want to compete

don't know if i hate left it to late in the year but i am really getting to grips with my rig now and would like to start testing myself and try my hand at competing in some way.

I have a 308 AI AE, don't mind if its specific class match or various just want to get the bug and give it a go, happy from anywhere from 300-1k ... i live in cornwall so a little out the way from most places but any pointers would be great for info and or dates of anything i can take part in please, thank you guys

Tried Millpool ?

no baldie haven't attended any ranges as yet thats why I'm a bit clueless with where to start, tried looking on the net but only shows me military dates and couldn't get any info on anything, probably wasn't looking in the right place thou

With any luck , JohnMh will see this and help, as he lives down there and knows the craic with Millpool.

wicked, hopefully, cheers baldie

Josh,

Tamar shoot at Millpool as a club and in cojunction with other clubs as the range is now on restricted use due to silliness between Landmark and the MOD over contracts.

You are welcome to come as a guest and see how it goes, from memory £20 for the day, normally shoot 4 distances starting at 200 ending at 600 yards (typically 200,300,500 & 600)

Tamar shoot pretty much evrything and arrange some comps to suit all tastes.

I'm not at home at present but can fwd dates later this week

T

Josh,

Tamar shoot at Millpool as a club and in cojunction with other clubs as the range is now on restricted use due to silliness between Landmark and the MOD over contracts.

You are welcome to come as a guest and see how it goes, from memory £20 for the day, normally shoot 4 distances starting at 200 ending at 600 yards (typically 200,300,500 & 600)

Tamar shoot pretty much evrything and arrange some comps to suit all tastes.

I'm not at home at present but can fwd dates later this week

T

thanks terry , from memory your not very far from me are you, maybe a catch up and a coffee or something would be great, kind regards josh

Do you have target shooting on your license?

not specifically restricted to target no, have open license for aolq and for zeroing, thought range work was a given that you were allowed to anyway...

not specifically restricted to target no, have open license for aolq and for zeroing, thought range work was a given that you were allowed to anyway...

No, you'll have to join a HO approved club, get Target shooting on your license and a SSC too

No, you'll have to join a HO approved club, get Target shooting on your license and a SSC too

Not sure about the HO club bit; without digging my licence out, mine is something along the lines of...open this and open that, then something along the lines of: and zeroing and practice on any range with appropriate insurance in place (well, that's the gist of it! )

You can't go and shoot on a Military range unless you are a member of a HO approved club, and to shoot on that range you will need a SSC signed off by the chairman of your club

Not sure about the HO club bit; without digging my licence out, mine is something along the lines of...open this and open that, then something along the lines of: and zeroing and practice on any range with appropriate insurance in place (well, that's the gist of it! )

I was off beam. It says this:

xxx rifle for xxxx control ....and for zeroing on ranges or land over which the holder has lawful authority to shoot.

and later

[[all on this FAC] may also be used for target shooting on ranges suitable for safe use [....etc...] with adequate [insurance]

You can't go and shoot on a Military range unless you are a member of a HO approved club,

OK - I've no idea on that. Target shooting per se as a FAC condition doesn't require HO club membership; whether a particular range requires it is something I'm not sighted on :)

OK - I've no idea on that. Target shooting per se as a FAC condition doesn't require HO club membership; whether a particular range requires it is something I'm not sighted on :)

True, but a club can not hire a MoD range unless it a) is affiliated to the NRA, and B) is Home Office approved.

What happens on private ranges is up to the owners of that range, but Millpool for example is a MoD range

Breif clarification re. shooting with clubs and the 'SCC' or whatever it's called (do not have mine to hand).

A shooter can 'shoot' on a MOD range if directly supervised by a club member, this is how probationary members a) become full members B) obtain the competency card. The card is issued and signed by the club Chairman, not the Secretary - who is the normal person of note when it comes to FAC's etc. It is only issued after doing the either prescribed NRA course or a course devised by the club and submitted to the NRA for approval as an acceptable equivilent (as the NRA one is a bit naff and does not cover enough or IMHO not safe enough)

So if Joshmartins FAC states he can shoot on ranges then he can come along as a guest (name submitted to local plod by Secretary) and shoot as such. Does not need to be a member, does not need a SSC.

If this process was not possible how would you become a member?

Also as a note, some clubs do not bother with this levle of training and therfore negated the whole SSC process and validity :(

Terry (Ex Club Chaiman who went thru' all this process etc. when it came out).

True, but a non SSC holder must be personally supervised and still needs to be a member (probationary or not) of a club unless its an official guest day. You just need to be sensible about it.

The requirements are in JSP 403: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/jsp-403-volume-1-a-range-management

This is the relevant bit:

e. Ensure that Full Members possess and are able to produce valid documentation confirming their membership and their Club Chairman’s certification of their competence on their individual weapon type. This is managed at Club level but is validated, assured and supervised by the NGB who define the processes to be used to issue the Certificates of Competence.

f. Ensure that any Probationary Members are supervised one-to-one at all times by either a Full Member of the club who is authorised by the Chairman of the club or by a NGB trained and certified instructor or coach.

John,

Do not disagree with you at all, can shoot supervised.

Actually at Tamar 'guests' with FAC's and rifles and SSC's are 'supervised' as we do not know them from Adam :)

T

Actually you can only engage in "Target Shooting" as a discipline whilst a member of a (named on your FAC) recognised target shooting club.

That is the condition you must have.

The only way Josh can attend is to join a cub (yours) and be supervised as a probationer.

The only way he can be a guest (apart from official guest days) is to be a member of another club....I think :-)

The simplest way out of this is to just join a club, and I'm surprised so many of you haven't

Actually you can only engage in "Target Shooting" as a discipline whilst a member of a (named on your FAC) recognised target shooting club.

The only way Josh can attend is to join a cub (yours) and be supervised as a probationer.

The only way he can be a guest (apart from official guest days) is to be a member of another club....I think :-)

The simplest way out of this is to just join a club, and I'm surprised so many of you haven't

don't worry I'm guna go down the right route and join a club and get all correct docs and membership anyway to make sure I'm all correct and can then enter what i like, hopefully terry guna point in right direction with tamar..

Doesn't have to be a named club, just a HO approved one. My license states "target shooting whilst member of a HO approved club..."

Being the member of quite a few clubs this makes more sense for me.

But once you join a club you'll be fine. As Mark says, if you want to target shoot (and not just shoot at targets, ie zeroing etc) then joining a club is the best way and should be the first port of call.

I think we're giving the OP the wrong advice and guidance. We should steer him away from competing because the sport then gets SO addictive there won't be room for anything else:-)

Archived