Slip-on S&B 5-25 long rainshade

brown dog

S&B 5-25 has OD of 62mm:

Just thinking through post-Bodmin (biblical rain!) options; could get 3 slip-on long covers out of one piece of this sort of thing:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aluminium-Tube-2-1-2-65mm-dia-x-16swg-995mm-Long-/280583776298?pt=UK_BOI_Metalworking_Milling_Welding_Metalworking_Supplies_ET&hash=item415418a82a

Thoughts?

Years ago, some Bench Rest shooters were using long translucent plastic tubes that screwed into the front of their scopes-typically Leupolds- though more for mirage,as the roof keeps most of the rain off ! But they did let plenty light through,and might be made robust enough for torrential rain,and were very light...in an emergency,a plastic bottle might just help!

F class must suffer too.

Gbal

Makes not much difference in F Class - we still get wet!

Bikini covers are best at keeping rain out and a towel over action and scope to keep main rain off the chamber - though it still gets in….

There could be a market for the mini umbrellas mounted to the scope turrets like you see on the funny caps...

Long tube works brilliantly - I had a 20cm plastic packaging tube stuck on my scope from the outset (unusually for me, 7Ps) and my objective got barely a hint of precipitation on it.

Odd to see the 'see-through lets light in' comment - someone said that on the day - if a scope were to take in light from any direction other than that at which it's pointed, it would be non-functional (or need renaming as a periscope!).

Long tube works brilliantly - I had a 20cm plastic packaging tube stuck on my scope from the outset (unusually for me, 7Ps) and my objective got barely a hint of precipitation on it.

Odd to see the 'see through lets light in' comment - someone said that on the day - if a scope were to take in light from any direction other than that at which it's pointed, it would be non-functional (or need renaming as a periscope!).

Matt,as I read my comment,the word used is translucent,not transparent,so the only 'see through' option is along the axis of the scope...

I will risk another mistake and suggest the off white colour of the translucent tube was to reduce heat effects,with minimal black metal weight,more than illuminate.(cf the much shorter metal sun shades-with overhead sun,)

But serendipitously,given the biblical/Noah conditions,perhaps the 'periscope' allusion was not completely inappropriate.:-)

We seem to agree on the basic principle,and that it does not require german engineering to get a workable Mark 1 solution.

Andy-does wet actions/barrel-inside- not also raise issues of pressure-though I have heard that the F class rules proscribe most effective rain guards?So it's chamois leather/old towel,perhaps with plastic on one side,but hardly an elegant,or convincing solution.

As for the human element in such elements,the wet suit turned water intrusion into a virtue,but I can't see neoprene jump suit undies catching on,any monsoon soon.

Gbal

I was also pondering, post-roundhouse.

I wonder if one of these "tacticool" honeycomb-type flash defracter thingies on the end of a conventional sun-shade tube would have helped?

If I can get one, might try it.

The sniper bivis work for prone shooters, as you can set up with just the barrel exiting through a very narrow slit with your objective just poking out, the rest of your kit and you are nice and dry inside the gas permeable gortex.

For those who shoot on the move in heavy weather, the modified poncho is hard to beat, basically a poncho with an integral one size fits all scope cover and a popper opening for where your barrel exits, everything is dry under the poncho, job done.

long translucent tube (length to suit you) glued to a threaded sunshade so it's quickly mountable etc then a heavy waterproof tarp to lay over your shoulders that goes far enough over to cover the scope and as long as it doesn't drape over the end of your tube you'll be fine.

I have a long detachable tube made from a length of plastic piping which is about 12" long, which I use in poor weather on my scope for F Class - it works to a degree, but if the winds blowing, water still gets to the objective.

Theres no practical solution for the ocular other than tissue.

Water ingress to the action - many of the guys have made up a sheet of flexible plastic sheet that attaches to the stock and drapes over the action allowing bolt to be cycled and providing weather protection.

The sheet needs to be stiff enough to not fold, long enough to protect the load port and light enough not to make the rifle over weight.

They are ungainly and ugly, but effective in all but horizontal rain.

I use a piece of underlay - laminate underlay which works ok.

Not practical at all for the tactical shooter though on comps where your moving between points or moving into a target - timed etc..

If the weather is so bad and ingress is a significant issue affecting chamber pressure / safety - the shooting should stop until weather abates.

Please don't anyone read that as a criticism of any recent activity here.

Despite the rain on Saturday I had no over pressure issues with the 6XC, however, Ronin is quite correct that if in doubt or at the first signs of pressure increasing it's time to stop and think hard about continuing.

light travels in straight lines. With a translucent/clear rain tube surely light enters the tube and is reflected into the lens and helps brighten the image?

Best thing I can think of with regard to keeping water out of the action is a cover along the lines of the Tab rifle cover?

light travels in straight lines. With a translucent/clear rain tube surely light enters the tube and is reflected into the lens and helps brighten the image?

No. The purpose of a sunshade is to reduce light other than that reflected from the image area thereby reducing random light from bouncing around within the lens groups causing milkiness and a degradation of the image.

So the longer (and more opaque) the tube, the less the viewed image will be degraded by stray light.

Rup

Archived