Are AR15 bolts standard and interchangeable?

MrCetrizine

An idiot friend of mine has somehow snapped a locking lug off his AR15 bolt. He won't tell me how but knowing him, he was being a moron.

He said he's just going to buy another one.

I know the carrier group end is standard but do the bolts need headspace adjustments or something done to them? Can he just buy one, fit it and go?

Technically speaking, it would require headspace checking before firing (and firing pin protrusion)

That's what would happen if it was a broken one brought into me to be repaired and re-issued.

Honestly, The only AR I've seen fail CHS was due to a very high diet of full auto fire (10" barrel- which was also loose)

The tone of your message suggests he is something of a liability!

Should he be allowed guns (And to cross the road without an adult?!)

Please PM me if he shoots CSR, so I can make sure of being in the butts, not next to him on the firing point.

Some people claim all AR bolts are the same, but they aren't.

I'd imagine that if all that was lost was a lug on the bolt then there's no other damage, but it's worth getting it checked anyway.

I'm happy to have a look and repair/replace parts as necessary

He doesn't shoot CSR or anything outside his new club, thankfully he moved away and is no longer a member of my club. He is the type who would take a Dremmel to a rifle because, "they made it wrong".

I'll give him your details Mark but I'm pretty sure he'll ignore my advice and just buy a bolt from Brownell's or something.

There's just no helping some people.

He doesn't shoot CSR or anything outside his new club, thankfully he moved away and is no longer a member of my club. He is the type who would take a Dremmel to a rifle because, "they made it wrong".

I'll give him your details Mark but I'm pretty sure he'll ignore my advice and just buy a bolt from Brownell's or something.

There's just no helping some people.

Ok then just leave me out of it thanks

Will Brownell's or any other reputable supplier in the USA supply an AR bolt to a customer abroad on request these days? I'd be surprised if he can find anyone to sell him one. (That's assuming he's not got any American friends or relatives whom he can persuade to perform an illegal export job for him.)

Anyway, he's got six lugs left ..... he sounds the sort of guy who'll just manage on them! :wacko::wacko:

Will Brownell's or any other reputable supplier in the USA supply an AR bolt to a customer abroad on request these days?

It looks that way...

http://www.brownells.co.uk/epages/UK.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/UK/Products/41509851111000/SubProducts/851111000

I really hope he does the right thing. I'm backing away from him on this one. I've told him to seek help with it, if he doesn't then it's not my fault.

He did return his CMMG .22 AR to the dealer when he broke that so maybe he'll do the same this time.

Hmmm interesting! I didn't know they have a UK 'branch'. I wonder what paperwork they require to supply things like bolts that fall within our definition of 'pressure bearing parts'?

The UK Branch is what used to be Midway UK, the NRA Phoenix Meeting (previously sponsored by Midway UK) is now sponsored by Brownells UK. The mark-up is a bit steep, RCBS 10-10 scale in USA ($159.99 approx £110), in the UK £199.30, day light robbery?

I'm not getting into what BrownwayUK might or might not do, and what they may or may not be charging, but they are listing a stripped DPMS bolt here for £39.50...and that's not bad

http://www.brownells.co.uk/epages/UK.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/UK/Products/17519231000065/SubProducts/231000065

Now as far as I know, you can not sell a pressure bearing component without it being proofed (that may or may not be true) but it is still possible to order from Brownells USA at this time.

I have been doing so regularly.

What I do believe though is that you can have a spare bolt....but you must have the authority on your license

I bought some complete bolt assemblies last week from Brownells.

They were shipped to me as I,m an RFD, but I have a sneaking suspicion they would have sent them to anyone.

That is illegal in the UK as the bolt is a pressure bearing part, and Brownells UK [ as the vendor ] would have accepted the contract and they are a UK company, and subject to UK proof laws.

All AR bolts differ. They need headspacing on the barrel they were chambered with. Yes, some will interchange, but its more luck if they do.

If he's managed to shear off a lug with overpressure...oooooh.... :o

Actually it's not unheard of for lugs to shear off for a variety of reasons.

Wait until you see one with the carrier split....then we're talking pressure :-)

IMG_1074_zpspapnhw4l.jpg

IMG_1076_zpsd8kh7mso.jpg

IMG_1078_zpsgldjbyhh.jpg

IMG_1080_zpsp8tt5mue.jpg

IMG_1082_zpsx24d52nx.jpg

IMG_1084_zpsa0rh9jx4.jpg

IMG_1086_zpsscz7ekvq.jpg

IMG_1088_zpsricoqbxi.jpg

IMG_1090_zpssf90gxxk.jpg

Never did get the case out of the chamber!

Hey Ho - that was a biggie! I love the pic of the half cartridge rim. Hope the gas went down the magazine well not backwards!

Actually it's not unheard of for lugs to shear off for a variety of reasons.

Wait until you see one with the carrier split....then we're talking pressure :-)

IMG_1074_zpspapnhw4l.jpg

IMG_1076_zpsd8kh7mso.jpg

IMG_1078_zpsgldjbyhh.jpg

IMG_1080_zpsp8tt5mue.jpg

IMG_1082_zpsx24d52nx.jpg

IMG_1084_zpsa0rh9jx4.jpg

IMG_1086_zpsscz7ekvq.jpg

IMG_1088_zpsricoqbxi.jpg

IMG_1090_zpssf90gxxk.jpg

Never did get the case out of the chamber!

Blimey!

:blink: .... I'm impressed (by the rifle not its owner who must have either been unlucky with factory ammo or done something pretty BAD in his handloading or basic rifle handling to achieve that).

:blink: .... I'm impressed (by the rifle not its owner who must have either been unlucky with factory ammo or done something pretty BAD in his handloading or basic rifle handling to achieve that).

Actually none of those.

The guy was at the range with his club and one of the members (who really isn't a bright spark) gave then a box of ammo.

He said (I think) he found it in the armoury at his clubhouse.

So they were shooting this free ammo until one of them went Kaboom.

There's a lesson in there folks

Archived