buy in america when on holiday

nearly there

• 2 weeks later...

Bullets, Brass etc. are all controlled under ITAR.

The fact that folks buy them and bring them back in their checked luggage from the US does not make it legal - it's just TSA & airline staff do not know any better!

Before we get into the 'he said/she said' here is a response to this specific question from myself from the DDTC who administer this:

Yes, an export license is required for ammunition and for the components, brass, powder, bullets and primers.

Only a US person registered with DDTC as an exporter can apply for the license.

Stephen M. Geis
DDTC Response Team
Contractor, XL

NOTE: Information in this message generally discusses controls and information contained in the Arms Export Control Act and International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), both of which are authoritative on this matter. The Response Team fields basic process and status questions, and assists exporters in identifying how to get answers to more complex questions handled by the Directorate of Defense Trade Control's licensing and compliance offices. The Response Team's services are not a substitute or replacement for the advisory opinion, general correspondence, and commodity jurisdiction processes delineated in the ITAR, which should be used to obtain authoritative guidance on export control issues, and do not in any way relieve exporters from their responsibilities to comply fully with the law and regulations.

This email is UNCLASSIFIED.

But if you do not believe me ask them yourself!

T

Brought back another ~1000 projectiles a few months back.

As always, there was a TSA inspection certificate left in my case after they opened it.

I've done it at least five times without any trouble

Brought back another ~1000 projectiles a few months back.

As always, there was a TSA inspection certificate left in my case after they opened it.

I've done it at least five times without any trouble

Chris - precisely, the TSA have no idea. I also, prior to being cuaght by customs, purchased bullets etc. and carried them back in my checked luggage.

After being caught, charged and fined will no longer do this.

I need to travel to the US for business so it is not worth the risk as this is a Federal offence.

You take your chances.

Terry

I've just been through this loop trying to get a Tikka M595 223 magazine.......an American dealer has offered to sell/ship me one, so I looked into it, reading the ITAR regs, and it appears to be restricted, but assuming said dealer has the appropriate licence, that should be OK

But then, the contents would have to be clearly and accurately described on the package. It would then be held by the Border Agency on arrival, who would need proof of my authorisation to possess from the issuing constabulary(?) before releasing it.................then there's customs.................

Think I'll stick to using it single-shot............

Hauptman

Here's a piece from the British regs regarding the importing of guns and components::

"If your item is being shipped or posted from a non-EU country, it must have a declaration on the package that clearly identifies its contents. Your item will then be held by UK Border Force whilst the validity of your domestic possession authorities are confirmed by the issuing constabulary.
Your item will only be released when UKBF are satisfied that the correct authorities are in place"

Now, if we are to believe the "meedya", UKBF has their work cut out presently, as have the police firearms offices, so the above will likely get zero priority.............

Although you don't need an authority to possess a magazine, I guess it's still a "component".

H/man .

Last year I ordered a neck turner and associated bits from 21st century shooting supplies, the package fell foul of whoever looked at it purely because of the company name. It was stuck with Border Force for best part of 3 months. It was implied I'd contravened firearm import law, but nobody at Border Force would look at the 21stCentury website or contact me to resolve the matter. Eventually a fellow shooter kindly forwarded some unpublished contact details and the matter was sorted. Effectively any incoming parcel is dealt with on the whims of whoever checks it, levels of common sense and training will most likely determine how fast it goes through the system, Border Force can effectively do as they wish.

Archived