Building a Black Rifle.

1971silversurfer

OK been thinking outside the box here.

There is a massive amount of talk and chatter surrounding the impending arrival of the new Ruger Precision Rifle in .243w, 6.5 Cree and .308w.

The Ruger rifle looks pretty impressive on paper but that gun will always be a mass produced factory built rifle with the potential flaws and shortcuts taken to maximise profit by the manufacturer.

If you were to go down the custom or semi custom line, whereabouts would you all start if you wanted to build a 6.5 Creedmore black rifle in particular? What action, stock, trigger and barrel would you all use and what scope would you spec the rifle with?

an interesting subject with i suspect a myriad of answers, lets see if there any similarities in specs....

Just because it's a black rifle doesn't mean it's a black rifle

Yes i know, bradders just using the terminology that they are using; this is a rifle that is eagerly anticipated throughout the reporting press and am just asking how you would build it if you were to build something similar to the Ruger using custom or semi custom building materials....thats all.

Yes i know, bradders just using the terminology that they are using; this is a rifle that is eagerly anticipated throughout the reporting press and am just asking how you would build it if you were to build something similar to the Ruger using custom or semi custom building materials....thats all.

I'd be interested too :)

Well personally I'm intrigued to see it (and I do have one on order to see what it's like) but everyone seems to be prejudging it because it's a Ruger, when all they have to go on is a couple of reviews.

It's accuracy seems acceptable, it uses the ever popular Samson Evolution handguard, can take AICS or Pmags, any AR stock, the trigger's probably not bad and it has a hammer forged 5R barrel.

You could change the barrel, but that would cost 2/3 of a new rifle, so I'd just shoot that out and then fit a decent 5R cut barrel (but that probably won't shoot any better, maybe do a trigger job if needed (but probably isn't) and possibly dehorn it.

Anything you do will just be decoration, so I'd wait to see one in the flesh

Until the Ruger showed up I was researching something similar. The closest I have found would be the Mossberg MVP mounted in an MDT LSS chassis. This will take the PMAGs. However in comparison to the Ruger, it looks utterly cr@p!

Interesting discussion point -sort of fantasy football but with rifles?

Start from what you want it to do for you, being honest with your actual needs, and work back from there.

Me, I'd keep it light, 800 yards solid, 1000 now and then (rarely actually!), compact scope, AI mags if possible (as opposed to ASIC's)

Barrel, any known maker, Med Palma is sufficient IMHO

Be nice to have a short throw, 60 deg, action.

Stock is the interesting bit? So many choices?

T

Yes i was also looking at the MDT chassis, but strange thing is I love the look of the Ruger, Bradders point about the barrel change shooting the ruger out also came into my head too. I too am intrigued to see it but despite my best efforts I am unable to get my local RFD to buy into the Rugers buzz.

On my build I would stick to the 24/26 inch barrel too as i'm a fan of them. Scope has to be a rugged looking IOR as I favour that brand but this would add weight to the outfit so Meopta would be an alternative?

Would people mod it or muzzle brake it?

No doubt about it, this Ruger will be popular and it will be good to see how shooters pimp 'em up with brakes, modes, different butts and Cerakote etc.

I'd go for the 6.5 Creedmoor but I was shooting a Barrett in Creedmoor the other day and it did feel quite 'peppy' without a brake. Factory ammo seems pretty good for those starting out.

I suppose that is the beauty of Ruger a bit like Remington....If you dont like something then there are custom options available from aftermarket suppliers out there.

I would imagine that most of these rifles get used on ranges or on steels... would i be right or can anyone see any other usage?

If we are indulging in 'RPR fantasy football', with money no object, I would go for one of Baldie's Odin actions, with a 24" medium palma barrel with a TRG-style brake, dropped into an XLR tactical lite carbon chassis. Scope - an IOR 2.5-10x32 to keep it light and compact. But there are no PMAGs possible with this stock/action, only AICS.

If we are indulging in 'RPR fantasy football', with money no object, I would go for one of Baldie's Odin actions, with a 24" medium palma barrel with a TRG-style brake, dropped into an XLR tactical lite carbon chassis. Scope - an IOR 2.5-10x32 to keep it light and compact. But there are no PMAGs possible with this stock/action, only AICS.

Hmm like your thinking with money no object.... fantasy football, i prefer "Top Trumps" tho :)

MNO builds

'Traditonal' in 6.5 x 47

Valkyrie or BAT action, Bixn Andy trigger, Benchmark Med Palma barrel, 1:8, about 22-23", Carbon fibre KMW Sentinel stock, 3-24 x 52 March with flatline level Muzzle break that takes a supressor. Atlas bi-pod. finish: Stock and scope Hydradipped in Reapercam.

'Chassis' in 6.5 x 47

Pierce Titanuim action, Bixn Andy trigger, Benchmark Carbon wrapped barrel, 20", 1:8, KRG Habu stock, 3-24 x 52 March with flatline level, Atlas bi-pod. Muzzle brake to take supressor i.e. it stays on. Finish: left in th bling.

Both, if possible, fitted with Wilcox RAPTOR-S system - but doubtful it would squeeze in? :(

Terry

ps or 'old World '- Sharps 77 in 45-90 fitted with a MVA tube scope something like this: https://montanavintagearms.com/scopes/ :)

This looks a nice rifle and will certainly fill a niche in the market.

Its not , and never will be in the custom rifle league however.

I hope it will introduce the fabulous Creedmoor to the UK . I feel like there is only myself blazing a trail with this cartridge. People should give it a better look. Its better than both the 47 and the .260.

I hope it will introduce the fabulous Creedmoor to the UK . I feel like there is only myself blazing a trail with this cartridge. People should give it a better look. Its better than both the 47 and the .260.

Dave,

I would give it a good look but for the fact I'm already set up with the 47 for myself and about to be my eldest.

But in real terms I would not shoot any better as my errors with the 47 are down to me, the only time I 'up' my game is swapping to my 7mmSAUM

T

So how would you build a replacement for the Ruger then Dave. What would you see as a "must have" for the rifle for an economical semi custom build and what would you choose for a full blooded custom rifle built along the lines of the Ruger?

Obviously i have a x47 but i do like the fall back option of factory ammunition if i cant be ar$ed to reload some days. The Creedmore certainly fulfills this role if the importers start bringing in the ammunition in quantity. Additionally, If the brass manufacturers like Lapua get making quality brass i can see this calibre going from strength to strength.

Edgars have the first Savage and Barrett Creedmoors and seemingly plenty of factory ammo - which shoots well. I suspect it will be a while however before we see a European brass maker offering it - Hornady will want to capitalise on their 'invention'.

Does anybody have an idea how much the rifle will be in the UK?

If they do not take the &iss it will be £ for $ on US full retail value, so should be $1400 (= £900) = £1400 UK price.

T

How would you define it as "better" baldie? Not being picky you know more than me literally just wondering from gains and plus points you see in the calibre over the others.

Baldie will no doubt chip in if he spots this, but my understanding is that the Creedmoor has the boiler room to handle the 140 grain bullets, whilst maintaining an overall length that will still allow it to magazine feed from an AICS. Of course, the 6.5x47 will do the same, but many people say that it is better suited to the 123 grain bullets.

Archived