Help to stiffen my stock to improve accuracy?

Hi all
Here are some pics of my stock on my howa rifle, its a hogue rubber over moulded stock.
The grip is great but the fore end of the stock flexes quiet a lot and its only pillar bedded and there is loads of gap behind the recoil lug on the action, so what I was going to do was to try and bed it properly where the lug is but am unsure as to the best thing to use? and if you look at the pics you will see the cross sections In the bottom of the stock from the factory which are supposed to give it some rigidity which they don't!
they are way below the free floating barrel so I was thinking of filling the bottom of the stock with some sort of bedding to fill the bottom and leak over each rib so it connects them all together and give it some strength
and make it more rigid, so what would you suggest to use to fill the bottom of the stock? I was going to use some Milliput Standard Yellow-Grey 4 oz Two Part Epoxy Putty to bed the recoil lug and its not practical to use it for the rest of the stock, one option was to use some resin as it will find its own level and should set hard enough to stiffen the stock.
any ideas would be very welcome smiley.gif

Howastock1.jpg

Howastock2.jpg

Howastock.jpg

Thanks

Rick

Best advice would be to save money for a good stock. Second best would be to find a laminated or wooden stock and pillar bed.

Worst advice would be to stiffen up the plastic stock.

If you decide to stiffen up the stock I think the best way of doing it would be by reinforcing the forend and bedding in the same go. To stiffen up a forend and not add huge weight one is best off to create a sandwich construction forend using glass or carbon fibres. Would be the best to run the reinforcing fibres under the bedding.

Not exactly the same, however a thread I put up about a timber stock that I did a while back and materials used.

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php/1110-Ruger-bedding-job?highlight=ruger+bedding

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php/1019-Epoxy-for-bedding-or-repair?highlight=ruger+bedding

edi

Hi edi

I was going to get a laminate thumbhole from howa see pic

Howathumbholevarmintstock.jpg

But when I e-mailed howa they replied saying this particular stock has been discontinued!

so iv been looking for a second hand one with no luck so the next option was as first post.

Rick

the howa is a good rifle generally let down by poor standard stocks , a friend has one which has been pillar bedded into a McMillan and it's a cracking bit of kit now !

I'd look to replace the stock in your situation.

Hi tackb

The rifle is a good shooter already but to get the full potential I will need to do some thing with the stock as it crap!

That is my second option if I cant stiffen it up is to look at a new stock, short on pennies at the mo which is why I

was going to try this first.

Rick

I had a Hogue stock on my Howa and it was terrible.

I ended up getting a Bell and Carlson one for it which improved it no end.

It's now been rebarreled and had a full bedding job done by Dave and it shoots better than any rifle I have ever owned.

Hi

Good idea :) I never thought about asking builder if they have one better than mine.

Akeld, I don't like that type of thumbhole! I prefer the thumbhole stock like the pic I posted.

I will have to look at bell and carlson and see if I like them.

edi, thanks for the heads up :) will it fit the howa action? I will pm him for price/pics

Thanks

Rick

l

lol that's ok :D

Crumbs why dont you two get a room ! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

From what iv been looking at I can do similar to my stock with a resin based bedding to fill all the space in the bottom

of the stock to just over the sections and once cured should be as good as yours :) im going to bed the recoil lug first

so should be perfect for now.

• 2 months later...

You can stiffen the stock with carbon arrow shafts and epoxy, and also shave a bit off the top fore end to reduce the chances of contact with the barrel, but I gave up on both my Hogue stocks in the end and fitted Axiom stocks. I gained a significant improvement in accuracy with both rifles (223 and 308), with carefully developed loads the 223 went from 5/8" to 3/8" 5 shot groups and the 308 from 7/8" to just under 1/2". I know you're trying to avoid spending the wonga and a bit of stiffening and bedding won't hurt for now, but long term I'd highly reccomend the comfort and adjustability the Axiom brings for a reasonable cost, and of course there's no worries about rain, humidity and general care that a decent wooden stock will bring.

ricky - basically, you have a plastic washing-up bowl which just happens to be shaped like a stock.

Ringing round gun-builders to see what they have in their scrap-bin is a good idea but it will inevitably need work to get it to fit your action.

Joe West (dorg on this forum) can sell you a new stock inletted for a Howa. It might cost a few £££ more but it will be the best you can get.

Tisme has a Howa in a laminate stock that works pretty well - maybe he will comment.

I haven't got any Howa stocks, though I've built plenty of accurate rifles using PSE composites (Edi) on the forums products.

Like others have said Joe West also make good laminate products for the Howa.

Bin the stock, save your money and buy a decent good quality product ……..

Archived