Sako 75 IV rebarrel?

I have a Sako 75 IV in swede improved, and was toying with getting it rebarreled into a long barrelled varminter, any suggestions on calibres that would work for this action?

Was thinking about something in 7mm that would be good in the wind?

Already have a 260rem so don't want to go swede again?

Regards Grouse

The .284 will feed from a 1V .

The Shehane was developed for one reason [ most folk don't know what it is ] to extract easily and quickly on a 1000 yard bench gun....nothing more.

It means custom dies too.

The std .284 would do all you ever need Rich.

Its not overbored so doesn't really need a great long barrel either.

The .284 will feed from a 1V .

The Shehane was developed for one reason [ most folk don't know what it is ] to extract easily and quickly on a 1000 yard bench gun....nothing more.

It means custom dies too.

The std .284 would do all you ever need Rich.

Its not overbored so doesn't really need a great long barrel either.

Umm food for thought!

Could do with a good season now, but think the last 3 weeks of winter like weather has skuppered that...

Umm food for thought!

Could do with a good season now, but think the last 3 weeks of winter like weather has skuppered that...

Get it bought, sounds like helluva calibre. Vaporised crow.........I'm liking the sound of that!!

Their site says custom dies and an 8-12 week delivery.

Will they also ship out of the states ?

That means custom dies to me.

The chance that a set of dies 'off the shelf' will fit what I,ve chambered a rifle in are slim. I don't know how many variants of the .284 shehane reamer there is, but there will be some.

My .284 reamer is minimum spec, which in itself is a variation of the standard SAAMI.

Their site says custom dies and an 8-12 week delivery.

Will they also ship out of the states ?

That means custom dies to me.

The chance that a set of dies 'off the shelf' will fit what I,ve chambered a rifle in are slim. I don't know how many variants of the .284 shehane reamer there is, but there will be some.

My .284 reamer is minimum spec, which in itself is a variation of the standard SAAMI.

They shipped a set of dies to me and I'm not in the states.

I understand they were using PTG reamers to cut the dies based on the most common print, although I accept that there are probably variations being a wildcat, there's enough die variation with SAMMI/CIP cartridges. Personally I wouldn't bother with the Shehane either, I don't think there's enough difference to warrant the extra fire forming involved.

Thats good to know Leeman. It makes a change to find a company in America that will actually export anything these days.

Best dies I have used inc Redding Forster etc.John's wife Carrie is very helpfull with the ordering. When my 7 saum set were finished they arrived within 4 days including getting through customs. The micrometer on the seater is more accuarate tham my redding comp seaters

Good luck

Tony

You could have the Shehane, have your builder chamber a set of Newlon die blanks using a Resize reamer for the Sizing die and the finish reamer for the seater.

Easy job and custom dies for a similar set of Redding Competition dies.

The Shehane is worth the effort.

You could have the Shehane, have your builder chamber a set of Newlon die blanks using a Resize reamer for the Sizing die and the finish reamer for the seater.

Easy job and custom dies for a similar set of Redding Competition dies.

The Shehane is worth the effort.

Can you please explain what advantages a Shehane has over a straight 284 Winchester please?

I've shot both I would go strait .284 less hassle . Use rs70'powder and you will get shehane speeds

Extra speed Is the only reason for the shehane .

The 284! And shehane are prone to shagging brass if you push them to hard read up on bullet types , but there is only one weight for me ..180 grn

Another vote for Whidden Gunworks. Excellent service, great product, reasonable costs and sensible delivery times. They single point their custom made dies so it is simple to order exactly what you want. Or you can send them fired cases and they'll make to fit your chamber. Cheaper than buying a resize reamer and paying someone to make the dies, with the benefit of being hardened for long life.... Neither the 12L14 or 416 Newlon blanks lend themselves well to nitriding or DLC coating as the underlying substrate is still soft. And no company that I'm aware of offers cost-effective case hardening in a controlled atmosphere for one off items like sizing dies in the UK, with most U.S. Smiths using Fireball Heat treating company.

100 fps

The slightly modified Shehane has 3.3 g more capacity.

It shoots very well usually fire forming the regular case-as do most "Ackley' type " improvements-that was one of A's design issues-can use regular ammo to resupply.

Hotter powders will give a bit more fps,but in both -or any-cartridges.

Do you need 100fps more...well,not many long range competitive shooters would gladly opt for 100 fps less,unless there was some trade off- 284 has enough velocity and there is slightly less 'fuss',and cheaper dies-if that matters,when consuming barrels...

It looks the business-perhaps chicks like it. I do. Just what the 284 etc really has is unclear,compared to other cartridges....but there it is...no-one enthuses about 280 Rem etc....the 7Rem Mag might just break through....fashion etc play a part for the must have ....the best is always temporary...

Both work...not sure that reducing body taper and increasing powder capacity are classic ways to improve extraction-(a problem?) both seem to work fine though,and are near ideal cartridges for most F open/1000y shooters.

gbal

The reason the OP wants a change, is this. He wants a long range crow killer that will see all its use on open, windy moorland.

The 3 grains of powder and farking about with fanny class cartridges will make not one jot of difference to him.

Will it Rich ? :lol:

Is it dead ? Is it in a hundred pieces ?

Job done. ;)

The reason the OP wants a change, is this. He wants a long range crow killer that will see all its use on open, windy moorland.

The 3 grains of powder and farking about with fanny class cartridges will make not one jot of difference to him.

Will it Rich ? :lol:

Is it dead ? Is it in a hundred pieces ?

Job done. ;)

That's its primary requirement, might also look at F class??

What varminting bullets should I look at, not looked up Amax weights?

All interesting stuff!

Rich when i got my 1.2 fitted to mine the front of the action was slightly removed to allow a smooth transistion in the the barrel not much at all but some where the front of the action rounds off

Archived