22.250 needs a new barrel, calibre suguestions?

Hi all , been thinking of getting my 22.250 re barrelled , it is used for vermin bashing and steel target work. Range is about 450 m at the moment but I would like to push out a lot more any ideas would be great .

thanks.

22-250 AI with 75g amax works well in excess of 450,,,,,

Hi all , been thinking of getting my 22.250 re barrelled , it is used for vermin bashing and steel target work. Range is about 450 m at the moment but I would like to push out a lot more any ideas would be great .

thanks.

Sorry mate but I agree with Ronin, you're not out of second gear with that cartridge yet. I do a more than that with a lowly 223 using 70gn Berger's

Get it re-barrelled and let it off the leash, you'll be very happy.

ATB

whats the recoil like compared to a 243 ?

Relative recoil factors are:

308 1.95

260 1.73

243 1.25

22/250 0.9

Of course rifle weight comes in-custom rifles often heavier etc.

The 6BR is below the 243,but efficient enough to outperform it.

Gbal

If the rifles used for vermin,,id still stick with my original suggestion of either standard 22-250 or the AI version.

From personal experience, I have had extremely pleasing results with the AI version, using 75g A max, connecting with clay sized targets beyond 600 mfrs is relatively easy in the right conditions.

The calibre (for me) it has been silly accurate, easy to reload and as I'm now 8 yrs into using mine on the same barrel, I think its pretty easy of wear, though I do not stoke it to maximum capacity.

Little or no recoil in a standard Tikka 595 action, Mcmillan Sako stock and medium weight barrel.

It doesn't feed from the mag every time, but if I'm doing that kind of target, reloading isn't an issue as time isn't of the essence….

I wouldn't waste your time doing the Ackley just the normal 22-250 as the gains are not worth the fire forming and you have the dies etc ready to go . 1 in 8 twist and the 75g A-max's and your ready to roll .

OSOK

I'm going to jump in on this...I shoot 22-250, in a 1:14 twist barrel shooting SBK 55gr using 36gr R15. Shoots a dream, I have a steel target I shot at 480yrds good conditions (memory serves correct a reasonable 5-6mph crossing wind), held a 4.5" group. If I were going to recommend deffo go for a faster twist rate, shoot heavier loads you should see 650-700meters without to much hassle.

Ronin knows his stuff and agree with him, the AI would be fun, but if you homeland and have dies etc already then go for standard.

All the best,

CZV

Thanks for the info / ideas so far , lets talk wind drift whats better small and fast or big and slow ?

even the 75 amax out of fast twist 22/250 dont hold back mate use to get over 3300fps out of his with 24inch barrel

Thanks for the info / ideas so far , lets talk wind drift whats better small and fast or big and slow ?

Perhaps the wrong parameters-and if you add ''drop'' even more so.....

BC and velocity......but in most cartridges/calibre the trade off is rather variable-just look at almost any viable 300+ cartridge and see if heavier bullets do better...eg 223 55g@3240 drop drift at 300 7/11,with 69g 8/9;77 8.5/8.5

243 at 400y 55@3900 13/15,85@3300 18/15.6;100@2960 20/12.5 With heavier bullets,308 500y 155@2900 48/23,175@2600 52/21,185@2475 62/27.......

You need to be quite specific-which cartridge,which bullet,which distance? And how much difference matters?And also "over what useable range".Because BC can vary so much even with the same bullet weight/velocity,no doubt one could select genuine data to give limited,non general support to competing ideas.But within a calibre,higher BC and velocity generally win out,maybe not by much ,at shorter distances. At 1000y,and even 600y,it's pretty clear that some combinations are superior,if you add in sheer shootability-and they are the hot 6.5 and 7mm high BC numbers,both by the maths and the competition results.

Gbal

Gbal

Lots of folk shoot heavy bullet 223 at 1000 so standard case 22/250 with an appropriate twist rate would do fine without feeding issues associated with the sharp shoulder. 6.5x47 would give more flexibility and also feed well. Worth considering bullet supply issues as it's no good if you can't get hold of the 75g Amax if that's all your rifle will shoot

.260 rem will do everything in the UK re stalking , varminting or steels . Stonkingly accurate in all bullet weights from 100 - 142 gr and still supersonic at 1000yds .

Gentle recoil , long case life , long barrel life .What more can a boy want ? Brass is easy to find , bullets galore economic with a wide variety of powders , Varget ,N140 et al . Of Course I'm a bit biased - I've got one - I rebarrelled mine from a shot out 22-250 using a 1 in 8 twist bbl from Armalon , I am very well pleased .

:)

.260 rem will do everything in the UK re stalking , varminting or steels . Stonkingly accurate in all bullet weights from 100 - 142 gr and still supersonic at 1000yds .

Gentle recoil , long case life , long barrel life .What more can a boy want ? Brass is easy to find , bullets galore economic with a wide variety of powders , Varget ,N140 et al . Of Course I'm a bit biased - I've got one - I rebarrelled mine from a shot out 22-250 using a 1 in 8 twist bbl from Armalon , I am very well pleased .

+1 on Marty's summary-260 rem has been a bit under promoted and a bit overshadowed by the fashionable-and very competent-6.5x47,an essentially custom number,but there isn't much in it,and 260 is available in some decent factory rifles.

Neither though are really top choices for 1000y precision(sub moa),but considerably more economical than the hot 6.5/7mms,and a great tactical type round feeding easily. Another great 6.5-it's a long and distinguished heritage!What's not to like-a lot!

Gbal

REMEMBER HORNADY have suspended 150 bullet types in most calibers ! including ALL the . 224 Amax range - 52g 75g 80g soo don't go thinking oh ill be able to get em , because chances are you won't , i personally struggle to get them 75 Amax a while back now . AND i know "gaz6br" is probably loosing the will to live trying to find 52 Amax ! If for varmint purposes , id go 6mm , i run 17hmr 223 ack and building a .20 prac now, but next1 later in year will be a 6mm for long-distance varmint and some steel work :) cheers

:)

Indeed it does. You could buy the one below.....Regards JCS

.22 B/R with 75gr Amax will do job or 53gr Vmax ouch !!

I wound say the same Glen, down fall is getting it to take a mag and cycling nicely, my Sako .22br is OK but you can't rush it if you know what I mean :)

I know what your going to say Glen , you only need the one shot :P

Lots of folk shoot heavy bullet 223 at 1000 so standard case 22/250 with an appropriate twist rate would do fine without feeding issues associated with the sharp shoulder. 6.5x47 would give more flexibility and also feed well. Worth considering bullet supply issues as it's no good if you can't get hold of the 75g Amax if that's all your rifle will shoot

I wonder if "lots of people" using a 223 at 1000 yards would improve their scores with another cartridge?

What sort of performance might we expect with the 223,typically ? Perhaps not quite 1/2 moa,as with the current best performing hot 7mms,but what ball park would we be in?

Gbal

Archived