Higher capacity mag for a Tikka T3 light

Dunc

I've heard that it is possible, if expensive, to get a 10 shot mag for a T3 223. However, I can't find any references or links.

IIRC, it may have been an Australian company who do them or at least the conversion/baseplate or whatever.

Any links etc would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance. :)

The shooting shed is in the last stages of building a bespoke direct fit 10rd mag.

He is also making new bottom metal that accepts AICS mags to replace the plastic effort Tikka saw fit to lumber us with!

He's making aluminium bolt shrouds and replacement bolt handles as well.

When I spoke to him a week ago he was expecting to have the bits hitting the shelves in a month or so.

They will be beautifully made if the reloading bits I've bought are anything to go by!

You can get CDI bottom metals here to take AI mags or from here

Really helpful, many thanks. Must look to see just how much work there is to do to

....will require a degree of stock inletting to ensure reliable feeding

adjust the stock.

Thanks. :)

Fitted a 10 shot AI 223 mag on a T3 last week, the mag itself needed quite a bit of fiddling to get to the right position. Opening in the T3 inlet is quite narrow. 308 mags fit better than the 223 mags.

MM sporting also has T3 mag systems for AI mags. long and short.

edi

Really helpful, many thanks. Must look to see just how much work there is to do to

adjust the stock.

Thanks. :)

If it's going into a wood stock, It's not lots of work so long as you take your time. I've done two into GRS stocks, the first took a couple of hours the second about an hour and a half. If it's a plastic stock I have know idea sorry.

Fitted a 10 shot AI 223 mag on a T3 last week, the mag itself needed quite a bit of fiddling to get to the right position. Opening in the T3 inlet is quite narrow. 308 mags fit better than the 223 mags.

MM sporting also has T3 mag systems for AI mags. long and short.

edi

Is there an after market bottom metal for the t3 that uses long action mags?

Third eye tactical have been making T3 floorplates for some time. I lent them the original.

The 223 magazine does not fit or work properly due to the action slot being too narrow to accept the fat plastic lips. Modifying them weakens them to the point they become unreliable.

The .308 magazine properly converted holds around 15 rounds and works flawlessly , every time, with no risk of failure.

The converted magazines are £100 plus postage.

• 1 month later...

Tried a .308 T3 mag in my .223 this morning loaded with 69gr MK 2.320 coal. It fed without a problem and fits 7 rounds in. Pic below of both 223 and 308 mags with 223 rounds in.

20131202_100119_zpse74bcdc6.jpg

Archived