which 6mm ?

dylan5588

Hi all, some practical advice please, I am considering a rifle chambered in 6mm, mainly for fox work in my role as a pest controller, but also the occasional deer, It would be shooting around 5 to 6 hundred rounds per year, so wear is an issue, I have been researching and the 6mm slr looks to fit the bill for what I am looking for, does this round with the sharper shoulder angle and longer neck, really address the throat erosion problems associated with the .243, I also understand brass is relatively easy to form, using .243 cases run through a 6mm slr sizing die, am I correct? I do reload, but need to keep the process simple as possible. I would appreciate any first hand knowledge of this and other suitable 6mm rounds for my needs.

regards Adrian

The cases are definitely easy to form provided you use Winchester or Remington brass...but I cannot answer the question about throat erosion...only that it is 'reckoned' to be easier on throats.

Its accuracy is fine for me.

I've looked at the 6mm question too and taken some advice from some experienced folk on here. 6xc would be my pick for std brass using a large primers. 6 x 47 L would be my pick for using with a quality action and small primers. I've also owned a 243 Ackley and a number (3 at least) std 243 Win rifles.

There isn't a right answer, but there will be an answer for you. It's really a question of setting your own criteria and scoring each of the many 6mm options against it. 6mm Rem is another option, but your budget, desire to reload or not, etc will drive your decision.

It's certainly fun contemplating what to do, the hard part is making a decision and then waiting while the work gets done.

Good luck.

JCS

i have one here if you want to look at one when you come over

Thanks Mark, I will take you up on that, and many thanks to all on here who have helped me, a novice, with several queries since I joined,

Regards Adrian

Hi all, some practical advice please, I am considering a rifle chambered in 6mm, mainly for fox work in my role as a pest controller, but also the occasional deer, It would be shooting around 5 to 6 hundred rounds per year, so wear is an issue, I have been researching and the 6mm slr looks to fit the bill for what I am looking for, does this round with the sharper shoulder angle and longer neck, really address the throat erosion problems associated with the .243, I also understand brass is relatively easy to form, using .243 cases run through a 6mm slr sizing die, am I correct? I do reload, but need to keep the process simple as possible. I would appreciate any first hand knowledge of this and other suitable 6mm rounds for my needs.

regards Adrian

I think JCS puts it very well,it's fun looking at the options-no shortage of competent 6mms.But if your use is as a working tool for fox control,maybe a factory rifle in good old 243w is the practical option.A quick look at the Accurate Shooter website will show that it gives away nothing in relevant performance,until you get out to 750y etc...does that matter?Obviously about as simple to reload as it gets,too.

None of the alternatives has a proven record of substantially increased barrel life-powder/bore size is the main issue,and the contenders aren't much different-and in fact the temptation to overstoke them probably removes any small potential advantage....you pays your money and........I've had 243,6BR,6PPC.....I know which one would be my 'go to' cartridge for the uses you state.

Gbal

I think JCS puts it very well,it's fun looking at the options-no shortage of competent 6mms.But if your use is as a working tool for fox control,maybe a factory rifle in good old 243w is the practical option.A quick look at the Accurate Shooter website will show that it gives away nothing in relevant performance,until you get out to 750y etc...does that matter?Obviously about as simple to reload as it gets,too.

None of the alternatives has a proven record of substantially increased barrel life-powder/bore size is the main issue,and the contenders aren't much different-and in fact the temptation to overstoke them probably removes any small potential advantage....you pays your money and........I've had 243,6BR,6PPC.....I know which one would be my 'go to' cartridge for the uses you state.

Gbal

My only concern with the .243 is barrel wear, considering the amount of rounds the rifle will be getting through, I know it is a reliable competent cartridge, I have also considered the .243 AI, not much difference performance wise, I must say this and it might sound silly, but I do like a traditional looking cartridge, Not keen on the short stubby 6mm br etc. I know my choice will be either .243 .243 AI or 6mm slr, I suppose being realistic, I could buy 2 good factory .243s for the price of one "built 6mm slr, so that would even out any gains in barrel wear, OOOOOOOOH Decisions, Decisions!!

I might be wrong here but I think that the good barrel life of the 6 SLR is mainly attributed to powder choice, H1000. The length of the neck and shoulder angle may help a little bit but as I found out with my 6mm Crusader it won't make a huge difference.

I might be wrong here but I think that the good barrel life of the 6 SLR is mainly attributed to powder choice, H1000. The length of the neck and shoulder angle may help a little bit but as I found out with my 6mm Crusader it won't make a huge difference.

I think as it will be a work tool, I will have to take a practical approach and consider the options that way, and the .243 or .243AI are looking the strongest contenders, It is a nice thought to have a custom rifle but I don't think the benefits would outweigh the extra cost, Unless Baldie has one of his nice fatboys in 6mm that he would let me have for a couple of hundred quid!!!!!!!! Well you never know he may feel sorry for me!!!

Thanks everyone Aj

The slr will indeed have a better throat/barrel life than a std 243. Its shoulder angle and long neck keep the powder's turbulence point inside the neck.

Consider this also. You will have to buy either custom redding dies from the states , or have the gunsmith make custom reamers. I,ve had to do this for customers in past. There aren't any off the shelf.

In real world terms for what you want to do ?

Get a rem .243 with its 1 in 9 1/8" twist barrel. It will shoot light and heavy bullets.

You wont be taking shots past 500 yards , so why go to the expense and trouble of a wildcat ?

The slr will indeed have a better throat/barrel life than a std 243. Its shoulder angle and long neck keep the powder's turbulence point inside the neck.

Consider this also. You will have to buy either custom redding dies from the states , or have the gunsmith make custom reamers. I,ve had to do this for customers in past. There aren't any off the shelf.

In real world terms for what you want to do ?

Get a rem .243 with its 1 in 9 1/8" twist barrel. It will shoot light and heavy bullets.

You wont be taking shots past 500 yards , so why go to the expense and trouble of a wildcat ?

It is looking likely that .243 will be my choice, a couple of people have suggested the Remmy, but why not a Howa, or Tikka? Both good out of the box shooters, and the Tikka comes in a short action, the Remmy only long, am I correct?

It is looking likely that .243 will be my choice, a couple of people have suggested the Remmy, but why not a Howa, or Tikka? Both good out of the box shooters, and the Tikka comes in a short action, the Remmy only long, am I correct?

wrong way round , the tikkas come long action now and the remmy is short action for short action rounds long for long.

Remington come in short action for 243 (long action for others,like 30-06 etc);the current Tikkas are all the same (long) action,with different mags. I would not let that worry you ,either way.Choose the rifle that fits your needs and you,bearing in mind the different model specs within a brand too-eg a Rem 7 is quite a different proposition from a Rem700 varmint;ditto T3 lite/varmint.Each is more suited to some uses-eg weight/portability/compactness versus repeated multiple shot strings.

Gbal

I have a Mauser M03 with a .243 barrel

when its shot out, I'll buy another, or any from a number of calibres due to the versatility of the Mauser M03

I could keep the 243 for fox and buy a .308 for deer etc

something to consider . . .

Andrew

PS here is a useful Mauser M03 video if in case you are unfamiliar with the Mauser M03 rifle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w2TLXFggHY

A never ending list of considerations!!!!! Ok so the Remmy will stabilise 100gn deer legal bullets, will the Tikka not do the same with its standard twist rate of, I think 1in10. as I do like the Tikka stainless varmint, ideal for my foxing requirements.

so why go to the expense and trouble of a wildcat ?

you know why Dave-cos we can- and its in our nature to keep re-inventing the wheel.and what else would we waste our money on?

you know why Dave-cos we can- and its in our nature to keep re-inventing the wheel.and what else would we waste our money on?

Amen to that .

It is nice to own something a bit different, I had my .22 Hornet, Re barrelled and chambered in .22 K hornet partly because I hoped to increase accuracy, and performance, which it did, albeit only a small amount. But there was also an element of "having something different" and aesthetically it look a nicer shaped case!!!

Aj

I quite like Noah's approach-two of everything essential (and as many wildcats as you have room for).

Gbal

6mmbr with a fast twist for the 105 a-max, 75/87 v-max for ginger.

Just had one built on a t3 action, grs stock, 28" heavy archer barrel.

Feeds and ejects no problem with the original mag. (only tried dummy rounds of the 87/105 seated 10thou off the lands)

When time allows I'll get a post up of the build.

Archived