UK made chamber reamers

SWShooter

Yep PTG are severely wearing my patience thin currently. Especially with their new(ish) policy of charging up front for all overseas orders....:.. They have my money and I just have to lump it.

Let's not get started on incorrect reamer dimensions, sales staff with no product knowledge, and the inability to transcribe orders correctly or read emails and decipher clear instructions/ specifications. Not to mention it's a crap shoot whether the reamer actually cuts properly, oh and finally being sent dribs and drabs of orders and being charged $40 shipping for individual items when you specifically said to ship the order complete.

Ok, coffee in hand, rant mode off.

Yep PTG are severely wearing my patience thin currently. Especially with there new(ish) policy of charging up front for all overseas orders....:.. They have my money and I just have to lump it.

Let's not get started on incorrect reamer dimensions, sales staff with no product knowledge, and the inability to transcribe orders correctly or read emails and decipher clear instructions/ specifications. Not to mention it's a crap shoot whether the reamer actually cuts properly, oh and finally being sent dribs and drabs of orders and being charged $40 shipping for individual items when you specifically said to ship the order complete.

Ok, coffee in hand, rant mode off.

Exactly

They are great to deal with, I had a new Gun Drill arrive from Scorpion to an agreed design the other day and it is perfect, cuts superbly and they will supply virtually any length to 0.01mm increments on the diameter and can re-grind. I am certainly looking forward to trying their reamers shortly.

I remember a conversation I had with them 6 months back Mik. I told him , whatever they did, the reamers must accept PTG bushes. It was a waste of time otherwise.

I had a conversation with JGS a while ago, who were also on the ball with e-mails etc, but the stumbling block was their pilots....they were different to PTG,s.

No one wants to have to buy a complete set in every bore size again do we ?

I look forward to peoples experiences with them.

I've never noticed any difference with JGS pilots on the reamers I have.

Saying that, it does seem everyone has thrown their hat in the PTG ring. The first reamers I ever got (.223 Rem, .260 Rem and 6BR Norma were all JGS, and that was back in 2001

Still have them too....except the .260.

God only knows where that is!!!!!

Apparently one now needs export licence for reamers.........or so they tell me

:(

Not heard this. I recieved a few items from PTG today and have had no mention of import/export licences. I take it you mean that they're implying you need an import licence?

My .223 Wylde carbide reamer and headspace gauges arrived yesterday.

Forst impressions, it looks very goos and fits my Bald Eagle floating reamer holder

I plan to cut a test chamber sometime over the next few days to see how it works out

Oh, f#@k!

Yep, it's become a real pain. PTG are haphazard to say the least at replying to emails, possibly foreign ones. I was happily yapping to ?Eileen there about a reamer and it seems as soon as a foreign delivery address in involved, end of contact..

In the end, I got a US contact to buy and post it, in fact arrived this morning! He was charged immed on order and it took a good 5 weeks for delivery with no warning of a delay. Got a bonus too- my contact (a near rellie) tells me he can get Leupold at 45% off because his company makes parts for Leupold. B~gger :P

I ordered its Brother, Mark, yesterday.

I think we are going to have to work on those guys regarding pilots however.

On HSS yes, and they realize that, but you can't have screw retained pilots on a carbide reamer as drilling and tapping the nose of a carbide reamer would be difficult and expensive, that's why they're retained by a circlip

Well I'm now sorted with PTG,

Took a conversation with Mr Kiff but the matter is now resolved.

Good morning, as regards to our reamer pilots I thought I would shed a little light on the subject. All of our HSS reamers are retained by a m 2.5 cap screw which is machined below the bushing o/d. As regards to carbide reamers , the conventional method of machining carbide is only done in green state [ pre cintered] so if you were to put a m 2.5 thread in while in its green state the next process of cintering would render it useless. We are using c clip retainers on our carbide reamers at present as this is the most efficient way to keep costs down on the finished product. Screw retained bushings on a carbide reamer is not an impossibility as with most things these days in engineering there is very little which is not possible but all things come at a cost which could be a issue in a cost sensitive market. I will post a price up for a reamer in carbide with a screw retained bush shortly for you to comment on as it would be good to hear your thoughts. As regards to bushings I have no problem if you send me a sample bush which has the correct I/d then I can machine the reamer pilot to suit the I/d of the bush. I wont machine the o/d of any sample bushes .

Regards Chris R Scorpion Tooling

p.s if anybody knows where I can buy a set of drills and taps so I can put a m 2.5 thread into cintered carbide please let me know. :D:D:D

• 1 month later...

Archived