Brass Batch Weighing

Brillo

I read on a thread here (yesterday I think), which I am since unable to find, where Vince and Bruce aka The Gun Pimp and Mole-e30 respectively stated that they do not batch weigh their cases. These guys are well know performers so why do so many F Class and F TR shooters do it?

I was given to understand that this is one of the essential balls aching tasks that need to be done in the search for consistency, accuracy and precision. I would love it if this isn't really essential because keeping them sorted is proving to be irksome.

What is the general view of others?

If it makes you feel good - do it.

There are many things you can do to load the ultimate competition round - some batch-weigh bullets and measure bearing surface lengths, some even weigh primers!

Some anneal after every firing.

Some are obsessed with neck-tension.

If you do everything and you still don't perform to your expectations - at least you know it wasn't your reloads! They were as good as they possibly could be.

After a while, you tend to get to know what matters and what doesn't.

What matters at 1000 yards doesn't matter so much at 500 yards.

here's my two pence worth

I have tried various experiments using both weighed and assorted cases with little difference in results, now this may say more about my shooting than anything else but for the sake of argument lets assume I'm a reasonable shot, I believe that the degree of consistancy gained by weighing cases is minimal and improvements in my technique would be of greater advantage than sitting at home for hours on end sorting cases into batches split by 1/10 of a grain. In my experience cases of differing weight will often have the same volumetric capacity or as near as makes no difference and that coupled with neck tension is what I feel to be important. All that said I always buy brass by the same manufacturer, keep the batches of rounds separate from each other, and keep records of how many times they have been reloaded, neck sized , full sized etc and never ever mix differing brass even for plinking.

OK Brillo - here's why I don't weigh brass.

Until a few years ago, I batch-weighed all my 6PPC (Lapua 220 Russian) cases. Out of every batch, there are always one or two which are either very light or very heavy and won't go into the batches. I chuck these odd cases in a box.

Over the years, I'd built up to about 20 of these heavy or light cases - they must have come from ten different boxes of brass over a ten-year period.

My shooting friend shoots 6PPC benchrest but doesn't neck-turn her own brass - I do it. She was moaning that she wanted some new brass - but I had none - except for these 20 odd cases..............

OK - I though - I'll give you some new brass. I neck-turned these twenty cases for her and fireformed 'em in my fireforming barrel and handed them over at the next comp.

Yes - you've guessed it - she shot a 'screamer' - that's all five shots in a sub 0.1 group!

Never weighed a case since!

It's a waste of time IMO, but then again there are plenty of procedures people will swear make a difference so my advice is to try everything and make your own mind up. Don't just blindly accept what others say is true.

I don't have enough experience in shooting to comment from a shooting standpoint but just from a common sense engineering standpoint. Brass cases weighing exactly the same can still be very different.

Weight seems a pointless measure unless you back it up with two or three other methods.

I dont bother batch weighing......

As far as I am concerned the brass case simply contains the combustion of the powder and releases the bullet.

So long as the necks are straight and the brass isnt damaged, and critical bits like flash holes and primer pockets are good, this is more important.

The difference of 0.2 grains on a case that probably weighs 100 or more grains is irrelevant in my scientific experience.

I would concentrate on the bits you can control such as neck thickness, neck tension, powder weight and bullet weight and imperfections.

When I get home I will weigh my 5 cases from the 6BR that I shot at 1000 yards this weekend, just for fun and curiosity as they shot pretty good.

Cheers

Bruce

I think a lot of people put so much store in messing about with their brass, because its something they can do of an evening , sunday morning etc.

If it improves your mental shooting, then it will make a difference.

What will really make a tangible difference though, is getting off your arse and going and doing some actual shooting.

That improves your shooting no end.

I think a lot of people put so much store in messing about with their brass, because its something they can do of an evening , sunday morning etc.

If it improves your mental shooting, then it will make a difference.

What will really make a tangible difference though, is getting off your arse and going and doing some actual shooting.

That improves your shooting no end.

Brilliant answer Dave. :D

Archived