Just ordered my new 308 from Baldie :-)

snake378

After a few weeks of deliberation and boring Dave with several "what do you think" phone calls I have just placed my order from Valkyrie ...........

.308 Win

Valhalla diamond fluted action,

24 inch Border Archer Barrel fluted with a 1 in 11 twist.

Jewel trigger

20 moa rail

side Ported muzzle Brake

Daves 5 shot Mag system

Manners T5 stock (still cant decide on paint finish yet !)

A Tech Maxim

All metal bead blasted

Just though I needed to tell someone as it have a large grin stapled to my face at the moment but its going to be a long hard winter waiting for it !...

Special thanks to "Onehole" for teaching me how to dial properly, the endless brews, the advice, the loading lessons AND getting me up to 450 yard rabbits with my .223 .....(his loads)

Snake378

i was down at Daves "den" a few weeks back and let me have a butchers at the actions he had in -i was very impressed with the quality and workmanship[unlike the tea :P ]

i think your grin will be a lot bigger when you get the build in your mitts.

As to colour , get a molded in colour rather than painted

Yeah, if you want to wait another 12 months..... :huh:

Nothing wrong with duracoat. Its what Manners are painted in from the factory. This and the fact their moulded in colours are an aquired taste.

• 3 weeks later...

Snake,

Sounds like an 'everything you need, nothin' you don't build , should be nice,

Agree, the problem with being able to choose everything, colour etc. mean you are spoilt for choice :)

Terry

i was down at Daves "den" a few weeks back and let me have a butchers at the actions he had in -i was very impressed with the quality and workmanship[unlike the tea :P ]

i think your grin will be a lot bigger when you get the build in your mitts.

Hope he has some proper tea bags in when I go tight stripey deckchair

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers Chaps, I must admit I cant wait, have been shooting a long time but thanks to "onehole for introducing me to long range varminting and making me realise what a good build and home loads can do. Its a retirement present to myself and im sure it will be worth every penny :-).. will be posting piccys when its done I can assure you ! :-)

• 3 weeks later...

Talking to Dave the other day, I was slightly surprised to hear most of his recent custom builds had been specified for .308 Win as is this one. Not that I've got anything against 308 Win - quite the opposite - but had expected to hear 6.5X47mm was still the 'in' chambering. Just goes to show what goes around, comes around!

Talking to Dave the other day, I was slightly surprised to hear most of his recent custom builds had been specified for .308 Win as is this one. Not that I've got anything against 308 Win - quite the opposite - but had expected to hear 6.5X47mm was still the 'in' chambering. Just goes to show what goes around, comes around!

And yet I have heard the .260 rem, is now favoured by some of the top riflesmiths over the 6.5x47. We seem to be as bad as women with shoes / handbags!

Before someone shoots me, I think they are all good calibres, personally just trying to decide between the 260 and 6.5x47 for the 123-130grain.

ATB,

MB

After a few weeks of deliberation and boring Dave with several "what do you think" phone calls I have just placed my order from Valkyrie ...........

.308 Win

Valhalla diamond fluted action,

24 inch Border Archer Barrel fluted with a 1 in 11 twist.

Jewel trigger

20 moa rail

side Ported muzzle Brake

Daves 5 shot Mag system

Manners T5 stock (still cant decide on paint finish yet !)

A Tech Maxim

All metal bead blasted

Just though I needed to tell someone as it have a large grin stapled to my face at the moment but its going to be a long hard winter waiting for it !...

Special thanks to "Onehole" for teaching me how to dial properly, the endless brews, the advice, the loading lessons AND getting me up to 450 yard rabbits with my .223 .....(his loads)

Snake378

Enjoy the .308, can recommend B&Q for colour match pot choice!!

And yet I have heard the .260 rem, is now favoured by some of the top riflesmiths over the 6.5x47. We seem to be as bad as women with shoes / handbags!

Before someone shoots me, I think they are all good calibres, personally just trying to decide between the 260 and 6.5x47 for the 123-130grain.

ATB,

MB

Pretty much ballistic twins (or triplets if you squeeze in the Creedmore-target reloader oriented?)

260 has a little more capacity,impeccable parents,and has the edge as a dependable tactical cartridge,as well as off the shelf availability,and more price choices.

6.5x47 maybe has a little more 'afficionado' status,in the afficionado's mind--but it might well be my choice for a non mag feed build for top accuracy,

and it might just deliver.(If I had thousands of 140g,the 260,but if 123s the 6.5;I don't mean the 6.5 can't feed,or that all 6.5s are more accurate than all 260s.)

If we are reduced to handbags,OK it's just newer (but still last season's.)

Gbal

Slightly off the main topic and I dont want to detract from the subject,

But;

I get asked for 10 -1 in favour of 6.5x47

Both 260 and 47 will reach 1000 with ease and both are very accurate cartridges.

However I believe the 47 has the edge in the same way the PPC case does.

It just plain works.

Both 260 and 47 will kill any UK quarry species.

The only difference being that the 260 takes more powder and will accomodate a 10 g heavier bullet,

6.5x47 gets my vote every time.

• 4 months later...

Well its been almost six months and now I really am getting excited :-) according to the master "Baldie" its due within the next two weeks ...... Piccys to follow then its off to the moor with "Onehole" and get my NXS set up. We are just sorting out a couple of home loads for the 155 Amax and we will be away. :D :D :D

Slightly off the main topic and I dont want to detract from the subject,

But;

I get asked for 10 -1 in favour of 6.5x47

Both 260 and 47 will reach 1000 with ease and both are very accurate cartridges.

However I believe the 47 has the edge in the same way the PPC case does.

It just plain works.

Both 260 and 47 will kill any UK quarry species.

The only difference being that the 260 takes more powder and will accomodate a 10 g heavier bullet,

6.5x47 gets my vote every time.

The 260 v 6.5x47 keeps cropping up on this forum. Laurie now has a 260, a 6.5x47 and a 6.5 Creedmoor. When time permits, he's going to compare all three, side by side 100 to 1000 yards - should be interesting.

Anticipate a pretty much 'nothing between them' verdict but you always learn something new from Lauries analysis & posts........I am a firm 260 fan but would doubtless be very happy with either of the others.

Well I have "Onehole" to sort my loads out and we are already working on a couple that should do the job nicely according to his trophy cabinet ! I am just waiting for the chance to test it with a couple loads we have sorted already then get then the fired cases reloaded and see where it goes from there.

As you may have guessed I cannot wait till I get the "I have sent it to "Ian Hodge Field sports Wadebridge" delivery notice and i can assure you i will be waiting for the postman !!!!!

Snake :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have it now :-) its on the custom rifle showcase and I absolutely love it, Just getting used to putting rounds through it and the groups are getting tighter and tighter, managed a 1/2 MOA at 200 yards in 17mph winds on Bodmin Moor a few days ago with "Onehole" so all good so far :-)..

More than worth the wait

Archived