Most favoured Optics for CSR?

DaveT

Awaiting 223 variation to join in CSR (nothing else in my collection suitable as yet!....Should never have gone on CSR course at Bisley!) and very interested in what optics (Brand / mag range etc) people find best for the Practical optic class and Service Optic class. Any specific reasons included please.

ta much.

If you can afford it for Service Optic Class S&B 1.1-4x20 Short-Dot or March 1-10x24, both crystal clear and compact. If you want to spend less try the Vortex Range of compact scopes.

For Practical Optic any good quality 3-12 range scope, bigger is not needed and just adds weight.

I use the nxs 2.5 - 10 x 32 Dave. It has a mildot ret and once the windage limiter is filed off the drum, this scope is perfect for service optic. Its very light, very clear, and repeats like all nxs,s do....perfectly.

Makes me shudder taking a file to a scope, but if it works why not I suppose. Compact Nightforce scopes are good.

If shooting Service Optic the mag limit is x4.5, rules have recently changed to require the scope to be set at no more than x4.5 and left there for all sighters and observations, you may not turn your scope up above x4.5 to observe spotting disks.

I currently use a March 1-10x24 with MTR-4 ret, I also have a Short-Dot which has recently had its ret changed to a A1 post.

Get along to a match and ask for a peek through the scopes in use before deciding on what to get.

Its nothing on the nxs John. There is a tiny tooth on the edge of the windage drum itself. Simple job to pop the drum off and take the tiny tooth off. This then enables the drum to fully rotate, without the tooth hitting a stop in the windage drum track. It would be a simple matter to get another drum if it needed to go back to std spec. No mods done to the scope itself. Dont know why NF thought there would be a need for a windage adjustment limiter.

Annoyingly enough I have a 'spare' 3-12 x 50 Schmidt but its a hunting scope (zenith) so the turrets are not marked......might try it first though to see if I think the size / weight are OK.

Annoyingly enough I have a 'spare' 3-12 x 50 Schmidt but its a hunting scope (zenith) so the turrets are not marked......might try it first though to see if I think the size / weight are OK.

Get the gun first ;)

If it's got a 34mm tube you can start the adventure of finding a suitable mount!

I aint in it to win just have a good time .But that said i can still out shoot some big mag turret twiddeler types

I'd say that most people who've had an ACOG type sight reach their limitations and eventually move on to something with turrets

John,

You had a play with the March 1-8 FFP, how did it 'look' at 4.5 and against the CRS type targets if you don't mind me asking?

Concur with the concept of 'fiddling', if a bit of kit is not quite what you need but pretty close, have at it! :)

Terry

I fancy one of these for my build http://www.leupold.com/tactical/scopes/mark-ar-riflescopes/mark-ar-mod-1-1-5-4x20mm/

With the SPR ret they seem to get favourable reviews and are not too expensive, though I'm planning to sport mine with irons for a while first, I have a set of Daniel defence adjustable irons sight and a i reckon on one of mr Bradley's 15" hand guards will be quite a nice base line.

John,

You had a play with the March 1-8 FFP, how did it 'look' at 4.5 and against the CRS type targets if you don't mind me asking?

Concur with the concept of 'fiddling', if a bit of kit is not quite what you need but pretty close, have at it! :)

Terry

Optics were very good but for me the ret was too busy. Despite some initial reservations the MTR-4 works well for me.

I fancy one of these for my build http://www.leupold.com/tactical/scopes/mark-ar-riflescopes/mark-ar-mod-1-1-5-4x20mm/

With the SPR ret they seem to get favourable reviews and are not too expensive, though I'm planning to sport mine with irons for a while first, I have a set of Daniel defence adjustable irons sight and a i reckon on one of mr Bradley's 15" hand guards will be quite a nice base line.

:D

IOR do a range of tactical or AR friendly optics .I use a 1-10 x26 the ret is busy but I don't notice, just put the centre dot where you want,concentrate on that .seems to work, I do ok. the glass is clear and schott I think, I have three IOR's and don't notice much difference on schmidts etc and they are much less money.

I shoot a March 1 - 10 on my .223 and a S&B ShortDot on the .300 Whisper.

Bottom line here is that you get what you pay for. Decide which class you want to shoot, set a budget then go spend it all on a scope, not forgetting a decent mount. :ph34r:

I do have a 4-16 PM II Schmidt but isn't it a bit over the top size-wise for CSR?....I am looking to buy an AR.

Archived