Which Tactical Rifle??

Late

Very tempted by shooter79 rig.

I'm based in surrey so Bisley is my local. I am newish to the target shooting world so still very green. I say 308 as seems a bit of an all round calibre and ammo can be acquired reasonably cheaply and I have a slot open for 308. I do not reload at the mo but is on this list soon. It will be used only for target shooting really.

The blaser lrs2 has caught my eye as I do have land which is cleared for up to 223 so if had both barrels I could use it at home as well.

I have a sako quad and love so it makes think the TRG could be for me, but have used the AI AE a few times and really liked it.

Thanks for advice so far guys.

What sort money are the DTAs anyone, do you need a mortgage on them ?

You will quickly move on from factory ammo once you get more into it and search for those tighter groups, most people do.

You will also want to improve the calibre you shoot as well but not as quickly as you will start home loads.

Given your budget I would be looking at a new AI AT with a folding stock in .308 which would also give you the option of a 6.5mm further down the line when you fancy a change.

Possibly look to see if the land could be cleared for a 22/250 and get a spare barrel, not sure if that is possible regarding getting it cleared as I only shoot paper.

Keep an eye on resale as well as a previously said rifles are easy to buy and difficult to sell depending on model.

Essentially what Ronin (and many others) have said: AI Period.

If you ever go to a 6.5 short action cartridge (.260Rem, 6.5Lapua, 6.5 Creedmoor), you will never go back to .308. The 6.5 cartridges' ability to buck wind at long range will blow your mind. When .308s are doping wind, 6.5's are holding on the edge of the targets and still making hits.

For target/competition work, it is crazy to me why one wouldn't move to a 6.5 short action cartridge...

Archived