than trying to deaden the first round, unless you are re-applying water each shot for follow up shots.

In most wet designs, the water, grease or gel will last for about a dozen shots before it needs to be reapplied. And you don't need to apply the stuff just before you fire. Water is good for a few hours, depending on the temperature. Grease or gel will last for weeks.

In most wet designs, the water, grease or gel will last for about a dozen shots before it needs to be reapplied. And you don't need to apply the stuff just before you fire. Water is good for a few hours, depending on the temperature. Grease or gel will last for weeks.

Understood. Admittedly I hadn't come across these designs before they were mentioned here, however I had read of people using water to deaden the first shot and minimize first round pop.

Thanks for the info :)

I most recently shot 9mm and 45ACP wet types and my experience was a wetted suppressor only offered an improvement for the first 2-3 shots, certainly not much more however both devices were at the low end dimensionally. What is equally of interest is controlled forward and lateral venting and the use of alternative materials.

I was out on Saturday night with my .223 straight pull AR fitted with a Jet-z moderator. As it was dark the first shot caused significant muzzle flash, subsiquent shots showed no signature.

I can see how a liquid would replace air inside the mod and even keep the gasses ever so slighlty cool. I looked into a suppresser in the US made from a maglight and a baffle stack, one user raved about the increased suppression when wet.

I certainly wont be trying it with a steel sound moderator :D

First round pop- this may or not not have much to do with 'burning oxygen',though it's not implausible that any oxygen would be burned;( maybe more accurate than 'oxygen ignites the burning powder passing through' ). But it would also be replaced from the atmosphere,as gasses exit the mod.

So,unless someone has done a James Bond test,and blown the gases out immediately after the non verterinary shot,and then fired again (should be another pop?), what is the interval normally between first 'pop' shot,and a subsequent second 'pop' shot...presumably it is more than the typical 8-10 seconds between shots....is it slowed by quickly taping up the muzzle to retard replacement oxygen entering...etc....

Puzzling too,why a film of water would prevent the pop-I can see if the moderator is (fairly) full of water/gel etcor replaced by an inert gas,oxygen will be reduced-but if it's just 'wetted"..which I take to mean the surfaces are 'sprayed' but not immersed....won't there be enough oxygen to still 'pop'..on that theory...

Matt,if having some anti pop gel presquirted into the taped up mod is unappealing,have you thought of fitting conveyor belt material instead of metal baffles with holes....self healing,though the terminal effect outside would not be...in veterinary applications,of course.....

Archived