Every Day Carry

Mauser3006

Many people interested in being a little more self-reliant than the average person have an 'Every Day Carry' (EDC). Mine is a Vanguard EDC Maximiser.

I carry:

Leatherman Wave

Leatherman additional bit kit

Gerber torch

Spork

Spare battery for my phone

Notebook

Lighter

Swiss Army Knife

Lipsol

LAIX B2W Tungsten Steel Tip Pen

Sharpie black permi marker

Toothbrush

Ear plugs

Compass

Knife sharpener

Cold/flu tablets

Mini cyalumes

Spare batteries AA and AAA

Paracord

Puritabs

I chuck it in my bag every day and it's suprising how often I need bits. I like the idea of being a little more squared away than everyone else should I get stuck away from home. Whilst it's not a "get you home Bag" (GYHB - a topic for another day!) it's enough for the short term. What do you carry?

post-14097-0-67660700-1427743243_thumb.jpg

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My EDC is very basic, it's my Spyderco Endura 4 knife. It mainly lives in my truck tbh as anywhere I may need it ill be in my truck anyway. I sharpen in on the one and only Wicked edge as and when it needs it, which is not very often tbh if you look after your edge.

Steve

Great kit.

I used simply to have a mini SOG lock knife on my key ring: "Q: What's the best knife in the world? A: The one you have with you" but stopped carrying it when lockblades were reclassed as offensive weapons.

Also had a keyring LED torch (and this has just reminded me that I don't have it anymore)!

I'll have to have a think about rectifying the situation! I like the idea of a kit, but I think I need to have pocket-size stuff to stand any chance of actually having it with me.

[i always mean to carry 30m of paracord and a carabiner to French hotels (rubbish fire regs, and ready to abseil down on an italian hitch) -but always forget until I'm there!]

spyderco bug, little LED light and a 'ResQme' live on my keys.

I also have my Daypack pretty well rigged out, and I carry that to work, and on any journey out of town.

spyderco bug, little LED light and a 'ResQme' live on my keys.

I also have my Daypack pretty well rigged out, and I carry that to work, and on any journey out of town.

ResQme is a new one on me: http://resqme.com/resqme/ Does the spike/striker actually do what it claims?

Get a SOG paratool matt , blades are non lockable . Have one with me all the time and gets regular use for work and home . Certainly not as multi tasking as some of the multitools but a very capable and carriable tool . .

Get a SOG paratool matt , blades are non lockable . Have one with me all the time and gets regular use for work and home . Certainly not as multi tasking as some of the multitools but a very capable and carriable tool . .

I find multitools too heavy in the pocket for everyday (also think I have a SOG paratool somewhere - think it has locking blades?)

20 ciggies and my lighter

:lol:

Yep. I bought one straight after watching the footage of people trying to break windows in the aftermath of the bonfire crash on the motorway

Sold!

...lockblades were reclassed as offensive weapons.

Not strictly true. There are two separate offences here:

1. The only knife legal for EDC has a blade which is not capable of being locked open, and a cutting edge less than 3" long. The smaller Swiss Army Knives are a typical example. The relevant law is s.139 of the Criminal Justice Act 1988:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/33/section/139

2. An offensive weapon in English law is anything used, intended or adapted to cause harm. The relevant law is s.1 of the Prevention of Crime Act 1953:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Eliz2/1-2/14/section/1

maximus "Ex-bobby" otter

I think a first aid kit is kind of essential, especially if you are shooting. Noone knows what might ever happen.

I always have 2 Israeli banadages and 2 packs of Quikclot Gauze in my shooting bag - I think most people scale their kit for trying to stabilise a gunshot wound with the kit equivalent of trying to manure a 10 acre field with a fart.

Not strictly true. There are two separate offences here:

1. The only knife legal for EDC has a blade which is not capable of being locked open, and a cutting edge less than 3" long. The smaller Swiss Army Knives are a typical example. The relevant law is s.139 of the Criminal Justice Act 1988:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/33/section/139

2. An offensive weapon in English law is anything used, intended or adapted to cause harm. The relevant law is s.1 of the Prevention of Crime Act 1953:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Eliz2/1-2/14/section/1

maximus "Ex-bobby" otter

Eh? Could you run that again? :) Not strictly true, but not legal either?! Is the net effect of routinely carrying a lockblade not that you will be charged with possessing an offensive weapon? I get that anything can be classed as an offensive weapon if used offensively, a large turnip, whatever; but isn't there now a presumption in Law that a fixed blade is automatically a criminal offence "Offence of having article with blade or point in public place." - Are we dancing on a pinhead here?! :)

I always have 2 Israeli banadages and 2 packs of Quikclot Gauze in my shooting bag - I think most people scale their kit for trying to stabilise a gunshot wound with the kit equivalent of trying to manure a 10 acre field with a fart.

?

Eh? Could you run that again? :) Not strictly true, but not legal either?! Is the net effect of routinely carrying a lockblade not that you will be charged with possessing an offensive weapon? I get that anything can be classed as an offensive weapon if used offensively, a large turnip, whatever; but isn't there now a presumption in Law that a fixed blade is automatically a criminal offence "Offence of having article with blade or point in public place." - Are we dancing on a pinhead here?! :)

There is the simple (s.139) offence of carrying a bladed or pointed object. No violence/intended violence involved.

There is the offence of "possessing an offensive weapon" if violence/intended violence is involved.

There is not a presumption in law that "carrying a fixed blade is automatically a criminal offence". s.139 (4) states:

"It shall be a defence for a person charged with an offence under this section to prove that he had good reason or lawful authority for having the article with him in a public place."

That covers, for example, deer stalking.

maximus otter

There is the simple (s.139) offence of carrying a bladed or pointed object. No violence/intended violence involved.

There is the offence of "possessing an offensive weapon" if violence/intended violence is involved.

There is not a presumption in law that "carrying a fixed blade is automatically a criminal offence". s.139 (4) states:

"It shall be a defence for a person charged with an offence under this section to prove that he had good reason or lawful authority for having the article with him in a public place."

That covers, for example, deer stalking.

maximus otter

Got it: Good reason can be established, but for most of us going about our daily life. there isn't 'good reason' to have a lockblade on our keyring -and the average chap doing average stuff will be charged with an offence of one sort or another if he walks around with a lockblade in his pocket?

(Apocryphal story I read or heard somewhere was a businessman being done for having a multitool (with locking blades) in his briefcase)

I have field dressings in my shooting kit , plus more in my car which is never generally far away when shooting. interestingly we did a risk assessment for range shooting at my club and a doctor we had in the club at the time said that there was a greater need for an AED/first aid training than field dressings because with the membership demographic a heart attack was more likely to need to be dealt with than a gunshot wound ?

as for edc , I have a grab bag in my car but on my person I generally have a knife , torch , lighter when outdoors . the grab bag is kept in a cubby hole in the boot of my car and is accordingly difficult to access , this should show the police that I do not intend to use it's contents for evil doings!

1. Got it: Good reason can be established, but for most of us going about our daily life. there isn't 'good reason' to have a lockblade on our keyring

2. -and the average chap doing average stuff will be charged with an offence of one sort or another if he walks around with a lockblade in his pocket?

3. (Apocryphal story I read or heard somewhere was a businessman being done for having a multitool (with locking blades) in his briefcase)

1. Correct.

2. It's possible, though your chances of being stopped, searched and prosecuted are tiny, especially if you're going about lawful business and are polite and reasonable.

3. Not apocryphal, though a quick Google hasn't turned up the incident. If I remember correctly he had a small Leatherman or Gerber-type multitool with a locking blade, and was daft enough to accept a caution "just to save time and hassle" despite there being no attendant criminal circumstances.

maximus otter

3. Not apocryphal, though a quick Google hasn't turned up the incident. If I remember correctly he had a small Leatherman or Gerber-type multitool with a locking blade, and was daft enough to accept a caution "just to save time and hassle" despite there being no attendant criminal circumstances.

maximus otter

I remember the incident well because the chap in question used to be my wife's boss. An ex-Army Brigadier would you believe and the DG of the Institute of Civil Engineers at the time. He is a fantastic bloke and his arrest and caution was a complete travesty.

The thing he was carrying on to Eurostar when he was arrested was a 'Swiss-card' multitool, with a tiny little fixed blade.

I personally carry a Spyderco Squeak, which is fully UK legal, having a short, slip-joint blade. Spyderco make quite a few UK-legal carry knives now, as do other makers. There's really no need to carry a locking knife, unless you have a lawful reason such as work or hunting.

I'm bored at home after an operation, so I will try and cobble together my EDC stuff at some point.

Been looking at the first aid kit side of things, general and something to stick in the range bag.

Question - Quickclot or Celox - any real difference if putting a small first aid together?

Cheers T

Been looking at the first aid kit side of things, general and something to stick in the range bag.

Question - Quickclot or Celox - any real difference if putting a small first aid together?

Cheers T

Quikclot used to risk burning. The modern stuff doesn't. There's now nothing to choose between the two brands.

The main thing to do is visualise packing a wound: Don't buy granules, buy something that is impregnated with the quikclot/celox that you can pack with (visualise trying to pour granules in to a wound on a windy day or with a writhing patient!).