2015 Summer Roundhouse - 18/19th July

c18rch

Check it out on the facebook page:

https://m.facebook.com/roundhousefirearmstraining

Summer 2015 Roundhouse Firearms Training Weekend (18th/19th July)

Long & Short Range Precision Rifle

Saturday 18th July - Long Range Precision Rifle (800 to 1,600 yards) - 11:30 to 18:00 (initial 30 minute 100m zeroing)

BBQ Saturday Evening

Sunday 19th July - Short Range Precision Rifle (75 to 650 yards) 09:00 to 16:00

£75 per day or £150 for both, including access to camping facilities and limited bunkhouse accommodation. A £50 non-refundable deposit per shooter is required in advance and certainly no later than 2 weeks prior to the weekend. Contact details for confirming entry are on the 'About' page.

Targets on both days will be reactive steels of various sizes (1" to full size roe deer) and other suitable targets. You are welcome to arrive early and place your own approved targets in position (please advise in advance).

Roundhouse Firearms Training is based near Launceston, Cornwall. Please contact us for further directions and do not advertise them publicly once known.

For those of you who have not shot a Roundhouse day before, please note, it is NOT a rifle range. The rifle you use on the day MUST be your own and be conditioned for field shooting - i.e fox, deer or AOLQ & for zeroing over ground you have permission on etc. There will be NO sharing of rifles. You MUST have your own valid shooting insurance and not be subject to a 'mentoring condition', unless accompanied by your mentor. This will all be checked on the day.

The ground is cleared for fullbore by D&C Constabulary, so an open or closed FAC is ok. Permission to zero will be granted on a daily basis, just like paid stalking etc. The emphasis is on the shooter to be a safe shot and follow safe shooting practice, being responsible for every shot and every moment handling their firearm.

• 3 weeks later...

Weather is looking good for the Roundhouse. Caveated with Bodmin is a law unto itself. Still some places left. Get in touch with Tiff if you want to attend.

• 2 weeks later...

Firstly a massive thank you to everyone for attending, helping out and generally contributing to the great atmosphere of the weekend. Also a special thanks to the weather gods which were pleasantly kind: almost perfect light on Saturday for the longer range shooting and only a slight mizzle Sunday morning, which soon cleared to patchy blue skies and light winds.

Several people attended in advance, arriving on the Friday and very kindly helped with a bit of 'light improvements' to the target areas. A special mention must be made to the Irish contingent (no that type MI5, well at least I don't think they are...), who helped out considerably with moving bits around the moors ready for the weekend. The evening saw the arrival of Desert Tech and Vortex Optics, who along with everyone else enjoyed a venison steak and a drink or two around the charcoal barbecue.

Saturday started with a bit of light exercise for a few willing volunteers, with the repositioning of 1/2 a tonne of sandbags a modest 50 meters across the moors to help with the splash zones. I just may have forgotten to mention at the outset which axis (x or y) the 50m of travel was being made on - again many thanks for your help. After a reasonable tab across the visually breathtaking moors with a final willing volunteer to distribute the remaining safety signs and flags, the day began with 100 meter zeroing. The following 6 hours produced valuable verified drop data and many personal bests. Steel and other reactive targets were engaged between 640 and 1,495 yards. The additional sand around the roe buck & IPSC greatly improved the splash signature. These splashes were crystal clear to spot when viewed through the Viper and simply stunning Razor HD spotting scopes Vortex Optics UK had positioned along the firing line. Bentley and Martin of Vortex Optics also had many rifle scopes available for use, with the Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27x56 FFP scope providing excellent results in partnership with a Desert Tech .338 LapMag. Devon Custom Rifles also had a few rifles and shooters being put through their paces on the point, with a few notable personal bests produced. Equally a shooter with a left handed .260 Accuracy International produced simply stunning results, with a 2nd round hit on the IPSC target at approx. 1,480 yards and many cold bore first round hits closer in. Once rifle shooting had ceased for the day at 18.00, an evening of clay shooting and yet more barbecued venison steaks, light refreshments and good banter over the days shooting continued amidst the dark star filled skies until the small hours.

Sunday morning started with light hill mizzle, but this soon cleared to offer reactive targets from 100 to 650 yards; all of which could be engaged from the single firing point. With many shooters drops validated well the day before, drinks cans and clay pigeons at 640 yards didn't last long. Bruce Hutton's new figure target with 'torso & head' reactive areas proved very popular at 190 yards. The AR500 steel showed few signs of wear after hundreds of rounds being placed on it; everything from .17 HMR to .338 LapMag. Bruce produced the target specially for this weekend, so the base was improvised from a previous smaller design...which enabled a Lap Mag to eventually topple the unit. However with a new larger base or even just this lightweight unit pegged in place I'm confident it will work exceptionally well for many years to come. Vortex UK didn't disappoint either, with their relatively new Razor HD Gen II 1-6x24, complete with exclusive JM-1 BDC reticule designed by Jerry Miculek. The glass in this unit is honestly the best I've ever seen, offering true 1x magnification that is so crystal clear with both eyes open it's barely possible to distinguish if you're looking through the scope or not. The day culminated with a mad minute style shoot, with multiple reactive targets placed in the 300 yard berm: after the command to fire shooters raced each other to engaged the most desirable targets first, a real buzz to finish the weekend on.

There will be HD videos and photographs to follow over the next few days.

Many thanks again for making it such an enjoyable weekend to host.

Tiff

Sound fantastic. I thought the previous events were superb and hope to attend more in the future.

Hopefully Paddy Dane will have furnished me with a suitable tool in time for my next visit.

Where's the pics?

As above, "There will be HD videos and photographs to follow over the next few days."

​I've literally just got home after 10 days up there, I've got 10 hours strimming ahead and will be back up there from 18.00 tomorrow to finish packing up.....With 12+ hours of video to edit, including drone footage to sync in, it's going to take me a day or two I'm afraid...

However, here are a few for now:

11774782_10207136673403645_1336657475_n_

11774349_10207136681883857_1946015936_n_

11779779_1638661293084721_15257846922136

11774522_10207136673283642_1798691957_n_

Thanks again to those that attended and hope to see a few more familiar names and faces at the big shoot next year (date TBC). Also soon I'll be offering more bespoke training/shooting days, details to follow in the next few weeks :) .

Here is a short film of last weekend. For best viewing please select 1080p HD.

N.B. Mods a little help please...how do I embed the video, so it displays a clickable image preview in the post? Done JMH :)

Tiff,

Nice to see it developing, looks like a good day?

The new reactive target is a 'winner', something about hitting 'steels' that is deeply pleasing :)

Need to speak about the illusive mile.

T

Archived