Wind Flag Design

andybrock

I was going to cobble together a couple of simple wind flags what design / shape / how tall etc should I be looking at. I don't need anything too fancy it's just for plinking.

Thanks Andy

Depending on how far away your flag will be may dictate the size, ie something you can see.

Yatch Chandlers stock small wind direction flags on stainless stems, they react to even the smallest breeze for direction.

For wind speed maybe something like a streamer, you could just use a strip of 2inch ribbon 3 foot long, might be good on gentle wind days,,but something heavier and longer for when its really blowing, otherwise the lightweight streamer will flap around all over the place.

The design is already out there. A small version of a windsock is ideal, the design by its very nature giving a good indication of diirection whilst dampening out the eddies and rotor. That design is used by airports for a reason, after all.

Edit to add: They can also be designed to indicate general windspeed, that is the wind speed it takes to lift them to 45 degrees and on to 90 degrees.

A simple streamer - from surveyors tape or similar - will indicate wind direction and strength. Three sticks with streamers (at the height of the bullet's flight) will be adequate for 100 yards.

This is exactly what i did , normally using 3 its sometimes 2 or 3 different strength and direction even at 200 yds :o worse futher out

Archived