Which Tactical Rifle??

Late

I am wanting to buy a tactical type rifle in 308. Able to pay between 3-4 k ish. What are my best options at this sort of money?
I like the look of styer ssg 08, RPA rangemaster, blaser lrs2, sako trg and of course any of the AI.
So I'm like a kid in a sweet shop really.
Help needed guys

AI all the way. They are all fine rifles in their own way, but I reckon that AI does it better than anyone else. Look at their military sales, where they frequently beat very strong domestic suppliers entirely on merit.

Try lots before you buy as whatever you pick is easy to buy and difficult to sell if you don't like it. Good luck. JCS

That's the thing I did before I decided to buy a Sako TRG 22. The Rifle has to fit you. Try to test some before you make any decision.

For the amount you have available why not go full custom with one of the 'Smiths on this forum and choose exactly the components you want?

Late,

Getting behind each type is important.

As is what do you want it to do for you. You say 308, is this for any particular reason?

Spending that amount of money plus another say £1500 + on suitable scope and mounts, bipod, etc. would suggest that you are going to reload (or should do) so that leads to why 308.

Why not say a .260 or 6.5x47, better cartridge than the 308. Nothing wrong with the 308 but why start your race 3 furlongs behind the other horses? ;)

Just saying.

Personally as you are only looking at a factory rifle AI or TRG followed by none of the others for various reasons.

Terry

AI,

having decided to keep my new AW,in 6.5x47 and now run the thing in as to AI's recommendations , the thing is a absolute hammer!!!

its without doubt the nicest and easiest rifle to shot well with ive ever owned

the 308 AI was a very nice rifle, but in 6.5 its bloody amazing!!!! with the brake or mod on seeing your shot fall is a doddle.

Go for a AT with a 308 and a 6.5 either a 47 of a 260 and you wont be dissapointed

you wont buy better for the money...............

If you've deeper pockets an AXMC or a DTA,both epic bits of kit.

Late

A location on your profile might help a bit? I've found the guys on here very helpful, but some hint as to whether you are near Diggle, Bisley or wherever might get you looking at some impressive kit?

If you review the RRC posts, you can see some superb kit in action.

Regards

JCS

Late,

Or you could do it by analysis?

Here is synopsis or various components used in the American PRS of competitions which are truly 'tacticool' in nature :)

http://www.sniperforums.com/forum/rifles/44823-precision-rifle-gear-pros-use-updated-data.html

Note the distribution of caliber and cartridges etc. if you go to his blogs there is a shed load of other interesting data.

Interesting reading

Very tempted by shooter79 rig.

I'm based in surrey so Bisley is my local. I am newish to the target shooting world so still very green. I say 308 as seems a bit of an all round calibre and ammo can be acquired reasonably cheaply and I have a slot open for 308. I do not reload at the mo but is on this list soon. It will be used only for target shooting really.

The blaser lrs2 has caught my eye as I do have land which is cleared for up to 223 so if had both barrels I could use it at home as well.

I have a sako quad and love so it makes think the TRG could be for me, but have used the AI AE a few times and really liked it.

Thanks for advice so far guys.

What sort money are the DTAs anyone, do you need a mortgage on them ?

What is the end use ?

Targetry on ranges?

Stalking where things get dirty and wet?

Competition - where things can break?

Ive owned or used most tactical rifles :

AI AW, AI AX

Blaser LRS 2

Brugger Thomet APR

DTA

Steyr

Sako TRG

Ive also used my own custom rifles at various tactical comps in europe

IMHO, you need to decide end use.

The Blaser is nice , but it doesnt do dirty and wet - without TLC. The mags are crap as well

The TRG - well its great untill the trigger get dirty

B&T - fine rifle but damn heavy

Steyr - lovely, but try finding one

DTA - lovely ,,, but that flipping magazine.....

AI - perfect for all uses.

I had an AW

I now own an AX - I wont be changing it

Customs - yup they work too - so long as theyre made properly to suit your needs, no jewel triggers for dusty work,,,,,no super tight headspaces, make sure the mag feeds perfectly, dont get anything with mechanical ejection (relying on you to cycle the bolt fully) coz i'll bet you under stress you wont cycle fully and youll have a failed ejection......J

Just my own view - better to sit behind a few rifles then narrow down your choices and take time to decide whats best for your application.

Ive been all around the houses and returned to the AI fold, nothing better in my view

For me it's either A Sako TRG or AI AW because I have both :D. Google AI versus AW and you'll find some interesting and objective reports.

I can only speak from my own experience so please take it 'one person's view' but others will have a likewise comparison.

The TRG is more comfortable to shoot. The adjustable butt plate is better than the AW one. The TRG trigger is nothing short of amazing. It is crisp and very positive, whereas the AW trigger is very military. Both rifles are built like a tank but the AW has the edge on this. The TRG action is bomb proof but the AW action is 'atomic' bomb proof. It looks, feels and handles like it will take any load you can throw at it. Having said that, the TRG action is the smoother of the two.

Both rifles are capable of incredible accuracy straight out of the box if you do your bit. In my experience there is no difference between them so far. However, for some reason I've yet to fathom, the AW gives higher MVs for the same loads.

Laurie Holland has given me a plausible explanation but that is beside the point when it comes to helping you choose your new toy.

The TRG muzzle brake is about as good as it gets. Several people who have shot next to me have had to had new dentures fitted because of the back blast.......................

Take the advise given in previous posts and ask to shoot a few rifles. You'll be surprised at the amount of shooters who will bend over backwards to help you make the right choice.

The advice you will get is similar to the 1990's song 'Wear Sunscreen' but whatever you do take your time to make the right choice because disposing of the wrong one is pain in the arse.

Get a AI , AW or AT or AX , and be done , the simple answer to your qusetion is Accuracy International .

I have used and own a few tac type rifles in 308 , custom to factory , Sako, AI , Steyr , Parker Hale , Rem700s , Badger & Surgeon actioned rifles etc .

In short If you want the best 308 sniper rifle thats uses a 10rd mag , the only one to get is the AI AW/AT/AX , its got a very good/action magazine design , that very smooth & reliable .

The Sako TRG series I like in 338LM , more than the 308 offering , the 308 TRG21/22 series , use a single feed/ double stack mag , not the easiest to load, and a mag that I have had trouble with more than once .

Also spare mags for the AW are much cheaper ( you can buy more ) , than the Sako series that wnat gold dust for .

Also , IF you spec out the Sako , with the same features , ie folding stock , scope mount etc , etc , then the price between the two shrinks to almost nothing .

Its only the std Sako rifle , with no spare mags & no scope mounts thats much cheaper than a AI , and in reality , you need a scope mount & with a 308 thats going to get shoot a lot , also need several spare mags .

Later Chris

I think the playing field has changed between the TRG and AI; when Jordanian contract TRGs were floating about and the only option was AW; the prices were miles apart and the cheap Jordanian TRGs were a no-brainer; wish I'd bought one to have in the cupboard.

Now we're back to 'normal' TRG pricing (and the hidden extras as outlined by ChrisF) and a re-priced AT (that is actually an AW+) -well, the AT has become the no-brainer.

I've a lot of time on AWs; but I'd agree that the TRG is a much 'comfier' rifle to use - the folder excepted. In the non-folder, it has one of the ergonomically best stocks you can ever hold. It's also a bit lighter....that's about it in terms of 'better than' AIs.

The triggers, properly set, are no different in feel - both pretty much perfect, but the TRG trigger has a reputation for locking solid, the AI does not.

Weather resistance: The TRG black barrel finish rusts. The AI finish does not.

Stocks: Speak to heavy professional users of the TRG and they will report stock breakages behind the trigger/tang in 'normal' rough use. I've never heard of an AI stock breakage in normal rough use - nothing at all, less for an armoured vehicle and a rifle lying in a muddy field.

Spares/repair - AI are in Portsmouth; for Sako you have to go through a the 'filter' of an importer with zero product knowledge, and work to their whimsical shipping timeline.

And finally, happily, best of breed is also BRITISH.

I think the AT is today's no-brainer.

Any reason not the AE??

The new switch barrel of the AT aside, there are very few real world differences between the AE and the AW. The barrels, bolts, safetys, triggers and accuracy are the same

1. The action is bonded to the stock on the AW, it is fixed with 2 sizeable screws on the AE. The wont cause you a problem unless you mess up your HALO jump from the boot of your car to the bisly car park!
  2. The rail on the AW is machined, on the AE its separate and fixed with 4 screws. I had mine bedded with devcon for a 100% fit, the factory rail only has 2 contact point with the action along its sides, the devcon bedding(not bonding) gives a much better/stronger fit but still allows removal.
  3. The magazines, the AW ones are double stack and allow top loading through the port with the mag in place, the AE mags are single stack and you have to remove the mag to load it, although you can single feed through the port. Both types of magazines feed 100% reliably, the AE ones are cheaper.

A good condition second hand AE is still considerably cheaper than a new AT, which gives more scope budget and accuracy will be the same. I shot mine at diggle in the egg shoot last year and beat AW’s and full fclass race guns on front rests etc.

Another benefit over the trg is the availability of different coulour stock sides for little money, either AI or viperskins, a couler change or tart up cost about £80.

The choice is yours, mine is for sale (at a very good price…..)

When i got my Trg I found if you adjust the trigger to far you can lock it which is more user error in my opinion but all you have to do is back the screws off a little and you are good to go again,thats what i found with my rife anyway. my trigger is crisp and light and as i have said before i have had no problems with it at all.

I havent had any rust issues but the offical sako bipods feet will rub against the barrel and cause wear which if your a profectionist like me will piss you off.

Im not sure how people can break the stocks on the TRG unless they are caber tossing them around the range or doing tacticool operator crap at the end of the day its a sniper rifle not a log treat it with respect and look after it they dont just break for no reason. You will get people on both sides of the fence telling you why each one is better than the other each gun has positives and negitives but either guns will perform exceptionally well its just down to what you prefare yourself.

Anyway here is a link you may find an interesting read.

http://forum.snipershide.com/snipers-hide-bolt-action-rifles/175801-accuracy-international-aiaw-vs-sako-trg-22-my-experience-both.html

Archived