6mm slr

Presumably you have googled it-6mmSLR also on 6mmar.com SuperLR? etc

Basically a 243 with a longer neck,30 degree (rather than 20) shoulder and slightly less capacity than 243.

Hard to see a strong reason for it,especially if 243AI is in the mix,with more capacity. Dies...all the usual questions arise,but check it out,might have missed something special......

I am thinking fast twist 243 (AI?) for 115 DTACs,not at all shabby....just well established!

gbal

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/index.php?topic=3861345.0 I'm not personally keen on this one. I prefer to have the option to shoot factory ammo if need be. Having had a try at a 243 AI, I'm also leary of having to get custom dies even when factory ammo is available.

However, if it floats your boat, go for it.

Regards

JCS

Im not entirely sure but , the slr , isnt the new shape case and longer neck supposed to have a slight edge on accuracy ? Does it have small rifle primers? Prob not as is it the243 parent case ? Surly it wouldn't wear out the throat quite as quick also as slightly less capacity ? Atb- tim.

I love the 'sixes' but, the 243 AI struggles to use its extra case capacity and yep - sometimes you just want a round that uses off the shelf dies and (quality) brass and even loaded ammo - that's my reason for going with the 6XC.

Has XC got small flash hole and SR primers ? Atb- tim

I've been reading up on this one myself on the U.S. forums. Apart from the 'accuracy' 30 degree shoulder, one of the advantages of the SLR is that you can use slow, cooler burning powders, like H1000, N160 and N165. This is supposed to give a 3000+ barrel life.

One consideration of the SLR is that it doesn't work well with Lapua brass; the thicker case wall leaving a doughnut. Best options are supposed to be Winchester or Remington.

The other alternative is 6mm Competition Match. This has a similar 31 degree shoulder, but is fire formed instead - a bit like a 6mm Dasher. These are supposed to achieve a 4000 round barrel life with the same powders. If the reamer is cut correctly, I gather that you can use Lapua brass.

Both are supposed to feed well from magazines.

Tim,the water capacity of he SLR is 54g,243 is 55g -unlikely to make much of a difference in throat wear;the shoulder angle is claimed better..because 6PPC and BR have the same angle...seems a bit tenuous tome-those two have other attributes like short fat cases too....actual evidence of superior accuracy is......still looking!

There are others,as posts mention,quite a few -XC is one such,with some UK history.Better than the 243-well,depends on your criteria,as always. Like the 308,the 243 does a lot pretty well,and any tweaking seems to have +/_ aspects.Fast twist for the 105+ bullets seems sensible if a bit more range is needed,otherwise it's diminishing returns for most of the tweaking,unless you have a clearly defined niche-or like to pedal uphill.

gbal

i have been shooting a 6slr for about a year (chambered by dannyt ) on here and really liking the gun but what a boring calibre .330 average over 50 groups with it shot at 100yards and a decent 1 moa in string condidtions at 600 yards

but now moving over to the 6 dasher purely for a change and a new challenge

I think the real beauty of this cal is the longer neck allowing optimal seating of the 115 grain bullets without robbing case space. I've seen some reports that barrels last longer than straight 243 and some that say it's the same. Once I've burnt my 243 out I may well chamber a barrel in this just for something different.

By all means,guys.Indulge.

Maybe the 'something different' is revealing-why not.

If .330 is boring ( :-) ) what about the 6PPC-it's uber boring on that criterion.The Dasher will be in the same ballpark.But it's a good ball park,and quite a bit longer.

Remember the longer neck comes at the cost of a little less powder capacity-I doubt that velocities will be much different: the evidence for long/short necks is equivocal,but why not. It might add a few yards,and round life,for the DTAC.(handy if the target is 1015 yards,not 1000y away. :-)

I just fancy it,it's a bit different,I'll have to get more toys,and so on are completely adequate reasons,and we will all be grateful if something of value emerges (though it's probably done so/not already).Have fun.

gbal

In reality though do you loose powder space as with the regular 243 and a 115 dtac seated to the lands in my barrel it is seated pretty deep there fore no doubt loosing some powder room. With the long neck the bullet won't rob any room for powder in theory so I would say its swings and round about's on that argument.

Velocities I've seen quoted are pretty much identical

In reality though do you loose powder space as with the regular 243 and a 115 dtac seated to the lands in my barrel it is seated pretty deep there fore no doubt loosing some powder room. With the long neck the bullet won't rob any room for powder in theory so I would say its swings and round about's on that argument.

Velocities I've seen quoted are pretty much identical

Danny,seemed that way to me-so the default 243 seemed fine-whether Ackley is worth while,I'm less sure.(just as A was.)

The fast twist (+DTAC) does seem to be a total rewrite what the 243 can do at distance-as in other calibres benefitting from high BC bullets.And if one has the rifle,brass,dies....and a little adventure....the 6-08 makes a lot of sense !

gbal

Danny,seemed that way to me-so the default 243 seemed fine-whether Ackley is worth while,I'm less sure.(just as A was.)

The fast twist (+DTAC) does seem to be a total rewrite what the 243 can do at distance-as in other calibres benefitting from high BC bullets.And if one has the rifle,brass,dies....and a little adventure....the 6-08 makes a lot of sense !

gbal[/quote

I don't know what my 243 is pushing the dtac out at as yet but they go into silly small groups.

I'm hoping to get 2000 out of the 243 before it goes in the bin but I must say the 6 slr may be what I replace it with once it does go.

To me with the new high bc bullets available the 243 is a great long range cartridge and barrel life is the only drawback

I will consider my barrel shot out when it deteriorates to .75" Vince. At the moment with 24 rounds down it it's very much less than that. Guys I have emailed in the states are quoting more than that using the very slow cool burning powders so I figured 2000 was reasonably optimistic. If it goes before that the so be it.

I have a Valkyrie 6mmSLR and love it.

To be honest it was an experimental indulgence...ie XLR chassis stock,wildcat but easy to form brass,dies readily available,boron costing Dtacs.

It works for me as 'something a bit different'.

Have shot the 243AI, 6x47Lapua, 6mmSwiss Match and 6mmSmack in 600 and 1000 yd benchrest competition, I would say 2000 rounds is fantasy if you want it to keep shooting 'silly small groups'!

Lower heat of explosion powders are supposed to be the key to the long barrel life on these cartridges compared to others such as the 6XC.

Joe Hendricks, the XTC shooter who invented the 6mm CM, claims to have shot a half MOA group from a barrel with a 4000 round count!

Lower heat of explosion powders are supposed to be the key to the long barrel life on these cartridges compared to others such as the 6XC.

Joe Hendricks, the XTC shooter who invented the 6mm CM, claims to have shot a half MOA group from a barrel with a 4000 round count!

As do many others on US sites. I'm using a lowther barrel which I'm hoping will help it last a little longer also.

Thank you for the imput so far folks, the rifle will be a deer and fox tool as for abit of brass prep I'd rather do that than watch the rubbish that's on telly in the evening.

I have used .243 for years with no real complaints just fancy something alittle different, but have great respect for the 6mm as a caliber, also that sharp angle case with a nice long bullet looks great!

Shuggy, I think I've shot a .5 group with a Sako 243 with that sot of round count....oddly enough with short 68g BR bullets,which you'd think were scraping through all the firecracking if it's there.....i'd not take bets on it happening every 5 shots though!!

I wish now I'd been using these cool powders for the last four decades with it,

Butit does raise the question,why can't the 243 benefit from these barrel life extending cool powders.WE'll see if they feally do,but some of the other 6s are pretty close to classic 243,so it's hard-for me-to see why the 24r3 can't also benefit potentially.

Also,can .06 longer neck really make much difference(in a case that has lost a little capacity,before the bullet intrudes) ?

Vince's evidence from actual shooting seems persuasive to me-not much between them,and probably nothing if run equally....or is it all "not really proven...yet". Differences without distinctions,maybe.

Danny, 243 Dtac and tiny groups sounds endurable to me,while the above jury is out.Good old/new 6-08!

(and ,bonus,all my brass isn't Lapua-were they around in 1972?) :-) All interesting stuff,though.

gbal

Gbal, the answer is that you can of course use these powders in .243 and indeed many do. However .243s don't seem to achieve anywhere near the same barrel life as is reported for these wildcats.

Exactly the same question was asked on the accurate shooter forum and there was some speculation that the 30 degree case pulls the turbulence point back inside the case neck.

Joe Hendricks and other US shooters take a more pragmatic attitude. I'm paraphrasing, but 'they say' that they are not exactly sure why the 6mm CM and SLR achieve more barrel life than the .243 with these powders; but they do!

Powder burning, and coming up the case shoulders meets inside the case neck, and not inside the barrel throat as in a 243. This is why.

Hold a straight edge on the case shoulder and see where it exits.

Archived