6mm ar for foxing??

visiter1

good thoughts guys, i run a dedicated night vision setup on an AR15 for foxing and it is ideal, most of the time i have one chambered and once the shot has gone off i stick another strait in so they are more concerned about the noise of the shot than cycling a round, if moving between areas where you need the gun clear, it is pos to drop one in by hand and close the bolt rather than cycling it which can be done very quiet if needed,

good thoughts guys, i run a dedicated night vision setup on an AR15 for foxing and it is ideal, most of the time i have one chambered and once the shot has gone off i stick another strait in so they are more concerned about the noise of the shot than cycling a round, if moving between areas where you need the gun clear, it is pos to drop one in by hand and close the bolt rather than cycling it which can be done very quiet if needed,

o thanks for that sounds i deal is yours a .223?

Hi,you have probably sussed it already,but the 6AR cartridge works well in an AR15-clue is in it's name!

It does though need the 6.8rem bolt,not 223,and barrels etc won't be on every shelf in the UK.And you will need manually operated......we're in 243 territory ballistically,though you will lose a bit in a straight pull-still plenty left! Should magazine feed well with the 75g bullets.I'd expect brass to be a real problem-maybe only one US Source,who won't be churning them out....there is even a Turbo improved version,or a 6 Hagar,but they are even more difficult to source.......

Not sure if it's the ideal fox rifle,though it could be quite compact...if rather expensive,bolt noise,and no need at all for big magazine.But then,what is ideal?!

The bottom line is that a 6mm AR 15 is possible. But check component supply,as the 223 seems pretty good ,no fuss, fox cartridge. Your call.

Gbal

Brass is necked down 6.5 Grendal brass so two sources I know of, Lapua (SR Primer) and Privi Partisan (LR Primer) I have both. Reamers are held in the UK both Valkyrie Rifles and Bradley Arms who have both built 6mmARs.

These are mine:

6mmARRem2_zps6e5286f1.jpg

BradleyArms6mmAR008_zps5ae4b21c.jpg

BradleyArms6mmAR009_zps069281d4.jpg

6mmAR004copy_zps2a80b1ff.jpg

Brass is necked down 6.5 Grendal brass so two sources I know of, Lapua (SR Primer) and Privi Partisan (LR Primer) I have both. Reamers are held in the UK both Valkyrie Rifles and Bradley Arms who have both built 6mmARs.

These are mine:

6mmARRem2_zps6e5286f1.jpg

BradleyArms6mmAR008_zps5ae4b21c.jpg

BradleyArms6mmAR009_zps069281d4.jpg

6mmAR004copy_zps2a80b1ff.jpg

John, how does that do on the AR in terms of both accuracy and manual operation (ie bolt stickiness)?

Its accurate but unfortunately you can't the the best out of it in a straight pull as the case start to stick as the velocity goes up, I only ever load 90 grain bullets the 105 and 107 grain bullets are too far in the case for my liking when loading magazine length.

Dave Wylde has had a lot of success with it an at least one competitor is using a 6mmAR in the RBL Match.

Its accurate but unfortunately you can't the the best out of it in a straight pull as the case start to stick as the velocity goes up, I only ever load 90 grain bullets the 105 and 107 grain bullets are too far in the case for my liking when loading magazine length.

Dave Wylde has had a lot of success with it an at least one competitor is using a 6mmAR in the RBL Match.

thanks for the pics and the info ,

some very nice rifles there sir.

I have a shooting buddy that is looking into having a 20 cal AR as he shoots from his veh all the time,

he is not sure on it being a 20 tac or the 204,

he has also looked into a bullpup type rifle so that he can have a longer barrle to maintain velocity and accuracy and still have a custom rifle that shoots well and can be used from the veh with a moderator attached but still short enough to be used from his truck.

RSC

some very nice rifles there sir.

I have a shooting buddy that is looking into having a 20 cal AR as he shoots from his veh all the time,

he is not sure on it being a 20 tac or the 204,

he has also looked into a bullpup type rifle so that he can have a longer barrle to maintain velocity and accuracy and still have a custom rifle that shoots well and can be used from the veh with a moderator attached but still short enough to be used from his truck.

RSC

Well,it's his pet,but if it's from a cab,presumably it's relatively short distance vermin? even at moderate distance-in the terms of the calibres mentioned-barrel length won't make a huge difference to the fox-or the effective ballistics -we are in the ball park of 25 fps per inch,and say 300y?A bull pup would help.Short bolt actions do well too-esp detachable magazine ones,easily loaded in a cab,and are quieter in operation-no bolt clang.

Accuracy should not be compromised at all-though the AR15 is not THE most accurate platform,a well built custom one should be very good (sub moa).Getting it out the window safely is perhaps more important-no place for a 28 plus inch heavy tack driver!

No real need to feel compromised,whatever the choice.

Gbal

My 6mmAr is doing 2750 [ if i remember correctly ] with a 90 grain scenar , but it needs a 24" tube to do this.

I built the gun as an experiment and it works perfectly. Extraction is fine , even when very hot.

I used it a couple of years ago at the Imperial meeting and had a few medals with it.

Its drawback was it was a bigger, longer , heavier platform than a std 223 AR and that cost me a few points.

It has a ballistic advantage at long range, but that is negated by its size in a dynamic shooting discipline.

As a vermin gun shooting heavier v-max I bet it would be quite something.

It feeds perfectly from a std AR Grendel magazine. It also needs a grendel bolt .

Hi,you have probably sussed it already,but the 6AR cartridge works well in an AR15-clue is in it's name!

It does though need the 6.8rem bolt,not 223,and barrels etc won't be on every shelf in the UK.And you will need manually operated......we're in 243 territory ballistically,though you will lose a bit in a straight pull-still plenty left! Should magazine feed well with the 75g bullets.I'd expect brass to be a real problem-maybe only one US Source,who won't be churning them out....there is even a Turbo improved version,or a 6 Hagar,but they are even more difficult to source.......

Not sure if it's the ideal fox rifle,though it could be quite compact...if rather expensive,bolt noise,and no need at all for big magazine.But then,what is ideal?!

The bottom line is that a 6mm AR 15 is possible. But check component supply,as the 223 seems pretty good ,no fuss, fox cartridge. Your call.

Gbal

Not quite.

6mmAR is a necked down 6.5 Grendel, which is based off a PPC case, which is based off .220 Russian and therefore it uses a 7.62x39 (or PPC) sized bolt face (0.440") and not a 6.8SPC one (0.420").

6MM Hagar is based on a 6.8 SPC

Archived