Best way to control damp & moisture in your cabinet ?

SWShooter

All usual stuff about not putting guns away wet, if practical let them warm up before you lock them away (must admit i don't do this) don't leave them in gun bags because they hold moisture,

As a rust preventer you can buy silica pouches like napier VP90 to put in the cab

BUT what I do & this sounds really tight, is I keep & ask familly to keep all those squaer pouches you get when you buy new electrical goods they are there to catch moisture in the air.

I have heard of people keeping dried rice in their cabs,..... maybe not what your looking for but they are two effective alternatives to the Napier VP90

PS you can buy silica pouches on THE auction site its really really cheep.

hope this helps

Various options

Some form a desiccant, or VCI products e.g. VP90 or some form of heat, low wattage bulb or the heaters put inside electrical switch gear/CCTV camera housings.

Depends on how big the problem is?

My cabinets are over hot water pipe runs and have a VCI pad inside each one just fir good measure. Damp guns go by the AGA for while before being put away.

Up to you to judge and apply as you feel's right?

T

The main thing is to keep the cabinet warm so that it doesn't form a dew point. A good idea is to use a low voltage reptile heating mat.

By the way, VP90 isn't a desiccant. It's a 'vapour phase corrosion inhibitor'. The chemicals form a cloud that bonds with metals at the molecular level, preventing moisture from even reaching the surface. It's clever stuff and every cabinet should have a sachet.

As stated above, I use Napier VP90. Also, I stole some of the Mrs's thigh high tube socks and all my guns live in those while in the cabinet. They take some stretching to make them big enough to get over a scoped rifle but it keeps them insulated and any moisture is wicked away by the sock.

Someone should make gun socks.

Someone should make gun socks.

Someone does, can't remember the name but I think Alan Rhone sells them.

Dry guns and lightly oil before putting them in the cabinet with moisture traps in, I also have a thin piece of sterling board sandwiched between the cabinet and the wall and floor, I've found this cuts down on temperature differences and so condensation, but I live in an old stone cottage so it might not be relevant in your circumstances

I have several cabinets all have retile heater pads on the rear wall, they raise the temp to 8 degrees if memory serves me correctly (maybe higher) the important thing is they keep the air moving and if there is any damp it doesnt stay damp long.

VP 90, dessicants, socks, all well and good, but a low power heat source thats kept on all the time is the best method.

I have several cabinets all have retile heater pads on the rear wall, they raise the temp to 8 degrees if memory serves me correctly (maybe higher) the important thing is they keep the air moving and if there is any damp it doesnt stay damp long.

VP 90, dessicants, socks, all well and good, but a low power heat source thats kept on all the time is the best method.

Andy what powers these?

The best stuff I have found is the silica gel dessicant used for hyperbaric chambers. The stuff you want comes in paint sized tins and the grains turn from orange to colourless when they're past best. Geejay Chemicals Ltd make the stuff.

I reckon these boot dryers would work (great for your boots as intended) , low draw as well http://www.willisandgrabham.co.uk/product/husqvarna-shoe-boot-dryer

That would work well. The 6mm BR website recommends a similar product called a 'Goldenrod', but they are not so easy to find in the UK. For less money you can get a reptile heating mat from Amazon in the exact size that you need for your cabinet. The tricky bit is working out how to route the cable.

Heating mat + silica gel dessicant + vapour phase corrosion inhibitor would give you a 'bulletproof' solution!

probably been said before but if using desicant and dryers that will take the moisture out of the air rather than keeping the cabinet and equipment warm hence limiting condense , be careful how much of the chemicals you put in the cabinet because it can draw excessive moisture out of the air and from wooden gun stocks , especially older guns and cause the wood to split .

• 4 weeks later...

I use a 40 w bulb and holder wired through a thermostat. I just set the thermostat at whatever temperature I want. In my house there are large field stones in the walls so damp was a problem. Any time I put a gun away ,within half an hour it is bone dry.

I use a small 40 watt tube heater on a timer in the bottom of my rifle cabinet, works a treat and used with the timer with respect to over drying out wood stocks

RSC

I had not thought of the reptile or shoe heater but I fitted my cabinate with

direct contact onto the supply pipes to the central heating system so in the cold

weather the temp is kept above dew point.

I have access to descants through work but I find my oil soaked cleaning rag

absorbs any excess moisture being a hygroscopic oil and I throw it into the bottom

of my cabinate after use.

Regards

ozone

• 2 weeks later...

I always wipe my guns with an oily rag with a small amount of gun oil on paying special attention to the parts that have been handled as the salt from your skin will cause instant rust spots especially on blued metal I also use gun socks that I bought of Amazon for a couple of quid each thease I have sprayed with silicone and I also have a moisture trap in the bottom of the cabinet and this collects an amazing amount of moisture wich I empty and replace periodically and to top it all I have a dehumidifier set at 60% running my man cave is just that it's in the basement and I have a constant battle with moisture. I do like the sound of reptile matting coupled with a thermostat sounds like a good safe way to keep moisture at bay.

Archived