Another DIY cheek piece.

Inspired by a thread I saw here last week I decided to get myself some Kydex and make a cheek piece/comb raiser. The Kydex was very easy to work with and softened nicely in the oven at 200 degrees for 3 mins while the Mrs was out ;) A bit of care drilling the holes and some basic hand work and Im happy with the end result. The cheek piece can be detached in seconds to remove the bolt, the posts are 10mm and are a snug interference fit, I bored the holes in a mill to make sure everything was square but a pillar drill and v blocks would have done. Its not adjustable as I didn't want the holes to break through the top line of the stock so I took a bit of time to play with different height packing until I had what I wanted. The Kydex is then covered in 2mm self adhesive foam which makes for a comfortable and warm cheek weld and also hides the pillar screws. If I find that different shooting positions need varying height then some longer pillars could be made and a couple of small thumb wheels on the back of the top line will secure them.

A nice couple of hours work this afternoon which has made my gun fit so much better.

IMG_0533copy.jpg

The Kydex was formed to replicate the original comb.

IMG_0534.jpg

IMG_0535.jpg

Went through all this myself a year ago. I used isapon, made a cast out of polystyrene put it on the gunstock, some cling filim on the stock first put the cast on and filled it to the top and halfway down my shooting side an just an inch down the backside. Then took it out and sanded it to the hight and shape I wanted. Great job when finished and it is a snug if to the stock. Bit of spray paint and few screws and your dune. I'll sent in a picture later if anybody wants. Used if for a year and saved for a GRS stock, very very good I must say.

• 6 years later...
  • 11 months later...

Here's one I did a few years back.....I shoehorned an old Musgrave barrelled action in 6BR into an Anschutz Match 54 stock, one of the proper walnut type from the 70's. I just made two sawcuts and fitted the centre threaded adjustment screw together with a couple of bits of stainless rod for the guides. All very Heath-Robinson, but it does the job......and achieved with just a Workmate, tenon saw, and a pillar drill.

Pete

Muzz butt.jpg

• 5 months later...