Sightron v Nightforce

Big Al

Guys,

I would be interested to hear from members who have direct experience of the quality of Sightron S3 compared to Nightforce NXS, I'm thinking particularly in terms of the glass quality both clarity and low light/lamp performance and repeatability of the turrets.

I can't decide between a new S3 6-24x50 LRIRMOA and a very clean NXS 5-22x50 NP-R1with high speed turrets

The second hand NXS is mint but it would still cost me £250 more than I can buy the S3 for which I dont mind so long as it is justified in the performance. I do also wonder if in the long run I would loose less money with the Nightforce?

Don't have sightron but do have a nightforce 5.5x20 they say not much in it glass wize ones nearly twice the price of the other new make of that what you will all I know when it all goes wrong and zombies take over the world and we all run out of bullets you can always remove the nightforce and use it as a club there that we'll made

Well, I only shoot in daylight hours - never had a problem with repeatability or reliability. General feel? I suppose the Nightforce feels more solid - but I can't explain why.

Bottom line - the NXS is around twice the price of the Sightron and a lot heavier - if this matters.

The elephant in the room being that there have been a lot of people that have had problems with sightron in terms of their dialling being inconsistent. If you get a good one they're fine if not it will be extremely frustrating.

I have also shot a rifle with a sightron scope alternately with my Nightforce NF scope on my own range where at some times of the day the target is in the shade. In these circumstances the light transmission and clarity of the night force is far superior to the sightron and indeed the person that owned the sightron immediately replaced it with a Nightforce.

However the bottom line, as always in my view, is you get what you pay for and as has been pointed out the sightrons are a lot cheaper. The after sales service is excellent if you do have a problem and if you are on a budget then they are a good option. For what it's worth I shoot Nightforce on my F class guns as the dialling is excellent. For hunting I use Swarovski as the glass is second to none in my view and there are bargains to be had second hand for sure.

In summary it largely depends on the application as to what would be suitable.

Cheers

Rich

My mate had the sightron S3 6-24x50 but sold it again because he found the field of view very narrow compared to his Zeiss scopes.

I have a sightron 8-32x56. I only use it for targets and I like it but it wouldn't be my first choice for hunting. the field of view is narrow and I think the exposed target turrets move too easily.

I have no experience of Nightforce.

don't discount leupold,you can pick up a nice vx111 for around 5-600 the glass quality beats both your options ,they dial well,and come with lifetime warranty.

i run a couple of nightforce the early nxs was not great at dusk but my atacr seems up there with schmidt glass.not cheap mind and heavy ,thats why i run leupold on my lightweight/hunting rifles.

I have various VX-IIIs, two NXSs plus an ATAC-R. Can't say i feel the Leupold is better than NXS glass but the ATAC-R is def a step up on the NXS. Any of the Nightforces dial well of course.

Got both a Sightron 8-32 and 5.5-22 NXS and will be looking for a replacement to be able to run as a target scope and a hunting scope as one.

Repeatability and good optics within budget is the difficult choice, i'm pretty much in the same boat as you Al.

I'm looking at the new line S3 Sightrons, the ATACR, and also an older Swarovski 6-24 with Target turrets (if a tidy one ever turns up at the right price).

I can't honestly think of a better option unless i up my budget to get close to March or 4-27 Razor (i will leave the conversation to another time on the razor March thing) or a top line IOR.

Got both a Sightron 8-32 and 5.5-22 NXS and will be looking for a replacement to be able to run as a target scope and a hunting scope as one.

Repeatability and good optics within budget is the difficult choice, i'm pretty much in the same boat as you Al.

I'm looking at the new line S3 Sightrons, the ATACR, and also an older Swarovski 6-24 with Target turrets (if a tidy one ever turns up at the right price).

I can't honestly think of a better option unless i up my budget to get close to March or 4-27 Razor (i will leave the conversation to another time on the razor March thing) or a top line IOR.

Have you considered the Kahles k624i good scope for around £1800

The Swarovski 6-24 with the 1/6th MOA clicks is the best all round scope out there in my view, they do come up from time to time and I use them exclusively on my hunting rifles Macleods of Tain often have them as do I (although I don't at the moment). A service on a second hand one by Swarovski is usually free so you can have one as good as new within 3 weeks.

I have sent 7 of these back to Swarovski for service having been bought second hand in the last year for clients and myself they really take a lot of beating and at around £850 which seems the going rate they are incredibly good value.

If using it for hunting then look for the duplex reticle as the crosshair is too fine in poor light.

All the best

Rich (I am a Swarovski dealer so will declare my bias)

Archived