Left-handed UK Aug?

brown dog

I'm beginning to wonder if I've dreamt this....can straight pull Augs be easily swapped r/h to l/h?

You need a different left handed bolt and also have to swap the ejection port cover over, but the charging handle remains the same.

You may be able to swap the cross bolt safety round, but I've never tried it.

Oddly enough, I have twice tried to order a left handed bolt for a customer, but am still waiting for the Sportsman Gun Centre to get back to me

Db, with the charging handle on the left would it not be efficient enough just to enlarge the handle to get a decent grip on it.

OTOH why mess with any handle when you can get AR's and vz 58's with trigger release.

Thanks Mark. Damn, thought they were '180able'. Reasonably priced one on the net got me thinking :(

Ever seen a lefthand Aug over here?

I think I heard of one, but don't know who, where, what, when or why

Thanks. Just dropped him an email. Ugh, wildcat moderator.

Can the utterly sh1te triggers on these be made decent, or does the trigger tamer only take them to 'slightly less sh1te'?

Is there an easy mod to the cocking handle (already on the correct side for a leftie!) to stick an AR-type dog leg job on it?

(Twist OK?)

Sorry - improper use of grammer when I said "too" - I know where mags can be got in UK, not bolts.

I handled an AUG for the first time at my local club the other night. I was surprised at how good the trigger was - not at all what I was expecting. It had a "trigger tamer" fitted.

DB, I am sure bradders will be along shortly but in the mean time I have played with these in semi and full auto form (uk version may be different) - in terms of accuracy and precision - they are a dispersion weapon. Firstly the way the barrel locks into the receiver - grip the barrel and feel the play - this translate to interesting poi changes depending how the weapon is shot - sand bagged vs rested on fore-end grip produced about a 8" vertical poi change at 100m. Also changed again depending on if fore grip was folded or vertical or if held.

Secondly, trigger is sh1te.

Thirdly - mounting a bipod is a PIA, anything on the barrel / gas mechanism results in a poi shift as per fore end grip. .......a long picatinny rail on the top of the receiver would be needed.

Will , thats nice , I have shoot the Steyr AUG , std 20 inche barrel , NZ Army version , quite a lot , as to point of impact change when held different , we never saw it , IF you look at the design , the barrel is actually held in a rear bushing and a midway bushing , these are steel and press fitted into the large Alloy receiver ( this is largely hidden under a plastic stock ) , the most we saw in POI change was when the barrel was removed ( ie like a Quick Change LMG ) .

And when that was done , it had either no noticable change , or worst case it was 1/2 inche out at 100m , so in some ways the barrel is set up a bit like a barrel block on a target rifle .

Also , realise that , you DONOT have to remove the barrel from the housing at all , you can still clean all the parts expect the barrel channel , leaving the barrel in place , it just a little harder & thats it .

There will Always be haters , I liked the AUG a lot , I found it to be short and handy ( not light , like a nam era M16A1 ) , about 8.2 lbs in old money , we did a shoot using the zeroing diamonds , std 1.5x sight , and at ranges from 300m to about 20m , and it showed all our rounds hitting from a low point of dead center to just below the top of the diamond , this is with a 300m zero set .

Remember this has a full 20 inche tube and is short , unlike, your kiddie M4s & Minimi Paras , and as this calibre relys on velocity to give it killing power , also the full lenght barrels , 20 inches , much easier on the ears , than shorter barreled 5.56mm .

Its close to a sniper rifle in terms of accuracy , we saw 1-2 inches at most , most good shots being either just sub 1 inche to just over 1 inche at 100m , and as we used 1 inche square patches , meant most zeroing was patched out with one patch .

I liked the gas piston design , kept the bolt area clean , and the small tapet piston was easy to clean and the gas tube just used a 308 chamber brush .

As to the horrible trigger , Get over it , I posted what you had to do to sort it out , and it is just time & a razor , swiss file or 1200 grit wet n dry paper , and lube with dry graphite .

Although I and RH , I have had 2 weeks of shooting the rifle LH , and after 2 weeks of shooting LH , shot a OK score of 60 out of 70 , easily Qualifing on our std AWQ shoot , as I am not a Lefty , 1st thing I noticed was now that I was using LH arm & hand as master arm to control rifle , is it lacked strenght & co-oridination compared to my Right .

So the 1st 2 things I did , was pull the trigger mech out & mod it , had to lighten the pull due to lack of strenght , and had to support the LH side by using a sling in virtually all shooting positions .

I have not seen a better 5.56mm plastic mag ever , we used to get ones with niks out of the feed lips , and just smooth up the edges with files and use them , No rust and almost impossible to break , they have a very strong & solid hookup , mag catch is massive .

Only bad thing using a LH AUG , is using the cocking handle over the top of rifle , with the std 1.5x opitc , the inside of your wrist would smack into the emergency iron front sight , every time , also depending on your firing style , be aware of firing with front grip up RH , as you can wrap your pinky over the gas piston vent hole , you will only do that once .

Hardest thing to get sparkly clean , for inspection , was the inside the plastic stock around the rods , and inside the barrel housing on the receiver , get a bottle brush for that , and a M16 brush for the 7 lug slots etc .

If you are getting big verticles with a AUG , something must be wrong with it , the only weapon in 5.56mm that is have seen large insane verticles is the crappy Minimi LSW , so bad ,we tryed to zero them with 1 round in the feed tray , and thats from new ,

Mark, any chance of a few more words on the 'why?'

Only because you won't be happy with it, will possibly spend unnecessary money on it and still not be happy.

The trigger will never be great, and you will eventually sell it

Chris, honestly that was the poi changes I was getting......extreme, but pressure on the fore grip puts pressure on the barrelled even if it forms part of the mid mount / gaps system and I could feel play between the front plate and mounting studs if that makes sense.

For the UK it is a cool toy but does not have the same possibility to be made into a precision rifle - match grade triggers, match grade barrels plus the diatribe of tacticool crop.

I wish I'd taken some interest in the hobby aspects of these gats back 'when' - all this stuff just passed me by - can't remember a thing about it beyond 'sh1te sight, cool lasers'!

DSC00335rotatedcrop.jpg

The Fenland Rural chap selling the left hander hasn't answered the email - so it's probably all a bit moot now anyway

I shoot one. No POI issues on mine, barrel lockup is very solid (I managed to get the quick release parts from the US) to which I have swapped off the folding grip for a Ratworx rail which now takes a bipod and a small grip.

It does .5 moa with handloads off the bipod at 100m, and 1 moa with PRVI 69 and 75 gn match. No noticeable shift of impact when shooting freehand with the grip.

Fun for service rifle plinking and compact when shooting foxes out of a truck.

The two issues for me are:

The trigger - mine has two mods on it (trigger tamer and neu trigger) which eliminates problems with smoothness but it's still a looong take up, the squeeze takes some getting used to, hugely better than as supplied though.

The cocking handle - is small and too close to the rail, I tried the god awful paint grinding Armalon cam grip and swiftly returned it, I've seen the ones where folk have attached a machine knob to the side which works well enough but doesn't look great, I'm going to have a stab at rustling a nicer drop in shape in ABS. Taking out one of the twin mighty factory hammer springs makes using the handle much easier, one is more than plenty.

Otherwise it's a keeper.

:)

Archived