which 6mm ?

dylan5588

Well I had a std Tikka 595 in 243 with a 1 in 10 twist barrel and that shot 100gn bullets to well under 1 moa at 100yds. It also really liked 87gn Hornady bthp's and I think from memory 90gn noslers. I shot it out and rebarreled it with a Border 1 in 8 twist barrel and now feed it 105Amax and Berger Vlds.

For the type of use you are describing I'd of though a Tikka T3 would be hard to beat in .243.

No 243 is not the uber calibre of the moment but fox or deer won't tell the difference and for a workhorse gun with readily available ammunition what's not to like?

There are always exceptions to every rule.

I,ve managed to get SOME sako,s and Tikka,s to shoot 100 grain bullets with very careful hand loading and some real oddball loads. As a general rule of thumb, the 1 in 10" twist is not suitable for this weight, or factory ammo loaded with it.

The OP asked for a 6mm with consideration to barrel life in its everyday use as a vermin control rifle. I would assume that would require factory ammo , as most keepers/estate deer managers are given it.

Wildcats and exotics are the spice of life , but are they realistic given the OP,s parameters ?

you have the best of both worlds with a .243 win as its readily available of the shelf ammo and also a true wildcatted caliber

There are always exceptions to every rule.

I,ve managed to get SOME sako,s and Tikka,s to shoot 100 grain bullets with very careful hand loading and some real oddball loads. As a general rule of thumb, the 1 in 10" twist is not suitable for this weight, or factory ammo loaded with it.

The OP asked for a 6mm with consideration to barrel life in its everyday use as a vermin control rifle. I would assume that would require factory ammo , as most keepers/estate deer managers are given it.

Wildcats and exotics are the spice of life , but are they realistic given the OP,s parameters ?

I am a self employed pest controller, so cost effective hand loads are a big consideration for me, also, I enjoy the hobby of hand loading, with all the science that goes with it. So I will be reloading any cartridge I end up choosing.

Aj

With the volume of shooting you'll be doing having lots of brass will be a benefit. That's the thing I like about .243 - lots of once fired brass a good prices kicking about, from Winchester to Lapua. I like the .243, but that's my preference, in time it might be something else (which is why the slot on my ticket is 6mm). So many good options!

With the volume of shooting you'll be doing having lots of brass will be a benefit. That's the thing I like about .243 - lots of once fired brass a good prices kicking about, from Winchester to Lapua. I like the .243, but that's my preference, in time it might be something else (which is why the slot on my ticket is 6mm). So many good options!

I am leaning more and more towards .243 I must stay focussed and practical, It is after all predominantly a work tool for me, But I know someone will probably throw a curve ball at me just as I have made up my mind!!!!!

Archived