Gun Cabinet

I need some advice please. I need another cabinet, one that will hold at least 3 F Class/ F T/R rifles with 33" barrels and scopes attached.

What is my best option without spending too much dosh?

Many thanks

None of my "effers" fit in my cabinets - I take em out of the stock every time.

Ive also got the tallest Bratton Sound Cabinet and a extra tall Ifac - both won't fit without removal from the stock.

Another option is a Brattonsound with ammo locker and cut a hole in the ammo locker floor to accept the top couple of inches of barrel. Line the edges of the hole tp protect the barrel surface.

Thanks for the feedback so far guys. A muzzle loader cabinet has been mentioned before but I'm not sure they do one deep enough to accept a scoped rifle.

Regarding cutting a hole in the ammo compartment to allow the barrel to go through, I've always understood that a rifle should not be stored with the barrel up so as to prevent oil etc. running into the action. Is his now defunct?

As hughes- the sinclair (etc) cleaning rod guide has a silicone O ring to prevent solvents leaking back into action/trigger.Add a couple of patches if you are belt and braces type.

In extremis,I've used a bore mop inserted like a cartridge-not all the way-but tie a bit of string to it for easy removal-and reminder that chamber isn't clear! (senior moment shooters ).

There is the possibility of slight seepage,though a couple of dry patches,and bore mop should minimise after cleaning-I have seen a little seepage when leaving some copper solvent for a couple of days-some staining on a dry patch in chamber,though not much-again,make sure you have a reminder that the chamber is obstructed,and needs clearing!

I am surre the vast majority of rifles are stored muzzle up-see almoast every gun shop,or design of cabinet-those for sale might be fairly oil free (should they be?) but I'd imagine very,

very seldom malfunction,because of muzzle up. Ditto most private storage,but it's easy to be sure,as above.

What is an absolute no-no,of course,is to leave a moderator screwed on,especially after a WD spray! That will cause grief from muzzle on down...not an F 'ers issue,though-they wouldn't fit,anyhow!

But good luck in sourcing an extra tall and deep cabinet.

For the unconvinced or adventurous,the Kama Sutra Kabinet Kompany should be able to oblige,the latest models come in 50 shades of grey enamel...

gbal

As per previous comments I cut a hole in my ammo cabinet to take my benchrest/f class rifle as it would not fit and store it barrel up. Filed the jagged edge off and lined the edge to prevent scratches to the barrel.

I leave my boreguide in and put a couple of patches up to prevent leaks. Saved a fortune in having to purchase a larger/heavier cabinet.

I use the Buffalo River safe......

Not small, but you can take all the shelves and ammo boxes out.

I get about 8 guns in it, including an 8" wide Heavy Monster Gun

Cheers

Bruce

I use the Buffalo River safe......

Not small, but you can take all the shelves and ammo boxes out.

I get about 8 guns in it, including an 8" wide Heavy Monster Gun

Cheers

Bruce

Which safe Bruce? I've found them on the 'net...

Hi Mark,

here are the specs, I have the Q5320

Safe Series Model Dimensions(mm) Weight(kg) Door Thickness(mm) Wall Thickness(mm) Gun Capacity Lockable Ammo Store

Digital Line

LCD Series

QN2433S1
1500H×585W×380D
Yes
Q2310S1
1300H×520W×360D
No
Q3415S1
1500H×360W×360D
Yes
Q4310S1
1500H×520W×360D
Yes
Q4320
1500H×520W×360D
Yes
Q4314S1
1500H×540W×440D
Yes
Q4330
1500H×520W×360D
Yes
Q5310S1
1500H×650W×400D
Yes
Q5320
1500H×650W×400D
Yes
Q5330
1500H×650W×400D
Yes
Q5340
1500H×650W×400D
Yes
Q9330
1500H×719W×571D
Yes

Many thanks for all the new ideas for using my existing cabinet, but I think a new cabinet is the way forward.

Bruce, many thanks for the detailed list. Alan, thanks for the info on the Brattonsound MT7. Having looked at all of this on the 'net it seems like the most cost effective option is the MT7.

• 6 months later...

Gents,

just as a thought, has anyone called BS and asked if they would make a taller safe, they appear to manufacture in the UK so it is just a matter of using a longer piece of steel sheet?

Or going to a sheet metal worker and having something made up to the relevent BS?

Just saying?

T

• 2 weeks later...

+1 for the MT9.........I have two, and they each COMFORTABLY hold four 30" barrelled rifles with scopes, ie enough room to get them in and out without bashing the turrets, and I've put a shelf in for other bits and pieces.

Hauptman

Archived